Thursday 8 February 2018

KOM's By Kompassion@A Foodie's Nest (CLOSED)


The food court, A Foodie's Nest@The Starling, opened sometime towards the end of last year. At the time, it was very quiet and not many stalls were occupied.

One day, I decided to check the place out and spotted a stall called KOM's by Kompassion. I have been wanting to visit Kompassion (the one at Damansara Kim) but alas it is so near and yet so far.


Parking is a problem and at one time we were turned away (me and my partner) just because the tables were set for bigger groups (even though we were early and there were hardly any customers at the time). My partner was very put off by that incident and vowed never to return.


So I thought this might be the closest that I get to Kompassion (for now). As to be expected, the menu is short and sweet. At the counter you will see mock ups of two dishes - the Rib & Rib and The Stew, both I tried, on different days of course.


The Rib & Rib features two cuts of ribs. At RM20.00 I thought this was a good deal because the ribs were very meaty. The rice is cooked in santan and you also get half a soft-centered egg with some salad and condiments.


You also get a bowl of green curry gravy.


I feel that this gravy (though very tasty) is not suitable as it clashes with the dish. A clear tom yum soup would be more appropriate. At least you can drink it on its own but not this one.


The long rib is meaty and fatty with a nice lightly crisped skin. Quite tasty this one but if you are a small eater, it is best to share as madam big-tangki found this too much even for her.


After you place your order and pay, you are given this UFO-thingy which is some sort of pager. It will buzz when your food is ready.


On another day, I had The Stew (RM15.00) which is rice and braised pork belly. The set-up is similar to the first meal I had. Taste wise it was just all right, nothing to get excited about.


You will notice that I did not have any drinks because I find it a hassle to go to the beverage outlet to get some. If you come with a friend, one of you can take care of the food while the other fetches the drinks.


Annie-1 also has a stall up here but I would prefer to go the the flagship Annie-1 shop for my Annie-1 fix.

I guess that's it for me at KOM's and it is about time that I get my ass into Kompassion for a proper meal.

26 comments:

  1. Looks like a fun place to try, but hope you get a chance to dine at Kompassion very soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I'll have to make an effort to get there as I hear people raving about the food.

      Delete
  2. Gosh! Not cheap, eh? I guess those prices are to be expected when eating at places in a mall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not cheap, that's for sure. Can't eat here everyday.

      Delete
  3. PH, u set up a stall, your's will be so much better than the foods u order....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will also ban them if they turn me away when there are still seats available. Guess you will have to go with your brother since they angered your partner who will not visit them again. Since I am not a fan of pork, I think I will give this stall a miss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My brother and I will find our way there hopefully soon.

      Delete
  5. Hello Phong Hong!
    Thanks for bloggin about KOM's!
    I am so sorry about your bad experience in Kompassion. I am sure there is a misunderstanding, as our waiters never turn away customers. If its fully booked they are trained to tell walk in customers wrt to duration of dining time if, say, the table is booked an hour later etc.
    From your description, look like they have quite a booking that night and mostly were big groups or some parties, but perhaps their communication to you was a bit poor. I might be wrong but I would like to investigate further if you do not mind, so we can improve further in this aspect:). You can drop me an email at saasit@gmail.com
    We are glad you liked KOM's! :)
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi saasit! Don't worry, that incident happened a long time ago (2015-2016??). I will find my way to Kompassion one day as I really want to try the food which I hear is fantastic. Thanks for dropping by :)

      Delete
    2. Saasit should invite PH go makan there and give review lah!
      Win win

      Delete
  6. Oh dear, the stall looks so bare and the menu is so limited....this one serves pork? As I know, the rest do not. Yeah, try the real Kompassion for comparison (there's one in TTDI) before coming to a conclusion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still quiet up there and it depends if people like the food/variety enough to come back. There is a BKT stall too which I have yet to try. Yes, I will visit Kompassion one day. I remember your review on the TTDI outlet.

      Delete
  7. hahaha.. I will definitely need to share cos I wanna try other stuff as well! Eyes wide but stomach small.. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! At the moment not many choices there, perhaps in time there will be more.

      Delete
  8. Oh interesting. I've enjoyed both of their restaurants. Didn't think I'd see them in a mall.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to go to the Damansara Kim outlet one day.

      Delete
  9. Ooo based on the look of the dish alone, I can tell it’s kompassion cos they do plate their rice platters this way. I like the plating, cos it shows off all the different ingredients used :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the plating too, it shows off every element of the meal.

      Delete
  10. I want that rib from your description, meaty and fatty with a nice lightly crisped skin, haha.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've dined in at Kompassion and the food is really not bad~ Since Annie 1 is just at the same area, I'll choose to visit their original shop too :P

    ReplyDelete