Monday 25 August 2014

Chocolate Orange Ring Cake


This cake tastes as good as it looks. I'll admit that there was a whole lot of spatula, spoon and plate licking in the process of baking this cake hah..hah...hah...

Have you ever tasted orange glaze? God it's GOOD! I couldn't help digging the remnants from the mixing bowl and licking my spoon. The word DIABETES flashed before my eyes. Madam, cease and desist!


I'll have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed baking this cake. It's an easy cake to bake and with all that drippy chocolate and orange glaze, it sure looks impressive. One would be forgiven to think that you slaved all day in the kitchen. It is not really necessary to embellish this cake as it tastes really good even without the fixings. And this is how it will look like :


Honestly, I chose to bake this cake because I was attracted to the photo in the book. It was really pretty. Besides, I knew chocolate and orange make for a good combination. The recipe calls for baking powder even though self-raising flour is used. I was a little bit worried that there might be a typo error. But I decided to follow the instructions anyway.


The cake rose really well in the oven. I think the addition of baking powder gave it that extra boost. It was quite a joy to watch. It took 40 minutes for the cake to be baked.


I had quite a bit of fun with the orange glaze (besides stuffing my face) and melted chocolate. But I admit, using a spoon to drizzle the glaze and chocolate was quite clumsy for me. I used two measuring cups the second time around. It was lots easier.


I reduced the sugar from 200g to 160g but found that it was still way too sweet. It would have been OK if the cake was not glazed. The second time, I reduced the amount further to 140g. Perfect! 


This cake is very moist with tender crumbs. A really, really good cake. One that I would bake often.  I have made some changes to the quantities of ingredients used and also the method employed.


This cake is a keeper. Seriously, if you want a good Orange and Chocolate Cake in your collection, please add this one. Honestly, even after baking this cake twice, I can't wait to bake it again. And now confessions. Look at what I did.


That plate up there was licked clean right after I was done hah...hah...hah... Bake this cake, but don't do what I did :)











Chocolate Orange Ring Cake
Recipe source : Easy Chocolate page 21
(My notes and adaptations in red)

Ingredients :
- 2 small oranges (1 big orange)
- 85g plain chocolate, grated (100g)
- 250g self-raising flour
- 1.5 tsp baking powder (yes, even though we are using self-raising powder)
- 175g butter softened (250g evil as usual)
- 200g caster sugar (140g but if not glazing the cake I would used 160g)
- Zest from 1 orange
- Juice from 1 orange
- 3 eggs, beaten

For the topping :
For orange glaze :
- 175g icing sugar (70g)
- 2 tbsp orange juice (more or less, test with 1 tbsp first and then add)
- 1 tbsp orange zest

For chocolate :
- 55g plain chocolate, broken into pieces

Method :
(To avoid confusion, I only provided the method which I adapted from the original recipe which I think is simpler and easier to follow)
1. Preheat oven to 160C.
2. Generously butter a 10" bundt pan and set aside.
3. Mix self-raising flour and baking powder together and sift. Set aside.
4. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and creamy.
5. Gradually add beaten eggs in three additions, beating will between additions.
6. Add orange zest and mix in using a spatula.
7. Fold in the grated chocolate.
8. Fold in flour.
9. Pour batter into the bundt pan and bake for 40 minutes or until skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.
10. Remove cake from oven and let cool for about 20 minutes before unmoulding onto a plate.

To make orange glaze :
1. Sift icing sugar into a bowl and add orange zest.
2. Add 2 or more tbsp orange juice and whisk to to get a coating consistency.

To make chocolate glaze :
1. Melt chocolate in a bowl over a double boiler.
2. Add 1 tbsb butter and stir to mix.
3. Remove from heat.
4. If the chocolate is too thick, add 3/4 - 1 tbsp hot water to thin it.

Drizzle orange glaze and melted chocolate over the cake. Allow to set before serving.


Photobucket

This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Diana of Domestic Goddess Wannabe.




