Thursday 23 February 2017

Thai Style Beef Salad


The other day when I made my way to a new Thai eatery, Thai Beef Salad was on the menu. I did not order it because I reckon for the price charged, I might not get enough beef and that would leave me unsatisfied (how presumptuous).

The only way to assure myself that I would be getting all the ingredients I wanted was, of course, to make the salad myself. 

The recipe for Thai salad dressing is quite basic - lime juice, fish sauce and sugar. Instead of sugar, I prefer plum sauce for the depth of flavor. It is thick, sweet and sour.


I also added some sliced shallots and a stalk of lemongrass  to the dressing for extra flavor. What I like to do is prepare the dressing ahead of time to let all the flavors infuse.


As for the beef, just a light seasoning of salt and pepper and give it a good sear in the pan. How long? That depends on how well you want it cooked. 

As usual, I just tembak-tembak on my timing and the middle is still pink. 


This salad made for a very filling and satisfying low carb lunch. I think I better lay off beef for a while heh...heh... Not too good to eat it so often.


Thai Style Beef Salad
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :

For salad :
- 300g ribeye steak
- some romaine lettuce
- grated carrots
- cherry tomatoes, each cut into 2
- cucumber, sliced
- some coriander/mint leaves

For dressing :
- juice from 3 limes
- 1 heaped tbsp plum sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 lemongrass, bruised

Method :
1. Make the dressing first by mixing lime juice, plum sauce and fish sauce.
2. Taste and adjust for sour, sweet and salty.
3. Once you are happy, add shallots and lemongrass. Set the dressing aside for flavors to infuse.
4. To cook the beef, season lightly with salt and pepper.
5. Heat oil in pan and once very hot, sear the beef. Cooking time depends on how done you want it. I cooked mine for about 3 minutes each side.
6. Once cooked, set beef on a plate to let it rest for about 10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, assemble the other salad ingredients.
8. Once beef is rested, slice thinly.
9. Arrange sliced beef on top of vegetables and drizzle with the dressing or you could toss the salad.

32 comments:

  1. Wah! Your salad looks very tasty. Now you have egg and salad diet pula. Soon you will become Pink Panther and get blown off by wind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Unfortunately, no. In spite of whatever diet, my size hardly changes :( :( :(

      Delete
  2. Bom dia, receita perfeita que certamente é saborosa, excelente partilha que ou guardar.
    AG

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice dressing. You know PH, daging bakar cicah air asam lebih kurang je ni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ye ke, ticer? PH not yet tried daging bakar cicah air asam.

      Delete
  4. Great looking salad! I don't eat beef and I think this salad would be delish even if meatless! The dressing sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Can substitute with chicken or better still, chicken feet :)

      Delete
  5. Sedap ni ratah2 jer kan PH...masam2..manis siket..meletop dalam mulut kikii

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Betul tu, Lina! PH makan gitu jer pun dah kenyang.

      Delete
  6. I think this time you nailed medium rare. The salad dressing sounds zesty, so it'd be something I'd enjoy. I eat salads like these whenever I can too...with different proteins :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did? Thank you! I love the dressing as it is so perky.

      Delete
  7. I had a late dinner today, but after seeing your salad, makes me feel like eating it, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  8. the first photo is perfect already! you've done the beef to my ideal done-ness for a salad, heheh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Without the bloodiness, that is..hee..hee..

      Delete
  9. What a lovely first photo. Looks enticing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've had chicken or bacon with my salad sometimes and maybe, smoked duck too, never had beef but when I make my own at home, I do not add meat, just boiled prawns...and long ago, I used to add those canned cocktail sausages, Tulip. Dunno if I should try beef - we do not get fresh beef here, just the imported ones, the better ones being from Australia or New Zealand, not cheap. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love smoked duck! So yummy and I love it in salads too.

      Delete
  11. Looks good! It's been a while since I had thai beef salad too, I like the appetizing taste of it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy I satisfied my craving hee..hee..

      Delete
  12. moo moo...i like moo moo.... oink oink also can :p

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yelah PH.... I perasan lately, you ha always take beef tau...nasib sedar diri hihi....

    Betullah PH kalau makan beli ni, kadang tu tak puas makan kan.... confirm sayur yg banyak banding daging....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...kan, kalo tidak, nanti masuk IJN susah plak.

      Delete
  14. I prefer the colour of the previous steak you cooked. This one looks a bit too pink for me but I will eat those salad leaves any time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree this one is more on the raw side. I could have cooked another minute of so and it would be better.

      Delete
  15. Looks good! I will substitute with other meat...I am not a fan of pink looking beef and well done beef is tough!

    ReplyDelete