Thursday 18 March 2021

Restoran Ipoh Kuey Teow Taugeh & Ayam, Damansara Uptown

Another "Ipoh" restaurant opened just before MCO 2.0. Not to be confused with Restoran Ipoh Famous Ayam Tauge & Koitiau (no wonder Dewan Bahasa & Pustaka had to come up with a standard spelling for my favorite noodle), this one is situated opposite Uptown 3 (which is beside UOB Bank).


When it first opened its doors for business, wah! So many people showed up and every time I passed by the place, it seemed to be doing roaring business.

Now that the novelty has worn off, it is now quite peaceful.


Just like that other restaurant I mentioned, the menu is just one laminated page that makes ordering easy. Ordering is also via order chits.


I was there for the chicken rice and (even before I ate) I had already planned to return for the Ipoh Shredded Chicken Prawn Kuey Teow Soup. I love planning ahead heh..heh...


As usual, two types of chicken are available - regular and farm chicken (kampung chicken). 


And then there are the carbohydrates, beansprouts and side orders (snacks).

I selected the Fragrant Oil Farm Chicken (Thigh), Oily Rice (small) and Ipoh Buntong Bean Sprouts (small). My beverage of choice, no, not coffee but Sour Plum Juice.


I waited eagerly for my meal and I wondered if I would be wowed or otherwise.


Ah! Now to tuck in and see if this chicken rice is any good. The oily rice was good as it was fragrant and perfectly cooked.


The chicken was succulent and from the texture it was indeed kampung chicken. But the sauce and seasoning were simply flat. I tasted the sauce a few times and yes, quite bland. Not aromatic and flavorful as one would expect.


The beansprouts were plump and crunchy and again, like the chicken, the sauce was bland. 


The chili dip came straight from the fridge, cold. I had to ask for assistance to open the container as it was quite tight. LOL! This dip is OK, not bad.

The ginger (served in a sauce plate) was coarsely blended ginger unlike the ginger that I have had at other chicken rice places.  I mixed it with the dip and it was quite nice.

As for the soup, it had an unpleasant taste, like chicken that had gone bad. After two sips, I abandoned it.

Now, where is my drink?


It wasn't keyed into the billing and it is either they missed or the sour plum juice was not available (of which the server should have informed me). But no matter, I just let it be and saved RM3.50.


After this experience, I am not encouraged to return. I don't know, maybe that day the food was not what it should be. Inconsistency in quality could be the reason, just guessing.


But I am glad I gave it a try. Never try, never know.


This is Belle Belle sleeping peacefully in her cage. So far so good, fingers crossed, all will be well.

18 comments:

  1. Not nice? No wonder nobody!!! Here also, even the good one we liked before, not nice anymore, COVID-19. My missus' is the best...but she is driven by mood. Must hope and pray very very hard...baru ada dapat makan. LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..so funny! My mum's chicken rice is also pretty good but I can count with 5 fingers how many times she cooked that for us over the years. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Ah, like the previous post, this one also no need to try since you say it is not nice. Good to see Belle Belle again. Got drinking water for her inside the cage, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a water bowl outside her cage and she drinks when I let her out to makan.

      Delete
  3. all these chicken rice shops have almost similar names to some other Ipoh Famous Chicken & Taugeh...whatever...
    Can't differentiate which is which already...LOL! i think they are better chicken rice out there....Thanks for review. This one i can skip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, the names can be confusing hah..hah...

      Delete
  4. Though Ipoh is famous for their steamed chicken etc etc in town, I don't go there to eat, too commercialized already... I settle for those which do not have tourists.. hahaha....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very true, once commercialized the standard tends to drop.

      Delete
  5. When you say the sauce is bland, is that because the soy sauce used was not salty enough for you. I actually prefer a lighter sauce as some I've come across is just too salty. I want to taste the meat in the chicken...hah..hah...and this darkly coloured meat looks like it could be very tasty. Doing a roaring business to almost empty doesn't bode well for them. So, I take it you won't be returning for the kai see hor fun then? ;)

    I'm glad to see Belle sleeping comfortably in her cage...it's just a matter of getting used to (and it will get better over time). I also prefer her to be locked up, safe and sound, then to be roaming dangerously on the streets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The soy sauce was salty enough but not fragrant. It was just salty and flat which was a pity because the chicken by itself was good. I might return for the kai see hor fun but not so soon hee..hee...

      She seems to have accepted living in the cage. When it is time to go inside, she does so willingly. I will be keeping her indoors in the evenings. For now she stays indoors during the day too until her ear recovers. I don't want to lose her again.

      Delete
  6. Steamed kampung chicken is the best!!!! Now make me want to eat chicken rice and stir fried taugeh. Wahaha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... I am sure you have a good one over at your place. Enjoy!

      Delete
  7. Must go eat chicken rice again one of these days. Recently have been eating a lot of curry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! I was actually craving for banana leaf rice and curry last Saturday. LOL!

      Delete
  8. Not all kampung chicken are nice, must find the right ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see... I don't get to eat kampung chicken often and so far the ones I have had were good.

      Delete
  9. The skin of the Kampung Chicken looked so nicely yellowish~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chicken was good. If only the sauce was better.

      Delete