This post is also linked to Cook-Your-Books #15 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.

66 comments:

  1. Nice! I think I've seen smaller ones served at high teas at the hotels...looking just like yours. Gee! You're good at this. I can imagine the mess I would make. Hehehehehehe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Morning sweetie.. I can imagine myself digging and licking from the middle of the ring.. I think the first thing I'll do (if I see or bake this cake) is to dig those creamy and sticky goodness with a spoon (I can't do it with my finger this time, the hole is too deep I guess) and lick the spoon clean first, before slicing the cake, haha.. The butter-orange-chocolate cake ingredients look ok, simple, I think can follow, but I won't be doing the glaze if you know me well.. I know it's a keeper even before I bake it.. Orange-butter (chocolate) cake can never go wrong lah, anytime, anywhere, with or without glaze!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louiz! When I was licking my spoon, I thought of you hee..hee..This cake is good. So moist and soft. I ate one slice but could not resist having another one. And whatever that was stuck to the plate, I sapu all of it. For the next few days I must not eat any cakes liao. This weekend no guarantee lah hee..hee..

      Delete
  3. oh drooling drooling drooling on a wet Monday morning!! my saliva makes it even a wetter day, muahahaha!!! I have to say, this is sinfully delicious~~ @.@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SK, if anyone did not drool over this cake, something is seriously wrong with that person muahahahaha!

      Delete
  4. chocolate and orange, perfect combination and the look of the ring cake was fabulous!! nice shape and look at the drizzles (or whatever baking terms you have for it), makes it look so tempting and sexy.. like calling you "come, come, come and eat me!!"..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, this cake is visually stunning. The one on the book is even more gorgeous because they sprinkled orange zest on the top too. That's why I baked the cake - based on the photo.

      Delete
  5. no wonder no wonder, you gasak the whole cake up!! muahaha.. you may warn us not to do the same, but I guess many won't be able to resist at all, eg: me!!! but okay la, looking at the fork and I think the cake isn't that huge a piece, so no need to feel guilty, as long as you enjoyed it.. what's life?? agree?? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Halo...I didn't eat the whole cake lah. But looking at that photo, it looks like I did, hor? That was the last piece to be packed away but it broke (I did not do this on purpose) and therefore not fit to be given away. So I gasak lah including whatever that was stuck to the plate hah,,hah..

      Delete
  6. I like the chocolate and orange drizzle on the cake....they make the cake looks so elegant! Well done, PH. You bake twice, I believe this cake must be so tasty!

    Forget about diabetes for a moment while eating! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jozelyn! Yes, I love the look that the drizzles brought to the cake. OK, I will forget about diabetes but for the next few days, no more cake for me. But this weekend...hmmmm..,maybe hee..hee...

      Delete
  7. Wah ..I love orange and choc ! Send.to me !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Om nom nom nom nom~ You are tempting me with this recipe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, you can adapt it and call it the Lazy Man's Cake! Just mix everything up in a bowl. You don't really need a cake mixer for this and just ignore the glazing. It will still taste really good.

      Delete
  9. Wow, this cake is really very tempting.....look at that moist and that chocolate drizzle on top....no wonder it can be finished all time in no time. Ok, ok, will do this cake soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel! It is a really delicious cake. Looks good, smells good and tastes good! Try it, you won't be disappointed.

      Delete
  10. Hi Phong Hong,

    Aiyo... I sound like an old woman nagging... Must eat first and worry later! Otherwise, the cake will not be extra yummy :p

    If you didn't worry, I think the cake will be even more delicious... LOL!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe! hah..hah...most of the time I forget to worry when I want to eat cake hee..hee..

