Monday 23 May 2016

Boa Vista Cheesecake


This almost ended up as a Mystery Cheesecake hah..hah... But there is still a mystery as to when did I bake this? I honestly do not remember but I do remember enjoying sucking out the pulp of the remaining passionfruits because it was awesome.

When I saw this cheesecake in the book Favorite Cupcake and Cheesecakes, I thought it was rather pretty. The base is made using instant polenta, vanilla wafers and butter.

I am not familiar with polenta and I was not going to specially buy it for this cake. So I used err...err...what did I use? Tsk! Chances are I used digestive biscuits and butter.


Besides cream cheese, milk and eggs, the recipe called for glucose and chopped macadamia nuts for the filling. I love macadamia nuts but they are very costly. So I would rather eat macadamia nuts as they are instead of putting them into cakes.

For the topping, it was supposed to be pineapples, papaya and passionfruit pulp. I substituted the pineapples for mangoes.


Since I did not follow the recipe, but rather borrowed the idea, I shall share my own recipe for this cake. I can't say for sure what went into the filling, but I think I may have used my favorite recipe.













Boa Vista Cheesecake
Recipe source : Adapted from Favorite Cupcakes and Cheesecake (page 130)

For the base :
- 200g digestive biscuits
- 50g melted butter

For the filling :
- 500g cream cheese
- 200g castor sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tbsp vanilla essence

For topping :
- papaya, cubed
- mangoes, cubed
- passionfruit pulp

Method :

For the base :
1. Preheat oven to 140C.
2. Butter an 8" round springform pan.
3. Crush digestive biscuits finely.
4. Pour the crushed biscuits into a bowl and add melted butter. Mix well until mixture looks like wet sand.
5. Pour mixture into the pan and press firmly to compact the base.
6. Bake for 10 minutes and set aside.

For the filling :
1. Beat cream cheese until smooth.
2. Add castor sugar and mix well.
3. Add eggs one by one and mix well.
4. Add vanilla essence and flour and mix well.
5. Lastly add whipping cream and mix well.
6. Pour mixture into springform pan.
7. Bake for about 50 mins at 140C.
8. The cake is done when the outer ring is firm but the middle is still wobbly.  After taking it out of the oven, run a spatula around the edge of the cake for easy removal later.  Cool the cake completely before chilling in the fridge overnight.
9. Before serving, top with passionfruit pulp, papaya and mangoes.

36 comments:

  1. Baked, eh? I wouldn't mind that so much, I guess. Not fond of those gelatin ones that you put in the fridge to set, so jelak after a little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too don't like those no-bake ones. They taste very strange to me. Tried once and never again.

      Delete
  2. Cheese cake is one of my favourite cake, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omg, how can you forget such a thing of beauty! I may not like cheesecakes all that much but I know I'd enjoy the fruity toppings. And I think it was a good choice to replace pineapples with mango (for some sweetness) in case the pineapples turn out not as sweet as you already have the tart passion fruit. I just had a bottle of passion fruit juice (bought from pasar malam) and loved sucking up the pulp too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I figured that pineapples might be too tart and also because it is not soft like papaya and mango. After making this cheesecake I fell in love with passionfruit hee..hee..

      Delete
  4. I love all types of cheesecakes but this one with generous fruits is a bonus! It will escalate the taste of the cheese with fruity juices. Yums! Slurp! How come can eat the seeds of the passion fruit pulp?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Phong Hong, another lovely cheesecake from your kitchen. Like the idea of this fruity cheesecake. Nice colour too. Can imagine the sourish sweet and savoury taste of this cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kimmy! What I enjoyed was the passionfruit. Never thought that it could taste so nice.

      Delete
  6. I am like STP. I only like baked cheese cakes and not non bakes cheese cakes. This one I will like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I tried a non-baked one once and I hated it :(

      Delete
  7. Lovely colours for your toppings! I noticed you didn't bake this cheesecake in water bath. Did it crack? Well done Phong Hong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Err...did I or did I not bake it in waterbath? LOL! Well, I used to bake cheesecake without waterbath and it does have some fine cracks. But once the cake is cool, the crack is not noticeable.

      Delete
  8. Hi Phong Hong,
    Colorful fruity toppings with added passionfruit pulp to this cheesecake must be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! Yes, it was delicious. Healthy too, yah? LOL!

      Delete
  9. Cheesecake with fruit topping look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! It's quite colorful.

      Delete
  10. Looking yummy, I need one piece now la! :p

    ReplyDelete
  11. So one may say it was a creative change!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and your cheesecakes! It makes me feel like I don't make NEARLY enough cheesecakes! This looks SO good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not been baking much, so we are even!

      Delete
  13. Boa Vista is part of Cape Verde, a cluster of Portuguese islands off Africa. So I guess those exotic fruits are appropriate. But polenta? Polenta?? Polenta is Italian! Good job ditching it, you're doing well with digestive biscuits regardless.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya hor, why polenta? They were trying to be creative I guess.

      Delete
  14. Hi Phong Hong,

    I think you have adapted this recipe very well with lots of tropical flavours. Should call it the PH's special cheesecake instead :)

    Zoe

    PS I'm happy to hear that you like watching my mediacorp video. My episode is pretty entertaining as compared to the rest because the celebrity was going to walk out at one stage and we were told NOT to help her :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! The poor girl used the word "helpless" more than once and I thought she was going to cry. Anyway, that episode kind of motivate me to want to make pie hah...hah...

      Delete
  15. Remindes me long time ago when I tried a non-bake cheesecake for the first time. Not so successful. Since then I have never try making it again. Lol.

    Yours look good and pretty with fruits on top. Maybe when I am in the mood I will try your recipe out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer the baked ones, taste much better.

      Delete
  16. Oh my goodness... How I wish I could have a tiny piece if not two pieces! hahaha... really salivating la, PH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead and take a piece hah..hah....

      Delete
  17. I don't mind also ... I want a bite now !!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead and bite hah...hah...hah...

      Delete