Another thing I found while cleaning my fridge was a bag of green apples. Hmmm.... I bought these on a whim when I was so motivated to bake apple pie bars.
Mind you, Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars. I tell you, I cannot visit Sally's Baking Addiction without getting all worked up and wanting to bake all the goodies that I see.
As you can tell, my enthusiasm cools down just as fast as it is ignited. So the poor Granny Smith apples lay untouched behind my fridge drawer.
Since I was on a break, I decided not to waste these perfectly good apples. So I turned to Alex Goh's Creative Making of Cakes for some ideas (because those darn Salted Caramel Apple Pie Bars were too much work. Hah!).
On my Sunday grocery run I made sure to buy some plain yogurt.
As I was getting ready for action, I realized that under instruction number 4, the apples had to be boiled until soft. Bah!
I know, I should have read the instructions more thoroughly. But seriously, if I had written that recipe, I would have put that under instruction number 1. Makes more sense, don't you think?
It was too late and I decided to grate the apples instead. It worked out fine except that my cake was lacking in the sweet department because I reduced the sugar too much.
But still, this is a lovely cake. The scent of apples , cinnamon and butter make for a happy smell. My kind of aromatherapy.
Yogurt Apple Cake
Recipe source : Adapted from Creative Making of Cakes (page 56)
- 250g butter
- 200g sugar (My reduction to 180g from 230g was way too low)
- 5 eggs
- 140ml yogurt
- 300g self raising flour + 1 tsp cinnamon powder, sifted
- 2 large Granny Smith apples, peeled and grated
- 50g raisins, tossed in 1 tsp of flour (to prevent sinking)
1. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until well combined.
3. Add flour and yogurt alternately. Fold gently to combine.
4. Fold in grated apples and raisins.
5. Pour batter into a lined and greased 8" round pan.
6. Bake at 160C for 60 minutes of until skewer inserted into center of cake comes out clean.
Note : I tented the cake after 50 minutes.