      Delete
  11. Wah... this must be good!! I love anything orange-gy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. PH, you make me wanna bake this cake now lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. orange glaze sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Phong Hong, I like lemon icing ... but with only 1/2 teaspoon of drizzle a slice LOL ... definitely will like the orange glaze too ... also just 1/2 teaspoon perhaps. Hee hee like what my kids had once commented on me "mom you might as well don't drizzle the icing ... 1/2 teaspoon can't even taste it ..." LOL ... Well, your 250g butter Chocolate Orange Ring Cake is sinfully delicious ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! I don't usually fancy icing but I will have to say that this one made me change my mind including the lemon one that I did previously. This sort of thing is way too sweet and having it once in a while is OK lah....

      Delete
  15. Perfect combination of orange and chocolate. Love how your drizzled the cake with melted choc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Veronica! It was fun and fulfilling baking this cake :)

      Delete
  16. I love this delicious cake. Chocolate and orange pair well. Thumbs up for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ann! I love this cake a lot too :)

      Delete
  17. Phong Hong!!! You make me lau nuao oh...... This is so good and beautiful.... Orange and chocolate is a perfect match and I am going to bookmark this recipe! Ho Jiak!!! Thanks for sharing and warmest regards :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy! hee..hee...this is "revenge" for the Canadian Lemon Pound Cake! Yes, you must bake this cake. It will be a hit!

      Delete
  18. Chocolate and orange is my fave combination! Oh I so gotta make this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mich! Yes, please do bake this cake. You will love it a lot!

      Delete
  19. I like everything about this cake, except the calories lol! Looks really moist!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, just eat. Don't think of the calories. hah..hah...hah,,, I am so evil :D

      Delete
  20. haha...jeannie is so funny....must teach her to be like you...eat first later diet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the spirit, Lena. Eat first, worry later!

      Delete
    2. Lena is so skinny so she can eats everything at sight….I can put on weight just thinking of the fatty food!

      Delete
    3. hah..hah...me smell only can put on 5lbs LOL!

      Delete
  21. I have to desist too! hahahaa...The lemon cake looks so delish! Hope one day I will find the chance to bake it... :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow...looks good leh....drooling now :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Phong Hong, you're very good in baking butter cake! Anymore for me??!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, you came too late. Mou chor hee..hee..

      Delete
  24. This cake really looks pretty.at first i thought you ate the whole cake yourself but found out that you didn't by reading the comments here. Guess it must be super duper delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mun! No, I can't eat the whole cake, It's a big cake hah..hah...It tastes really good. Feel like baking it again :)

      Delete
  25. Walau Eh! Your cake is very canggih, cantek, pretty and sui!!!...I thought it was a Thai Pumpkin Custard but it was a cake. So yummy! Will you ever invite bloggers to your home to have cakes & coffee? I used to tell my wife that a cake presentation is important to build one's appetite! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi TM! Thank you for your compliments. I was very pleased that this cake turned out so well and the orange and chocolate glaze made is look pretty :)

      Delete
  26. Oh Phong Hong, I love your bundt pan! And that glaze!! SLURP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Diana! That bundt pan is a simple one given to me by my auntie. It is being very well used!

      Delete
  27. Hi Phong Hong,
    Wow, such an irresistible cake! You "up" the butter, naughty but nice! haha!
    Cake looks really moist and super yummy! One slice is definitely not enough!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! Yup, this cake is so buttery and moist. The glaze made it even tastier. If I had my way, half the cake would have disappeared into my tummy LOL!

      Delete
  28. HI Phong Hong

    have been lurking around your blog for quite a while ..enjoy all your light hearted entries...and in fact, found that we have some similarities..eg i also prepare the ingredients in advance to speed up the process (i also bake right after i reach home), feeling upset when my schedule was messed up..etc..anyway, would like to try this cake but may i know if the oven temp of 160 degrees is for fan forced oven ? thks
    regards
    octopusmum

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Spyap! Thank you for your compliments and for visiting my blog :) OK, about the oven, Mine is a microwave convection oven. And yes, the fan comes on when I use it for baking. So I guess it is fan forced, yah? I am blur about ovens hah..hah...

      Delete
    2. thks for your reply:) i have microwave convection oven too! so it is actually 180 deg if using a convention oven...
      octopusmum

      Delete