I cooked this pasta for the first time about 3 years ago and cooked it again for a family gathering not long after. Since then, I have not cooked it again.
So why did I suddenly want some Cajun Chicken Pasta? Well, I was greedy and bought a pack of cooking cream which came in a set of three. The price of cooking and whipping cream have risen steadily in recent times. So a good offer like this cannot be refused.
I like this pasta because not only is it easy to cook, it is absolutely delicious. Lots of flavors come from the Cajun seasoning.
What you do is season some diced chicken breasts with Cajun seasoning and sear it on high heat to brown. Be generous with the Cajun spices because though it is salty, remember, you will be adding peppers, onions, pasta and cream.
Remove the chicken from the pan, add more oil and fry the peppers and onions over high heat. Drat! I forgot to add garlic. Imagine that. I love garlic and yet I forgot. Add diced tomatoes and fry some more. Remove veggies to join the chicken.
Then add some chicken stock to deglaze the pan and then add cream. Bring to a boil to thicken and then pour back the veggies and chicken into the pan.
At this point, add the pasta and you are done. I can never time my pasta to cook at the exact time when the sauce is ready. So my pasta was cooked and drained a little earlier.
Have a taste and season with lots of pepper and more Cajun seasoning if necessary. This my friends, is one awesome pasta. One of the best comfort foods to accompany you while you sit on the sofa in vegetative state in front of the TV.
Cajun Chicken Pasta
Recipe source : Adapted from The Pioneer Woman
- 1 chicken breast, cut into cubes
- Cajun seasoning
- 1/2 each of red, green and yellow pepper, sliced into strips
- 1 big onion sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 packet cooking cream (200ml)
- 200ml chicken stock (1 mixed 1/2 cube chicken stock cube with 200ml hot water)
- 1/2 packet Fettuccini, cooked according to packet instructions
- pepper to taste
- parsley to garnish
- olive oil and butter for frying
1. Season the diced chicken generously with Cajun seasonig.
2. Heat olive oil and butter in a pan and brown the chicken in two batches.
3. Once browned, remove chicken from the pan.
4. Add more oil/butter and fry onions, garlic and peppers over high heat until slightly charred and wilted.
5. Add tomatoes and fry briefly and then remove all vegetables to a plate.
6. Add chicken stock and bring to a boil. Stir to deglaze the pan.
7. Once the chicken stock is reduced to half, add cooking cream.
8. Bring to a boil and simmer until slightly reduced.
9. Pour the chicken and vegetables back into the pan and stir.
10. Add cooked pasta and stir to mix.
11. Season generously with pepper and taste. Add more Cajun spices if needed.