This is the second cookie that I baked during Chinese New Year. I bought a packet of Nestum cereal way earlier with the good intention of baking cookies as giveaways before the new year.
I also had a few packets of chocolate chips and a box of Hershey's cocoa powder in the fridge. I kept the cocoa powder in the fridge because an earlier batch went musty even before the expiry date.
Since I was all fired up, after I finished baking the Cornflakes Cranberry Cookies, I started this batch of Nestum Chocolate Chip Cookies.
I know these cookies don't look very attractive but they are very addictive. The aroma of baked cereal with chocolate and butter is most pleasing and tastes incredibly good.
I found these cookies to be very addictive and moreish. But I had to refrain from eating too many or else I would not have enough to fill up the cookies canisters.
I find it very difficult to make small cookies. As I spooned the dough onto the baking tray, they kept getting bigger and bigger as I went along. Tsk! I suppose CNY cookies should be dainty and bite sized so that you can pop the whole thing into your mouth and not make a mess (or choke).
Since these cookies were so nice, I baked up another batch a few days later. I filled up two (smaller) canisters for giveaway and whatever that could not fit into the containers were mine. Mine! heh...heh...heh...
Nestum Chocolate Chip Cookies
Recipe source : Phong Hong
- 250g self-raising flour
- 30g cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)
- 250g butter, softened
- 150g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 200g semi-sweet chocolate chips (also Hershey's)
- 2 cups Nestum cereal
1. Sift flour and cocoa powder into a mixing bowl. Whisk to evenly mix the flour and cocoa powder. Set aside.
2. Using an electric hand mixer, cream butter and sugar until light and creamy.
3. Add egg and vanilla extract and continue to cream until well mixed.
4. Add flour and using a spatula, fold to form a dough.
5. Add chocolate chips and fold to mix.
6. Using two teaspoons, drop spoonfuls of dough into the Nestum and using your hand, coat the dough with the cereal and form the dough into a ball.
7. Line the dough balls on a lined baking tray and bake at 160C for 15-20 minutes.
8. Transfer cookies onto a cooling rack to cool completely before storing in air tight containers.