Tuesday 6 December 2016

Turtle Brownies


My camera died on me when I was ready to snap some pics of these brownies. The tell tale signs were there for some weeks already. The "replace battery" sign kept coming on even though the batteries were new.

But I kept manipulating the battery compartment to turn the camera on and it seemed to work. Until that day that is.


I actually bought a new camera as a contingency plan but I still hadn't taken the time to learn how to use it. Luckily, I still have another old camera which is also faulty but I managed to make it work.

Anyway, let me tell you about these brownies. Turtle Brownies. Don't expect to see turtles but these are totally awesome. It is a brownie topped with caramel coated pecans and then drizzled with melted chocolate.


I have not been baking for a while. I just lost my baking mojo and I don't know why. But last weekend, I took a step to break the jink.

Due to my lack of practice, I overbaked the brownies. It was a bit dry and crumbly as you may have noticed.

Making the topping was a bit of a hassle but totally worth the effort. Imagine caramel coated roasted pecans. How delicious is that?


I was very half hearted when preparing the melted chocolate which explains those so so piping. Actually these brownies tasted just as amazing without the chocolate topping. But then, they won't be proper Turtle Brownies without. 


Try these. They are one of the best brownies I have ever tasted.

Sorry, I was in no mood to write down the recipe. I intend to make some tweaks and pass on some tips to you guys but I am still kind of upset over my camera issues :(

So if you are in a hurry to bake these brownies, please see the recipe here.


36 comments:

  1. Too bad far away, if not i can be your guinea pig, haha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucky for us you have contingency plans or else we won't have any photos to see. Pecans and chocolate so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to have a contingency or else I won't be able to post without photos.

      Delete
  3. New camera? I wish I could afford one too. Getting bored with the one I'm using, still doing well but it has been a long time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was saving for a good one and now I have spent it hah..hah..

      Delete
  4. This brownie looks nice and lovely with pecans. My favourite nuts!
    You just mumbled this - "Try these. They are one of the best brownies I have ever tasted." Can I give you my address?

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a lot of pecans....costly too! Actually, I was expecting turtle shaped brownies when I clicked on the post. If no "turtles" are involved, why are they called turtle brownies?? ^_*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very costly. Macadamias are even worse >.<

      Delete
  6. Hi Phong Hong, aiyoyo, something I haven't been having for sometime. Agree with you these look good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! They are very good. Dangerous lor...

      Delete
  7. Sedap brownies tu PH..mesti krup krap jer kan time makan tu..
    Bahaya ni..suap² tgk tggal piring jer hahaaa.
    Tak sedar dah licin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.. Betul tu Lina. That's why PH cepat2 share dengan kawan2.

      Delete
  8. Hi Phong Hong, I would eat at least 2-3 of this brownies with a cup of hot coffee right now! Look really yummy :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann! I almost finished half a pan hah..hah...

      Delete
  9. Delicious brownies! Looks delicious and I know sure to taste delicious too! I really want to try but I am too far away.

    ReplyDelete
  10. nyum !!! sedapnye !! tapi i tengah diet.. kalau tak boleh oder..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh! Tadi sakit gigi... tengok turtle brownies PH terasa gigi dah sembuh ha ha haaa....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... Amie, brownies pun boleh jadi penawar!

      Delete
  12. Wonky cameras are the worst ... out of pure curiosity, was it a canon? I've used Sony, Panasonic, canon, and currently Fuji over the years, and the two cameras that caused me grief were Canons ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was a Canon! The other wonky one that is still usable is a Sony. And my new camera is a Canon. Arrgghhh!!!!

      Delete
  13. Hi Phong Hong, wish I have extra $$$ to buy a new camera. Ya somehow I have lost my baking mojo too in trying new recipes. ... but need to bake some biscottis as giveaway. Ok ok my girl requested for brownies and these Turtle Brownies looked yummy !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! Do try these Turtle Brownies. They are really, really good.

      Delete
  14. Hi Phong Hong
    the pecan caramel toppings nampak mewah...
    pasti sedap sebab I pernah buat some caramel nuts for one of my cakes...
    Nasib baik you ada stand by new camera..tak apalah jangan moody2 ya..
    me too semenjak 2 menjak ni pun baking mood kelaut..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ayu! Pecan tu memang sedap tapi pecan mahal giler. Harap2 this weekend ada mood nak baking lagi :)

      Delete
  15. If I eat the pecans, I think it will sure stick into my teeth :P

    But I am very tempted by the chocolate topping

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are pure sins, Phong Hong.

    Are these fudgy brownies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were meant to be fudgy but sadly, I overbaked them :(

      Delete
  17. i guess this is called turtle brownies because of the uneven surface resembled turtle shell? Just guessing, hah ^__^

    ReplyDelete
  18. Brownie topped with caramel coated pecans and then drizzled with melted chocolate...YESSSS please. I want to try these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You MUST try these! They will blow you away :)

      Delete