Monday 18 August 2014

Madeira Cake


No more! No more of this business of cakes with low butter content. That is my stand after baking this exotic sounding cake.

The recipe calls for 1.75 cups of flour (224g) and 0.5 cup of ground almonds (85g) to 150g of butter. I felt that the ratio of butter was too low but I behaved myself and followed the recipe.



The batter was kind of dry to me but I kept my fingers crossed. My cake did quite well and rose very nicely in the oven. It smelled really good too. Buttery and orangey.

After the cake was done, I left it to cool. Later I sliced it to store in a container. The cake felt very dense and on the dryish side. I did not taste it as I wanted to do so the next day. My partner came home just before 5:00pm (don't worry, I packed his lunch for him in the morning) and headed straight for the cake container. "Eh sai chiak chi teh?" (can I have a slice?). "Eh sai......." (yes, you can).


Dry cake. Yuks!

He took a slice and munched. Dead silence. "How is it?". More munching. "Dry". I quickly snatched a bite from him. Yes, the cake was dry. I knew it. "But it smells nice. Butter smell". That was what he said as if to console me. That's it. No more! My resolution is when baking a butter or pound cake, the ratio of flour to butter must be 1:1. I know some of you may not agree but this is my stand.


The improved version with 250g butter.
The next morning, I baked another one. I tossed the dry one into the compost (where another disastrous bake lay buried, tell you about it another time). The cake had only a slight crack and smelled really good. It made me hungry at 5:00am on a Sunday morning. I couldn't wait to dig into the cake.

Moist with tender crumbs. That's how a good butter cake should be.

The cake was still slightly warm when I sliced it. And sure enough, it was moist and buttery with tender crumbs. A world of difference from the first cake. But the health conscious will cringe at the notion of high butter content in this cake. But seriously folks, butter is actually good for you. A recent issue of Time magazine highlighted how doctors and nutritionists are now admitting that they were wrong about butter and other good fats. You can read about it here. But of course that doesn't mean that you can drink your butter. Moderation is the key. I had only one slice of this cake :)




Madeira Cake
Recipe source : Classic Essential Cakes page 12
My evil adaptations in red

Ingredients :
- 150g butter (250g)
- 3/4 cup castor sugar (160g but I find this sweet. To use 140g in future)
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange or lemon zest (Zest from 2 oranges)
- 1/2 cup ground almonds (50g)
- 1 3/4 cups self-raising flour, sifted (200g)
- icing sugar for dusting 

Note : Combine the flour and ground almonds

Method :
1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs gradually, beating after each addition.
3. Add orange zest and beat until well combined.
4. Add the flour and ground almond mixture and fold to combine.
5. Spoon batter into a lined 23 x 13 x 7cm loaf pan and bake at 160C for 50 minutes or until skewer inserted into center of the cake comes out clean. (I tented the cake after 40 minutes)



Photobucket

This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Diana of Domestic Goddess Wannabe.




This post is also linked to Cook-Your-Books #15 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.

57 comments:

  1. I wish I could bake like you... So nice to make one's own cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to get started somewhere but you never did hee..hee..You should get down to it when Melissa comes home for the next school holiday :)

      Delete
  2. Wah, never say die huh.. I knew it, that you will sure try to bake another one the next day.. I bet if it was still early that day, you would have baked it on the same day! Haha.. For me, dry nevermind, can dunk in milk or milo, still nice.. But your second bake looks more appetizing leh, dunno whether it's becoz of the lighting or what.. But it looks more moist and "hoi wai".. So, finished liao?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louiz! Yah lah, I would have done it on the same day but it was late afternoon liao. Had to start dinner. The second bake is betul-betul moist and very good. Yup, finish liao. Very laku :)

      Delete
  3. ah, I wonder if the photo you showed us here was your first attempt or the more successful second attempt?? looks nice lah, the golden color and the moist and especially that you lay orange slices on top - this really made the cake so much sexier, like from plain Jane to a glamorous Kardashian!! haha..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SK, what you see is the first bake. The plain looking one (still in the baking pan) is the second one. The plain Jane more "ho liau" than the Kardashian. So don't just judge on pretty face LOL!

      Delete
  4. of course I can only cement based on the look, since I can't have a taste and that I certainly do not know how to bake at all.. I remember reading from your "twin" her 1-2-3 golden rule, but looks like yours is something 1-3-3 huh?? the butter and flour used gotta be on the same ratio..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guarantee you that the one with more butter is the best tasting one. I don't subscribe to low fat regime. Even yogurt, I cannot eat the low fat or no fat one. Taste like plastic to me.

      Delete
  5. Wow, you are daringly changing the measurement for butter and my.....thats lots! Well, it is no harm changing and adjust the recipe to suit to our taste. Im sure the cake taste reL good after your adjustment....i love buttery cakes too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel! Butter or pound cake must have enough butter or else not nice.

      Delete
  6. Hi Phong Hong, thanks for your attempts to make this cake better. Your verdict and recommendation is much appreciated. I will follow your 1:1 ratio. It looks buttery, soft and moist. One piece, please.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! You will not stop at one piece hee..hee...I was very tempted to eat more. Especially when I sliced it fresh and still slightly warm. My God! I must bake this cake again!

      Delete
  7. Your's looks nice, if i make, mine won't be so nice...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyah..you always say like that one....

