Monday 20 February 2017

Mr Tuk Tuk@The Starling


You know I love Thai food, right? So when I saw Mr Tuk Tuk@The Starling, I was quite excited.

I did not pay a visit until one of their staff distributed some flyers advertising the opening specials.


Since I was alone, I chose the set meal. If I remember correctly, there are three sets and I chose the one I felt most attractive.

The sets come with a drink of the day.


This is an ice blended green tea drink. It has milk in it, I think. Quite pleasant but I would not choose this if I had a choice. I would prefer plain green tea.


This set looks pretty good doesn't it? It has Pandan Chicken, Thai Mango Salad, Crispy Fish Fillet with Thai Sauce and Rice.


I tasted the rice first and I could not put a finger on what sort of rice this is. It's some sort of fried rice but the flavor was quite unfamiliar.

I detected some pineapple chunks, so I reckon it is pineapple fried rice. It is topped with some sort of dried squid.


The crispy fish fillet was quite nice. The mango kerabu was decent and also topped with dried squid that gave it extra flavor.


The pandan chicken was rather good, moist with good flavors.


As I dug into the rice, I noted that the kitchen did not remove the vein from the prawns.


Some customers might freak out if they see this.


All in all, I find the food decent at best, not outstanding. But I need to sample more to draw a proper conclusion.

28 comments:

  1. You know what PH, i tak ter'attract' pun those nasi and ayam all that, but kalo i jumpa..what to say, mangkuk or pinggan eh? I sure will buy it, hehe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiseh ticer, PH pun like that plate lah. Kalo ada terjumpa, pun akan beli :)

      Delete
  2. I went there too. Being a kid growing up in Thailand, I could tell whether the Thai food is genuine and good. This one gets 6/10. If you go to Black Canyon at Centrepoint, I would give 9/10.
    I like the kerabu mango at Tuk Tuk. Their Tom Yam chicken is okay except the chicken meat smelled a bit like uncleaned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah...you are THE person to refer to when it comes to authentic Thai food! I will have to agree with your rating. They will have to do better when they say they serve authentic Thai street food. I have not been to Black Canyon.

      Delete
  3. Haha my daughter would be one of those customers who wouldnt be too pleased to see prawns which have not been deveined. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think many will be upset but I was ok with it hah..hah...

      Delete
  4. sedap ke PH? syok tengok orang pi makan

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Thai too! Sure wouldn't mind checking this place out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the best based on what I tasted but decent enough if you don't have any other choice.

      Delete
  6. oh such a big prawn... and forgot to remove the veins... eh..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Think if me, I will go back again to check out the other set meal... hehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no harm checking out other items. Might be better than what I had in the set.

      Delete
  8. I always get stuck ordering my favourites. I usually go for green curry and mango sticky rice. Hard to charge those loves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, I too tend to stick to what I love. That would be mango kerabu, mango kerabu, mango kerabu hah..hah...

      Delete
  9. Locals are more tolerable towards prawns that have not been deveined, I think. Westerners (in food shows I've seen) will send it back to the kitchen if they find prawns with its shit trail still intact. If they're small (especially those used for fried rice), I'll excuse it but if they're of a decent size, then they should be properly deveined. If get only a 6/10 from an authority on Thai food (ie. TM), I think can skip, right? Haha! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In all honesty, you won't miss much if you skip this hee..hee...

      Delete
  10. cute name, mr tuk tuk! maybe the founders can come up with a second restaurant concept someday and call it mrs ... well, something related to thai culture too! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How cute, a Mrs Tuk Tuk! Well, I feel that the taste could be improved if they claim to be authentic.

      Delete
  11. How much was the set lunch? Looks quite nice though I would just eat half the rice but all the fish and pandan chicken. I understand that you don't like green tea so did you manage to finish the drink of the day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was RM18.80 net as advertised. I did enjoy it though it was not outstanding. Actually I like green tea but not desserts containing green tea. So iced green tea is good for me but not with milk. So I did not finish my drink.

      Delete
  12. I've visited this place and found that the food is quite reasonably priced but the drinks are a bit on higher side. Do you think so?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I agree with you that the drinks are expensive. Luckily my drink came with the set or else I would be a few more ringgit poorer >.<

      Delete
  13. I like Thai food but this time I am more attracted to the unique serving plate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I pun suka Thai food hokey..... Aduh semua food pun I sukalah senang cerita PH, tolak batu dengan kayu aje haha....Lama tak makan ayam pandan. Kalau ikutkan tak susah mana buat ayam pandan tu kan PH... Tapi tulah masalahnya penyakit M selalu menyerang.

    Ohhh yelah, separuh orang particular bab makan ni. Urat udang pun boleh buat patah selera

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tak susah? Aiyo, Hainom, nak balut isi ayam tu dengan pandan, PH tak larat lah hah..hah...

      Delete