Monday 6 December 2021

Orchids vs Roses

My auntie sent me a bunch of photos of her lovely lovely blooms. So I shall post them here for your viewing pleasure.


I'll have to say that I am a major fan of roses. They are so gorgeous! But I tried once and never again. They are not easy to maintain. Not over here anyway.


My garden which was so nice and neat during the lockdown in 2020 is now back to it's former secondary jungle glory.


In cool climates, flowers bloom so beautifully.


Of late, my auntie has become an orchid enthusiast. Orchids were my late grandmother's favorite flowers. She had a few varieties in the garden back when I was a child.


I admit that orchids aren't quite my thing but I do appreciate that their beauty.


I take it that they are also not that easy to grow. Correct me if I am wrong.


Now back to roses.


Aren't these lovely?


It seems like they grow so effortlessly in NZ.


Plus the fact that my auntie is blessed with green fingers just like my late grandma was.


My dad has green fingers too and he can plant roses in Kuala Terengganu. He gave me a pot once but sadly the rose plant kaputed.


Oooo...aren't these yellows one gorgeous?


Purple can be pretty too.


How I wish I had pretty flowers in my garden.


Heck even my Japanese roses died and they are supposed to be practically maintenance free.


All my mint, laksa leaves and basil also perished.


Not only did I lose my baking mojo, I also lost my gardening mojo. At least my blogging mojo seems to be coming back.


The only mojo that never goes away is my eating mojo.


wahahahahahaha!!!

16 comments:

  1. Good morning 🌞, thank you for the beautiful flowers to brighten up the day! You are my sifu for chap fan. I also go buy many dishes to copy you but I cannot eat so much chili la. 😂Have a good week ahead! May you get back all your mojo for gardening. Cooking can be put on hold until after cny! Enjoy Xmas and cny! 🎉⛄🎄☃️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good afternoon! I am sticking to very simple cooking only. Still no mood hah..hah...

      Delete
  2. Beautiful!!! My late mum was into orchids too. Her roses did not thrive too well. She wanted to give hers to me, my late aunt (her eldest sister) too but no, I said I would not know how to take care of them. Perhaps I should have given it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows you might have succeeded in taking care of the blooms!

      Delete
  3. i m more interested on food than roses & orchids! hahahaha! The last pictures got me drooling~~~
    The flowers are nice too. Your aunt must have put alot of effort in her garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! My aunties loves gardening so it comes naturally.

      Delete
  4. I am a fan of beautiful orchids and roses. I tried to grow both but failed miserably. So far so good with my gardening and cooking but they are going like yo yo...sometimes up, sometimes down. Yes, no problem with makan, it is always interesting. Never get tired of eating. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah.. eating is the best activity :D My mood for gardening also gone down. Maybe I just need some time off.

      Delete
  5. I love flowers, orchids mostly. Many interesting, unique and beautiful orchids in the world.

    Chap fan, anytime for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chap fan is now what I have on working days. So convenient. Eat and leave, no need to wash plate hah..hah...

      Delete
  6. I love to see all those beautiful flowers, they are so delightful to be enjoyed!
    The Japanese roses, one of the easiest plants to take care, they once died on my hands too but now I have a few pots of fully blooming Japanese roses in my balcony garden!
    Jia you and try to plant again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try again once my mood comes back. I really envy other people's garden with many flowers.

      Delete
  7. Your auntie's roses and orchids are flourishing! ;) For me, I personally prefer roses (orchids have this weird thing that looks like an anatomy...haha) but not homegrown ones coz they tend to open too big and the petals are scarce. I like them closed tightly in a bud...and presented to me in a bouquet....hee...hee.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah! That anatomy thing hah..hah... I think there was a reference to it in a movie - Being John Malkovich or was it The Orchid Thief.

      Delete
  8. When my dad was alive, he had over 100 orchid plants at home! I had to help him water all his orchids and various flowering plants in the whole big garden. He was always showing off to his visitors. I have phobia today and try not to plant too much. I also love roses very much as they smell good. Their colours bring happiness to me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! How I wish I could have seen your dad's garden! I really have to make an effort to clean up mine and start getting more serious about looking after my plants.

      Delete