So what to do with leftover grated zucchini? Surely not fritters again, though in all honesty - I WANT FRITTERS!!! But no, cannot be having fritters two weeks in a row, can we?
It also happened that I had two very ripe bananas which I kept in the fridge to prevent then from rotting. Yes, yes, I did think of cekodok (banana fritters) but no. Instead I looked for and found this Banana Zucchini Bread recipe.
It's been a while since I baked a cake and who knows, my baking mojo might come back this year. Since I conveniently have grated zucchini in the fridge and two really ripe bananas (that only needed peeling and mashing), Banana Zucchini Bread it was.
This type of cake or what is usually referred to as a quick bread is very simple to do. Only two bowls are required, one for the dry ingredients and another for the wet. Pour the liquids into the flour, gently mix with a spatula and you are ready to bake.
Since this is a quick bread, it is something like muffins, dense rather than fluffy. But I like it. Moist and chewy with very nice banana and cinnamon aroma. You won't be able to taste the zucchini, it's presence announced only when you see those green flecks.
So that's my breakfast for the week taken care of.
Banana Zucchini Bread
Adapted from : Real Housemoms
- 200g self-raising flour, sifted
- 1 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup of grated zucchini which has been squeezed to remove excess moisture
- 1/2 cup sugar (with this amount, the cake is barely sweet, so add more if you prefer sweeter)
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
1. In a mixing bowl, combine and whisk flour and cinnamon powder. Set aside.
2. In another mixing bowl, add oil, vanilla extract, sugar and egg. Whisk until combined and emulsified.
3. Add mashed bananas and zucchini and mix to combine.
4. Pour the mixture into the flour and using a spatula, gently fold the mixture until just combined.
5. Pour batter into lined loaf pan and bake at 160C for 40-45 minutes or until skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean.