I have always loved liver and I know lots of people who will not touch it.
Whenever I go to the nasi campur stall, one of the dishes I look out for is hati (liver).
And at the chicken rice stall, I also ask for liver if it is available.
When I was small, my late grandfather was an advocate of liver because he said it is nutritious. He once recommended liver stir fried with chives to my grandaunt when she was in poor health.
The only way I have ever cooked chicken liver is by stir frying it with garlic, chives and oyster sauce. I don't cook it often because though liver may be nutritious, it is an organ that performs excretory functions and therefore may contain undesirable elements.
But once in a while, I do indulge. This chicken liver dish is delicious. It is not difficult to cook and uses only a few ingredients.
Hati Ayam Goreng Cili
Recipe source : Adapted from Azie Kitchen
- 300g chicken liver
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp salt to taste
- 5 red chillies
- 5 shallots
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sweet soya sauce
1. Pound chilies, shallots and salt (need not be too fine). Set aside.
2. Mix liver, turmeric powder and salt.
3. Heat oil in pan and fry chicken liver until cooked. Remove and set aside.
4. In the same pan, fry the pounded ingredients until aromatic and slightly dry.
5. Return the liver to the pan and stir to mix.
6. Serve immediately.