Thursday 22 August 2019

Cor Blimey, Damansara Uptown


The last time I was at Cor Blimey was probably back in 2018 and I did not write about it until early this year. 


I wanted to see if I would have a different experience this time. I ordered the same thing that I had on my first visit - the Atlantic Cod. For drinks, I had iced coffee. 


While waiting, I took a look at the Friday lunch set menu.


Maybe I could have that on my next visit, if I found my current order acceptable.


There is also a menu for chicken and pies.


This was my order of Atlantic Cod, mushy peas and chunky chips (a heart stopping RM54.80 including the iced coffee).


The fish was good this time, firm and flaky unlike the last time when it was mushy and had a weird taste. The mushy peas were not as good and I did not like the chips because the potatoes were powdery and had a raw taste. 


On another visit, I had the lunch Set A (I added RM2.00 for an ice lemon tea), opting to pay an extra RM4.00 to replace dory with snapper (total RM28.50).

Goodness. How do you call this Signature Fish & Chips? The fish was so small and so thin! 


Not worth it at all. And then when I ate the squid rings, I found something I have never seen before.


There was something like rubber band in the squid rings.


Is this something naturally occurring in squid?


Each squid ring had this thing in it. So I guess I won't be ordering this set ever again. As for the regular fish and chips, well, it's too expensive to eat on a regular basis. Besides it was not remarkable, so I don't think I will be back.

19 comments:

  1. Yes, that rubber band thing is natural in squid and is removed when cleaning and preparing the squid for cooking. Guess they did not clean the squid well enough and since the food quality has gone down, I guess this place will not stay long. Bye Bye soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how ell they are doing as they open at 5:00pm except on weekends. Many shops are closing....

      Delete
  2. LOL at the small piece of fish! it looks more like pisang goreng size!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I agree with Nux V that it looked like Pisang Goreng! What a robbery meal. Muahahahaha
    Honestly, I never believed that English Fish & Chips are rated so good until I ate them in London's Soho. My wife and I were blown over while eating the delicious platter. I remembered Mun telling me that I must try it. Yums!

    You know what? I must go and try it, minus the squid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lucky you got to eat the real deal! I am waiting for my chance to eat Fish n Chips in London LOL!

      Delete
  4. They didn't clean and removed the plastic thing in the squid. Geez. I love fried squids and would expect my squids to be properly cleaned and cooked. Yummy fish and chips. Love flaky fish fillet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never knew about that elastic thing in squid hah..hah..

      Delete
  5. Not a very good experience with the thin fish and especially the rubber band thing in the squid.

    ReplyDelete
  6. coincidentally, someone asked me this week where to get great fish and chips in kl - we need to compile a proper list of those places :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, please do compile a list! I would certainly appreciate that :)

      Delete
  7. I guess for half the price of the regular fish & chips, that's how much fish you get. Luckily I've never had the misfortune of encountering that rubber band thing in squid but I've encountered powdery taste in chips before. I also don't know what cause that. If I had to guess, it'd be the type of potatoes used. Did you encounter that in the chips the second time round? Actually, I also don't like the colour of the mushy peas or the overdressed coleslaw. I guess Cor Blimey is off the table for me. >_<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the chip were powdery the second time too. How could they ever call themselves British Fish & Chips!

      Delete
  8. As long as it's not dory, count me in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yeah, that's a natural part of the squid, but it should be removed when cleaned and prepared before cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, it wasn't and it was such a weird experience!

      Delete
  10. That's very gross of that rubber thingy in your squid rings! Did you question the staff regarding this?

    ReplyDelete