Gawd! This cake is so fudgy and moist and chocolaty! If I wasn't on a diet, I would have polished off half the cake LOL!
I made this cake for the first time for my family dinner gathering. It was such a fuss free cake. No cake mixer is involved because you basically dump the butter, sugar and milk into a saucepan. Put the saucepan on the stove on low heat and stir until the sugar dissolves.
Once the mixture is cool, add eggs, flour and cocoa powder. Stir to combine, pour into baking pan and steam for 35 minutes. Like?
I did not know what to expect but judging from the rave reviews on a few blogs, I knew I could expect something good. My cake did not rise very much, it was kind of flat. And I was worried.
After I frosted the cake, it was time to have a taste and decide if the cake was fit to serve. And gosh! It was so moist and fudgy. Simply amazing. When I told my Mum that the cake was steamed and not baked, she said that she could not tell the difference.
Actually, this is the second steamed chocolate cake I attempted. The first one was from another source and the cake had too much cocoa powder. And for 150g flour it contains 250g sugar (faints!) which of course I reduced significantly. The cake turned out coarse and very dense. Not a happy outcome. I almost threw the cake away when my partner told me to give it away to a group of people. "They will eat anything" he said. And they did LOL!
So anyone who loves moist fudgy chocolate cakes that are easy to make, please try this recipe. This cake I believe is good on its own but the chocolate frosting makes it extra special.
Fudgy Steamed Chocolate Cake
Recipe source : Adapted from Vivian Pang's Kitchen
- 180g butter
- 120g light brown sugar
- 200ml full cream evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons of rum (optional, but I love my booze)
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten with fork
- 100g self-raising flour
- 50g cocoa powder
Chocolate ganache topping :
- 200g dark chocolate
- 100ml whipping cream
- 10g butter
1. Put all (A) ingredients into a saucepan and stir over low heat until sugar has dissolved and butter has melted. Remove from heat to cool completely.
2. Add beaten eggs into (A) and stir till well mix.
3. Sift dry ingredients from (C) into a mixing bowl. Pour in butter/egg mixture (from step 2) and whisk to combine.
4. Pour batter into a greased and lined 8 inch round baking pan and cover the pan loosely with aluminium foil.
5. Bring steamer to rapid boil. Place the cake pan into the steamer and lower the heat to medium and steam the cake for about 35-45 minutes. (I recommend that you check at 35 minutes. If the cake is set and the cake tester come out with a bit of moist crumbs, you are done. Over steaming will result in a hard and dense cake)
7. Prepare ganache by melting chocolate, butter and whipping cream using double boiler. Once melted remove from heat. Stir till smooth and pour the ganache over cake.