Friday 13 November 2015

Loaded Cookies


First it was Loaded Brownies. Then it was Loaded Nachos. And now I have progressed to Loaded Cookies. And all these lead to one thing and one thing only - a loaded tummy.

So whatever happened to the "I swear I will only eat carbohydrates once a week"? Nehhhh... You knew that wouldn't hold out, did you? (hangat-hangat tahi ayam aje)


It was Deepavali and I was at home, happy as a lark. No stress, no worries, with all the time in the world to do whatever I liked. And when I have nothing to do (actually there was plenty to do - weeding the garden, the laundry, the curtains, in other words the not-so-fun-stuff) I will think of something to bake.


And just the other day, I printed a recipe from That Skinny Chick Can Bake and it was her Loaded Oatmeal Cookies. I haven't baked cookies in a while and those loaded cookies looked awesome. Well, there is plenty of stuff that I have in the pantry for loading the cookies.


There's muesli (purchased with the noble intention of making a healthy breakfast. Yeah, right), a bar of Milk Chocolate Peanut Toffee Cookie Bar (that's quiet a mouthful), a half pack of opened chocolate chips (surprise surprise they are still there) and a bag of dried cranberries (why I bought this is beyond me).


The rest is easy. You don't even need to use an electric mixer. Just get your good old spatula and "kiau kiau kiau" (mix mix mix). Just cream the butter and sugar until fluffy (yes, your arm will get tired) and then add in the vanilla and eggs. Then dump in the flour, give another good mix and then add in the muesli, chopped chocolate bar, chocolate chips and dried cranberries. 


I used a small ice cream scoop to scoop the dough and the size is just right. These cookies are fully loaded with ingredients and they have a very stable structure, hence they do not spread. When I baked the first batch, I had to use a fork to flatten them at half time. So when preparing the next batches, I pressed the cookies using a fork to flatten them. 


These cookies were baked at 160C for 16 minutes, which appears to be my magic number as the cookies were crunchy. If you prefer chewy cookies, bake for a shorter time. I told myself that I will just taste one or two and not go berserk. Behave madam!


About the sugar. When I tasted these cookies, they were barely sweet with bursts of sweetness coming from the chocolate. I couldn't remember how much sugar I put and luckily I still hadn't washed my measuring cups. On close inspection (technique learnt from CSI), I saw traces of sugar on the 1/4 cup. I think I can go 1/2 cup next time (original recipe calls for 2 cups).


I ate only three, OK? The rest I stashed away in freezer bags and they are stored in airtight containers in the freezer like so.


Nope, I am not sharing my cookies. Not this time. They are too good to be given away. I know I am being selfish and greedy. At least I'm being honest.

This recipe makes 53 cookies (including the ones I ate) if using the small ice cream scoop (it's about 1.5 tablespoons). If you ask me, which is easier, baking a cake or cookies, I'll say hands down it's cookies. You don't have to prepare and grease a cake tin, worry about over mixing your dough, or over/under baking. It comes out good all the time. 

So if you have bits and pieces of chocolate, dried fruits or oats (purposely) leftover in your pantry, these cookies are the perfect way to use them up.









Loaded Cookies
Recipe source : Adapted from That Skinny Chick Can Bake

Ingredients :
- 250g self-raising flour
- 250g butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup white sugar (I will use 1/2 cup in future and if you have a sweet tooth you can go upwards of 1 cup or up to 2 cups as per original recipe)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 bar Cadbury's Milk Chocolate Peanut Toffee Cookie Bar (chopped into small pieces)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups muesli/oats

Method :
1. In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
2. Add vanilla extract and mix.
3. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Fold in flour and mix well.
5. Add muesli and chopped chocolate and mix well.
6. Add chocolate chips and dried cranberries and mix well.
7. Using a small ice cream scoop (or you can sue two spoons), place the dough onto a lined baking tray. Use a fork to press and flatten the dough.
8. Bake at 160C for 16 minutes (rotate the tray at half time for even baking) or until the cookies are brown (if you prefer chewy cookies, bake for about 12 minutes)

34 comments:

  1. I terus think of loaded potato skins when I see the word loaded ! And your creamy cheesy ranch dressing.. Oooo la la, your cookies look so so delicious, better than those at Famous Amos, really.. The smell is nice only, can smell from far, but the cookies, ok la, the pecan+butterscotch one is nice, others all so-so only.. I prefer Subway's giant chewy cookies, hehe.. But your one, 100 times more "hor liew" and nicer !! I can eat 20 pieces without stopping.. I heard if you use brown sugar for cookies, more fragrant wor.. But who cares, white or brown, janji sedap :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louiz! Every time I walk past Famous Amos, I take a deep breath. Love the smell but too kedekut to buy the cookies. Since you said mine is better, so I no need to buy lah hee..hee...thank you, ahhh...

