Monday 30 May 2016

Noisy Way to Peel Garlic


How do you peel garlic? I usually give it a smash and remove the skin or if I want the cloves whole, I use a knife to do the job.

But have you watched a video on an easy way to peel garlic? Have you tried it? And if you haven't, do you believe it?

I did not believe. I thought it was just some gimmick. Then I totally forgot all about it until I stumbled upon this blogpost while searching for something.

So for the fun of it, I decided to test it out. I took two bulbs of garlic and put them into a stainless steel bowl.


Then I placed another another bowl on top of it and shook away. I tell you, it created quite a din. I quickly moved out of the kitchen in case the sound carried and disturbed my neighbors.

After a whole lot of shaking, this was the reveal.


Oh! It works! 


But not all the garlic cloves were peeled. So I separated them.


Then I gave the unpeeled ones another violent shake. And yes, they eventually got peeled. This method does result in some degree of bruising of the garlic cloves which explains why I caught a whiff of garlic while shaking away.

So will I do this again? I don't think so because it makes too much noise. Unless of course, if I want to cook Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic.

26 comments:

  1. That easy, eh? May give it a try sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite tiring due to all that shaking.

      Delete
  2. I saw it too but never gave it a try yet since I don't use much lately. Hiihi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need to try lah. Too noisy hah..hah...

      Delete
  3. Hi Phong Hong, using this shaking method can exercise our triceps and biceps. :)) I usually crush the garlic with the pestle, quick and easy.

    Have a nice day, regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia! I prefer the usual way too.

      Delete
  4. Aiya just buy one of those garlic crusher lah... zero noise pollution ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is really amazing and easy! I have been peeling garlics since young for my mum and then my wife, so I could believe the logic for the skin to drop easily. It only could work on garlic and not small onions. Betul kah??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know about onions, maybe not because the skin is thin. Besides, onion flesh is more fragile you might end up with onion juice hah..hah...

      Delete
  6. Hahaha, so it works but not 100% and noisy. Don't think this is needed unless like you say you need many, many cloves of garlic.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have seen it and like you, tried it. But out of habit, I prefer to smash the garlic with the knife. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tired . nd shaking that my hands got tired! I guess I better stick back to the old traditional way... bang them one kali.. and stripe their clothing.. hahahaa...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too prefer the old way hee..hee...

      Delete
  9. Sorry.. my comment has some defects.. Meaning to say, I tried one time, and after a lot of shaking, my hands got tired... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You didn't say how long was a whole lot of shaking...hehe! :D At least this way, the skins stay in one place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was less than 5 minutes but felt like forever. But seriously, the noise >.<

      Delete
  11. Iim using smash and remove method too, easy and fast :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. All that shaking is too tiring and I can't stand the noise LOL!

      Delete