Monday 25 May 2015

Lunch at Iku Yama Uptown


I was in a moodless mood last Sunday. No mood to bake, no mood to cook , no mood to blog and no mood to anything. To top it off I was having some problems with my internet connection due to some malfunction in my homeplug. After quite a struggle with the cables and relocating the device, I managed to get my connection. It was very upsetting. Hmmph!

Anyway, last Saturday I took my brother for lunch at Iku Yama Uptown. He had not been there before and I wanted him to taste the fusion sushi. We got there early and were promptly seated. The server handed us the specials menu and only one main menu. It's really difficult to share a menu unless you are one of those lovey dovey couples who sit closely side by side and can comfortably share a menu. So I got off my butt to request for another one.


I simply had to order the Salmon Belly Osaka Sushi which is my favorite item on the menu. This time the sauce is different, green instead of brown. I don't know what it is made of but it tastes good. My brother referred to the sauce as "chap" hah...hah...


My brother was very keen on the Crispy Salmon Skin Hand Roll, after having tasted a similar item at Hokano. Sadly, the handrolls were a let down. The seaweed was already soft and chewy when it got to our table. And the crispy salmon skin? Not crispy at all but hard like plastic! "Fail" my brother remarked. 


I am not a fan of tempura but my brother likes it. So we ordered the Tempura Moriwase. This one was good. The batter was very  light and crispy. It was simply different quite unlike other tempuras I have eaten before and I like it a lot.


We also ordered the Chuka Idako. It was alright. This is one of my favorite appetizers. 

We also ordered a Spicy Man Roll, which unfortunately I forgot to photograph. I liked that one and it was hot! Very spicy indeed. Definitely something I would want to eat again on my next visit.


For drinks, both of us ordered the Chocolate Hazelnut Frappe which was awesome. Loved this drink and I want to have it again.


On our way out, I spotted the chef and engaged him in friendly banter. I made a comment on the Crispy Salmon Skin Handroll while giving compliments on all the other items we had. If I were the chef/owner, I really want to hear from my customers be it good or not so good feedback. The good man reassured us that the next time we come, it will be different. I do hope so but what I know is that we will definitely come back!


32 comments:

  1. Same here, if i were the chef, i would loves to have feedback from customers so that i can improve on it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, but some are sensitive and don't like negative comments.

      Delete
  2. I always like to have a look into your plate:) sometimes it's good to have someone to cook and clean up for us and that's why restuarant still have clients:)
    I like the frappe, actually I should write I would like the frappe:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frappe was so good and I'm still thinking of it :)

      Delete
  3. Wahhhhh!!!! Going Japanese. Haven't had it for a while now. School holidays coming right up - will surely go for it when my girl is home. I would always have green tea to go with the food when I go Japanese though. The frappe seems like such a mismatch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Come to think of it, ya it is rather strange to be drinking frappe when eating Japanese food. But it was good. Will do it again hah..hah...

      Delete
  4. I like your soft shelled crab rolls and the tempura the most.. Eh thought having green tea, but who cares, janji you sukak.. The frappe looks very icy, but I think I can finish all, no problem..Oooo I want to lick lick lick all the cream on top..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louiz, I enjoyed the frappe so much! The other item we had, the Spicy Man Roll was so pedas and sedap but I forgot to take photo so can't show here.

      Delete
  5. What a coincidence.

    We went to a Japanese restaurant on Sunday too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure you guys enjoyed your Japanese meal to the max!

      Delete
  6. Japanese food for me anytime. The price seems reasonable. I would like to taste the tempura since you say it is different but I don't think I will go to Uptown anytime soon so can't try. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they have other branches in KL that you can go to.

      Delete
  7. Oh no.... I need a fix tomorrow!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. aiyoh!!! how could it be?? the cooking and baking queen is having a "moodless mood" (okay, this kept me pondering, moodless mood is like lemonless lemon tea, haha!!).. I think must be the Internet connection lah, you know nowadays we are all so dependent and used to connecting to the world through the Internet, we would feel so deprived without it huh?? but I guess it's okay to take a break and do something you like more.. like eating out with your brother!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya lah. No mood at all. And without internet lagi no mood hah..hah...

      Delete
  9. you are such a nice sister leh, whatever you tried nice and the second visit you must be bringing your brother there, I bet he does the same huh?? but I am a little surprised, both of you ate so little this time?? or was this just a tea break in between of your feast-full lunch and dinner?? seriously, I thought you would be ordering more by thinking about your "track record".. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me and my brother are trying to eat less hee..hee... But we were quite full because as you know, sushi is quite filling. The rice kind of expands in the tummy. There was one more item that was not in the photo and that's why looks like we ate so little.

      Delete
  10. I am not a fans of sushi actually but I like the tempura as well as the chuka idako.. I prefer the veggie tempura instead of the prawn tempura which most of the people are crazy for.. and like you, chuka idako is one of my favorite, will not get bored with it.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really like tempura even though I like deep fried stuff. But this one was to my liking. And like you, I prefer the veggie tempura.

      Delete
  11. yes it is good to pay compliment to where it's due. Just like SK in BKK. Special fried the rice for him wor. Hmm...next time you go there sure the Chef will be very happy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, must give praise where it is due. Make the chef happy for the effort he put in. Just like us at home, mah. If we cook something nice and our family tell us it is good, then we also happy.

      Delete
  12. I'm surprised that those were enough for you and your brother...that looks like a serving for one...kekeke! :D A big-eater can easily whack 10 plates of sushi on his or her own ;) We just had sushi yesterday and the two of us polished off 14 plates of sushi and a salmon! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... I did not quite realize that this is below our normal standards. But I felt quite full and me and my bother are actually trying to exercise portion control. Hope we can keep this up hah..hah...

      Delete
  13. I am a fussy customer too when comes to Japanese food esp these hand rolls. I could imagine the soft seaweed wraps which would make scream. It must be crispy dry like how Sakae Sushi does.
    At least the chocolate drinks made you guys happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the chocolate drink was really good and I want some more! The hand roll was not well executed. I suspect that the salmon skin was leftovers prepared in advance. That's why it was so hard.

      Delete
  14. One thing bugging me....

    The amount of food both of you ordered this time.... both going on a diet ah?? Not like the usual portions leh! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess we under performed! hah..hah... But yeah, we are on a diet. Don't know how long that will last :D

      Delete
  15. Hi Phong Hong,

    Sorry to hear that you are in the no-mood mode. I'm having a little winter blue lately... Can totally understand this feeling. Good that this delicious meal, the yummy chocolate drink plus its good customer service can cheer you up... Nice to know that the chef is positive and can improve for your next visit.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe! I am still in a blah mood. Hope that will change soon. There will surely be a next visit to the restaurant, perhaps for a cheering up session :)

      Delete
  16. Oh dear Phong Hong,
    No mood :( Hope you're much better after your makan at this Japanese restaurant. I know in some restaurants, the chef would like to "mingle" and chat with customers to find out the food, to gather feedback etc. This chef is so positive ya.
    Ok ! there's a long weekend due to Vesak Day holiday ! Yeah ! Hope you'll have a great holiday :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! Our Wesak day in Malaysia is over :( Now looking forwards to the Hari Raya holidays which happens in July hee..hee..

      Delete