Wednesday 20 June 2018

Cheesecake Plain and Simple


Yup. I baked another cheesecake because I was still excited about baking small batch cheesecakes. This time, I made it simple. Fuss free. 

I did not use Digestive biscuits but instead used one of those biscuits on sale at the supermarket. I think you can use any nice tasting biscuits for the base. 

Like before, I baked this cheesecake in a loaf pan and got them sliced into four (big slices heh..heh...).


The cheesecake is very creamy as I used two eggs and one egg yolk. But I did not like the biscuit base. So I guess Digestive biscuits is the better bet unless if you know of other biscuits that taste just as good.


Next time, instead of slicing the cake into wedges, I'll cut them into bars to make cheesecake bars. 

Simple Cheesecake
Recipe source : Phong Hong

For the base :
- 140g wheat biscuits, finely crushed (or any kind of biscuit that you like)
- 50g butter, melted

For the filling :
- 400g cream cheese, at room temperature
- 100g caster sugar
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 2 whole eggs plus one egg yolk
- 1 tbsp custard powder (or plain flour)

Method :
1. Line a loaf pan (18cm x 9 cm x 11 cm) with baking paper and set aside.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix the crushed biscuits with melted butter until it resembles wet sand.
3. Pour the biscuit and butter mixture into the lined pan and press firmly into the bottom of the pan. Bake at 160C for 10 minutes (you may choose not to bake the biscuit base). Set aside.
4. In another mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese and sugar until creamy.
5.  Add eggs, egg yolk  and vanilla extract. Beat until evenly mixed.
6. Add custard powder and beat to mix.
7. Pour batter into the pan and bake at 140C for 35 minutes or until the cheesecake is almost set and still a bit jiggly.
8. Remove from oven and cool completely.
9. Store in the fridge for  few hours or overnight to firm up before removing from the pan.


20 comments:

  1. Ah Hong Chee, I am a faithful reader of your blog, the next time you make cheesecake bar, will I be reward with a small bar of the cheesecake? Haha...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My girl makes this using the gluten-free Digestives for the base, very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great that there is a gluten-free alternative.

      Delete
  3. I am back! I am back! Did anyone miss me???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome back! Got eat lots of dim sum in Hong Kong kah? LOL!

      Delete
  4. Lovely bake. I would like a slice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The colour of your cheesecake is so delicious with the juicy strawberries there.

    Many decades ago, when cheesecakes were first invented & improvised, they only used crushed Marie biscuits in United States. I don't know how true but they were the earliest base used in our country too when I was a toddler. The history says that cheesecakes were energy source for the athletics during the first Olympic Games in Greece! Bring them on and make them into bite size bars for me to sell. Unsold bars will go into my tummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the history of cheesecake! Oh, energy source eh? Like that Ah Hong Chee should eat cheesecake before lifting weights. LOL!

      Delete
  6. So yummy - can see but cannot touch. Guess I need to go SR to eat cheese cake since your photos make me "lou hou sui" (cantonese).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee... Hope you enjoy your SR cheesecake :)

      Delete
  7. can reserve one for me ar? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can smell the cheesecakes from here and they look tempting, again can i come?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your cheesecake has a really nice golden yellowish colour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's due to the egg yolks and custard powder :)

      Delete
  10. I love cheesecake! Drooling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee.. It's one of my favorite cakes!

      Delete