Or in other words, this is another of my lazy food prep strategies. This is the one that is dumped and cooked in my trusty rice cooker. And what come out is so super delicious heh...heh...
This was cooked on one of those food prep days when I was feeling blah and uninspired. I did not buy any extra ingredients for this food prep and I used what I had in the fridge/freezer - pork belly, celery, carrots, onion and canned button mushrooms.
I used my kitchen scissors to cut the pork into small pieces and seasoned them with light soya sauce, sesame oil and pepper (this is my mum's holy trinity seasoning). The carrots, onions and celery were cut into small cubes while the button mushrooms were sliced.
And then there is a not-so-secret-ingredient. What is it? Lap cheong! One lap cheong, cut into small cubes and sauteed together with the cubed vegetables. So fragrant!
And this was how easy it was. Heat oil - saute carrots, onions and celery until aromatic - add lap cheong and saute some more - add marinated pork and saute until it changes color - add light soya sauce+oyster sauce+thick soya sauce - stir to combine - add rice - stir to combine - transfer everything into the rice cooker- add water - switch the rice cooker on!
Then relax. Well not really. Do the washing up hah..hah...I added the canned mushrooms only at the end since they do not need cooking.
Once cooked, I portion this delicious rice into glasslock containers and once completely cooled, I store them in the freezer for future consumption.
So there you have it, another of my food prep dishes that is easy to prepare and yet so delicious.
Rice Cooker Savory Rice
Recipe source : PH
- 3 cups basmati rice, washed, saoked for 20 minutes and drained
- 5 cups water to cook the rice
- 1 strip pork belly, cut into small pieces
- 1 clove garlic, fine minced
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 lap cheong, casing removed and cut into small cubes
- 1 rib celery, cut into small cubes
- 1 small carrot, cut into small cubes
- 1/2 red onion, cut into small cubes
- 5 button mushrooms, sliced (I used canned muchrooms)
Seasoning, mix together :
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp thick soya sauce
1. Marinate the pork belly with garlic, soya sauce, sesame oil and pepper. Set aside of 30 minutes.
2. Heat oil in wok and saute celery, carrot and onion until aromatic and onion is translucent.
3. Add lap cheong and continue to saute until aromatic.
4. Add marinated pork belly and stir fry until pork is no longer pink.
5. Add seasoning and stir to mix.
6. Add rice and stir until rice is coated with the seasoning.
7. Transfer into rice cooker, add water and stir to ensure everything is properly mixed.
8. Turn on the rice cooker and cook like usual.
9. Once rice is cooked, portion out into individual glass containers and let cool completely before storing in the freezer.