      Delete
  2. Oh me! Oh my!!! What beauties!!! You have my mailing address? Dijamin sampai hari esok! LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee...I am afraid by the time they reach you, the cookies will be in bits and pieces :D

      Delete
  3. LOADED!!! hahaha, that's the magic word and I love the cookies loaded!! really ah, this word beats all others descriptions like sinful, rich, packed, delicious etc.. so, who doesn't like that?? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiya...if only the pocket and bank account is loaded also tsk..tsk..tsk...

      Delete
  4. so it's like just chucking whatever you have in the kitchen and fridge into the cookies, I like the oats, chocolates and dried fruits all mixed up because they actually make a perfect combination, at least to me.. and you are not sharing them with anyone else, I can imagine how heavenly the cookies are!! super duper yummy~~ hehe.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the fact that we can load whatever we want into the cookies. This combination is quite good and I am thinking of what else I can load hee..hee,,,

      Delete
  5. Perfect bake for this coming Christmas, Phong Hong. I must try this one day. Heheheh! But I will replace something with something I already have, can right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yannie, you can load you cookies with whatever your heart desires!

      Delete
  6. When are u baking this again? Don't forget about me, wink wink, lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When are you coming to see me? hee..hee...

      Delete
  7. Long time ago i made before. It was so hard that if i use to throw at dog, dog also die. LOL. tarak pandai make cookies

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Phong Hong,
    I'm starting to crave for some homemade cookies ... seeing these yummy-licious cookies of yours, I'm getting my hands to "kiau kiau kiau!". BTW, why freeze them? Hmm... it would definitely be great for any time snacks ... especially in front of TV or PC ... hee hee ... munching non-stop :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! I freeze them so that they can keep longer. Besides, it will keep me from sneaking a few cookies every now and then hee..hee...

      Delete
  9. Hi Phong Hong, wah so hardworking? Love this addictive cookies, send some over please. hahaha...

    Have a nice day, regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia! Quick catch, I throw one bottle to you! :D

      Delete
  10. Your cookies sure look fully loaded! :D If you eat only 3 at one time, your stash of 50 cookies (which you mentioned you're not sharing) will take you more than 2 weeks to finish leh! ;D By the way, I don't need any of your cookies....I have my own "Cookie" already....wakakaka! I agree with you, making cookies is more failproof....don't have to worry about the cake not rising, cake collapsing, cake sticking to the baking pan, cake not cooked in the middle, etc, etc....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the whole idea of keeping the frozen or else it will be all gone within a few days hah..hah... Your Cookie is better, cute to look at and won't make you fat hee..hee...

      Delete
  11. The recipe sounds easy and the outcome is delish! Yes, gonna try this one day when I am back on my two feet again so that I can drive out and get all the ingredients at one go... now susah sikit, have to depend on others to help me move about... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Get well soon, Claire! Then I want to see your cookies :D

      Delete
  12. You ate 3 only, but you're not going to share the rest. Means eventually you will eat them all anyway. >.<

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I will eat them all hah..hah... But over a few weeks and not within a few days :D

      Delete
  13. Wahaha! these cookies are definitely good with so much goodies in it. I know these are crunchy and crispy. Yum yum....so good to snack on them anytime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, I love these cookies with a lot of "liau" inside. Very ho liau!

      Delete
  14. WOW! sounds so good with "loaded' :D Sure you're not sharing the cookies with us? Never mind, I'll definitely going to bake some for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ann, I am looking forwards to your version of loaded cookies :D

      Delete
  15. with healthy oats and dried fruits as ingredients, it is alright to indulge yourself with this cookies..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agnes, thank you for giving me permission hah..hah..

      Delete
  16. Wow, delicious! Aiya, upfront already said not sharing so can't ask you for any, hehehe. You can open an eatery when you have retired and I will be there. I have lots of rolled oats and dried cranberries but no sugar and no butter and no flour and no oven so can't make cookies on a whim like you did. Your cookies are not sweet so just right for me!! Hahaha, you can't blame me for trying to get your cookies since they are so delicious and fully loaded! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a pity you only have part of the ingredients and none of the tools to bake!

      Delete
  17. I sure like your "loaded series" hehehe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..I love food loaded with ingredients!

      Delete