The other day when I made my way to a new Thai eatery, Thai Beef Salad was on the menu. I did not order it because I reckon for the price charged, I might not get enough beef and that would leave me unsatisfied (how presumptuous).
The only way to assure myself that I would be getting all the ingredients I wanted was, of course, to make the salad myself.
The recipe for Thai salad dressing is quite basic - lime juice, fish sauce and sugar. Instead of sugar, I prefer plum sauce for the depth of flavor. It is thick, sweet and sour.
I also added some sliced shallots and a stalk of lemongrass to the dressing for extra flavor. What I like to do is prepare the dressing ahead of time to let all the flavors infuse.
As for the beef, just a light seasoning of salt and pepper and give it a good sear in the pan. How long? That depends on how well you want it cooked.
As usual, I just tembak-tembak on my timing and the middle is still pink.
This salad made for a very filling and satisfying low carb lunch. I think I better lay off beef for a while heh...heh... Not too good to eat it so often.
Thai Style Beef Salad
Recipe source : Phong Hong
For salad :
- 300g ribeye steak
- some romaine lettuce
- grated carrots
- cherry tomatoes, each cut into 2
- cucumber, sliced
- some coriander/mint leaves
For dressing :
- juice from 3 limes
- 1 heaped tbsp plum sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 shallot, thinly sliced
- 1 lemongrass, bruised
1. Make the dressing first by mixing lime juice, plum sauce and fish sauce.
2. Taste and adjust for sour, sweet and salty.
3. Once you are happy, add shallots and lemongrass. Set the dressing aside for flavors to infuse.
4. To cook the beef, season lightly with salt and pepper.
5. Heat oil in pan and once very hot, sear the beef. Cooking time depends on how done you want it. I cooked mine for about 3 minutes each side.
6. Once cooked, set beef on a plate to let it rest for about 10 minutes.
7. Meanwhile, assemble the other salad ingredients.
8. Once beef is rested, slice thinly.
9. Arrange sliced beef on top of vegetables and drizzle with the dressing or you could toss the salad.