      Delete
  8. Hi Phong Hong, the cake does look very nice and moist. Yes, I do agree with you. We just can't be stingy with butter if you want moist and fluffy cake. Butter is indeed actually good for us. I have been taking butter for more than 10 years instead of margarine. Margarine is a BIG NO NO for our family!
    Have a wonderful week ahead and regards :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ivy! Margarine is yuks! I tasted it when I was staying in a boarding school during my matriculation days, It is really horrible. I am a supporter of butter!

      Delete
  9. LOL...drink butter...good one...but i heard daily drink a spoon of olive oil will keep ones looking young leh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sophia Loren once said that her youthful looks is due to olive oil. Olive oil is good for our health and good for the skin. But I don't drink it neat like that because I cannot tahan the smell. I use it in salad dressings.

      Delete
  10. hahahaha! evil adaptation! i love evil...... can i jiak ng teh?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although we have to concern on our health but sometimes cannot compromise on taste too heeheehee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jess! Yes lah, after all we are not going to eat the whole cake, mah? Just one or two slices is OK.

      Delete
  12. Hi Phong Hong,

    You are funny with your evil adaptation.

    You are right... Dry cake is not nice! I see what you mean... I try not to be stingy with butter because dry cake goes to the bin so why waste the effort of baking :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe! I love my butter! I won't compromise on the taste of my cakes, besides butter is not evil if taken in moderation. Unless if I wallop the whole cake by myself hee..hee...

      Delete
  13. Hi, PH. I love very buttery cake too...I think you make a right choice by increasing the butter ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jozelyn! Yes, I am all for butter or else the cake won't taste good.

      Delete
  14. Oh wow!

    I am totally drooling now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lina, you can afford to eat this cake as you will burn it off during your marathon :)

      Delete
  15. Wow, you really threw away the one you deemed too dry? No one you know likes to eat dry food? I like to eat dry food. Can give me next time if the cakes you bake are too dry for you, ok? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mun, you are very funny hah..hah...Dry cake not nice lah! Maybe you can eat it with some butter spread on top or dunk in Milo like Princess Ribbon :)

      Delete
    2. Not trying to be funny. Really just give me next time. The suggestion you gave is good. Another way is to slice the cake into thin slices and toast the slices to become hard and eat them with coffee like biscotti. :)

      Delete
  16. I love buttery cake like this, yumz!

    Must start baking again la! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hayley! Yeah, why not? This cake is easy to bake.

      Delete
  17. I could see that you own a good camera. That's why your photography skills is good to make your food yummy and keep me drooling!
    Madeira Cakes is definitely my choice. Are you selling if got orders?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TM, my camera is just a simple digital camera. I did lots of editing. hah..hah...me sell cakes? Maybe one day post retirement :)

      Delete
  18. I liked that you did not give up after tfe first bake:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ola! I like to get it right :)

      Delete
  19. This 250g butter orangy cake sure looks moist and yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Karen. Must have lots of butter!

      Delete
  20. with so much butter, it'd better be moist! And the almond meal will bring the cake deliciousness up another level! I like! but I dare not bake!:P wait for my mooncakes to be gone first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, this is a good cake and must have the butter or else don't bother to bake hah..hah...

      Delete
  21. I always want to chiak chi teh!! =D

    ReplyDelete
  22. When I saw the orange slices on top, I wished I can eat this cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, this is a good cake. Buttery and orangey.

      Delete
  23. Hi PH,
    Nice butter cake! I also want to say : Eh sai chiak chi teh boh? he...he.............

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good call in making a new cake! For me, I don't like those low butter low sugar, so called health conscious recipes. When we eat a particular food, we should eat it as how it is supposed to be. You are either satisfied or not satisfied, there is no such thing as slightly satisfied or 50% satisfied when it comes to good food. If worried about the content of butter cake, then don't eat LOL! Same like those vegetarian meat. I always tell those people: "If wanna eat meat then eat la, don't lie to yourself by creating a lousy substitute" >.<

    ReplyDelete
  25. Dear Phong Hong, for sure when you make a bitter cake just butter it up!! (Just eat less?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, Diana! Up the butter but eat less? hee..hee...

      Delete
  26. Hi Phong Hong,
    Very nice cake! I'm like you, I like more butter, and 250gm is so easy to use one bar, no need to keep any "little-little" leftover butter, cluttering the fridge! Haha!
    I love eating moist and buttery cakes! Very sedap with a mug of hot black coffee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce, glad to hear that hah..hah...I love my buttery cakes!

      Delete
  27. Hi Phong Hong, I'm back again...this time to stay, and keep in touch (sometimes I just feel I can't express my feelings)...one of the reasons why I stay away, even from my own blog, and commenting! Personal issues in life gets in the way and it seems overwhelming at times!
    Enough of that! Your cake...as far as I'm concern is truly a delicious light perfection! If using more butter, you would have to use all-purpose flour and baking powder; but with the self rising flour...it automatically lightens any cake up so it needs less butter. In my experience with baking...I need to be able to control the texture, and I found that our self rising flours are too 'airy'!
    Your cake is so simple...yet so elegant with the orange zest added, and the presentation with the orange slices is so beautiful, and I would love to have a slice right now with my morning coffee!

    As a matter of fact, I'm going to figure out the conversion of the amt. of baking powder to add for the amt. used, and do want to bake this cake this week; post it, and link it back to you! Hugs,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elisabeth! Nice to see you here again! I understand what you mean about not being able to express your feelings and feeling overwhelmed. We all have those issues, it is a part of life.

      So far, I have not had any problems with the self-raising flour that we have over here, thank goodness. I am loving orange flavoured cakes these days. So this cake was really satisfying for the buttery and orangey aroma and flavour. Do take care!

      Delete