Monday 2 March 2015

Snack Attack!


It happens you know. That itchy mouth syndrome. You just wanna munch on something. Preferably something crunchy and salty. Though that happened just before Chinese New Year, I refused to buy Ngaku Chips and neither did I give in to my compulsion to buy a few bags of Ngaku to fry up my own. Nope! I can't take the hard work of peeling, slicing and sweating at the hot wok. Once is enough.

Besides, I had some weight to lose before I could squeeze into something nice at least for the first day of new year (nope, that did not happen). I promised myself that after the customary "Gong Xi, Gong Xi", I will slip into my sarong and tee-shirt and be done with it. I've got to breathe at some point.

My diet was going on fine until my Dark Passenger staged a revolt (Thanks to Dexter, now I have something to blame and a name for it). What's one to do when the craving kicks in? Is there actually anything healthy that one can munch on? How about Vegetable Chips? Curious? Hmmm...let's do this together shall we?



Let's look at the packaging. It does look nice doesn't it? From the picture on the package I can see long beans, purple sweet potato, pumpkin and maybe a yellow sweet potato. Don't know what that thing that looks like fries is.

It says here that the ingredients are made of naturally cultivated produce from Taiwan (String Bean, Sweet Potato, Taro, Burdock, Pumpkin, Purple Sweet Potato), malt, palm oil, pepper and salt. 




And there is also a warning to tell you "CAUTION : Contains non-toxic desiccant. Please do not eat." 



OK, this packet weighs 60g. It's a small packet. Let's take a look at the back. Yup, contents and nutritional information. It says that the serving size is 20g which means that there are 3 servings in this packet.



But you know me. Anything below 200g is considered one serving. That's why I can fit into a Cheongsam only in my dreams. Who cares. Let's munch. Yeah! 

Let's see what should I eat first. This string bean chips is a curiosity. I cannot imagine a string bean being elevated to potato chip status. Will it taste good? Crruunchhh!!!! Hmm..not bad. It tastes like those salted green peas. Quite nice.


String beans. Crispy!

Next, this thing that looks like French fries. It must be taro. Kraaappp!! Kraaapp!! It is quite hard. Tastewise errr...ok only lah.  


Taro chips.

And oh yes, pumpkin! My favourite! It is pretty good, yes I like this one.


They should have a packet with just pumpkin.
Now let's try the purple sweet potatoes. Hmmm... not bad. 



And now on to the burdock chips. Not my favourite. Don't like the taste.



Lastly, the yellow sweet potato chips. This I like. Very nice.



This one, DO NOT EAT!



That's it. One packet all gone. It was after all a small packet. I felt a gentle tug and I adjusted my sarong (yes, I wear sarong at home because I can adjust my waistband anyhow I like. Perfect for pig out sessions but pity I can't wear this to the restaurant). My Dark Passenger apparently is still not satiated. "More! I want more!" it tells me. So.......................



Okieee...... Might as well, eh? Let's take a look at this one too. Jacker Potato Chips. And ooooohhh... Hot & Spicy! Yup, I get my stash from 99Speedmart. "Dekat lagi murah" (Near and Save) is their tagline. No, I'm not promoting them, I'm just saying.



Let's not get into the nutritional information. Potato chips is potato chips. It's not health food but it's happy food. It makes me happy. Very happy. Best fixer upper ever. Mmmph... So good! Better than the vegetable chips. I'm sorry. I am not setting a good example. I am on bad behavior mode. And it looks like I have to wear a sarong permanently :(

36 comments:

  1. There's no such thing as healthy snacks...wakakaka!! The more unhealthy it is....the better it tastes...and we owe it to ourselves to be happy.....sometimes...kekeke! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right! Even if they are vegetable chips hah..hah...

      Delete
  2. I love the title already.. I think of 3 things rightaway - ngaku chips, Lay's and Pringle's sour cream chip.. I could eat 10 jars of ngaku chips and 10 tins of Pringle's.. Don't pray pray, haha.. Eh but your vegetable chips also look good wor, genuine or not? If made from real vegetables ok wor, sedap jugak.. But I still prefer my Lay's, hehe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louiz, wah you beat me flat lah like that! I can eat 2 jars of Nagku chips in one sitting and Pringles only one. I used to do that during my university days. Since it is salty, at the end of the can, I can feel my fingers throbbing. But now Pringles Sour Cream chips not so nice liao. Maybe it's just me.

      Delete
  3. I control my buy of tibits nowadays, if not watch TV or while online, eating non-stop, haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, me too. Dare not buy anymore.

      Delete
  4. Hahaha, I never buy those vegetable chips nowadays. I tried once and never again. They actually left me in-satiated and craving for real potato chips, so I ended up having vegetable chips + potato chips, like you did. Not good for health hahaha!! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, vegetable chips don't taste as good lah hee..hee...

      Delete
  5. No, thanks, not into these things. I don;t mind nuts though...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nuts are also something which I can't stop eating once I start!

      Delete
  6. Wah.... snacking. Sedapnya. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. HAHAHAHA... Jurucakap vegetable crisp dah mula bertugas!

    I don't wear sarongs because I don't really know for how long the sarung will stay where it should be. Takut tengah buat kerjarumah, sarong tercabut sebab I jenis brutal! Buat kerjarumah nak laju saja. Hahahaha..

    Yes, agreed. You tak bersalah for this craving. Dexter yang salah!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mama, I dah biasa pakai sarong. So far so good, tak tercabut hah..hah.... Yang paling best ialah makcik-makcik kat kampung masa I kecik-kecik dulu. They all berkemban selamba ajer.

      Delete
  8. yeah, CNY is snacking time and i guess once you suppressed yourself from feasting on them especially when an array of snacks are places on the coffee table in front of you - the aftermath is: you have an even a madder crave for it, hahaha!!

    anyway, i guess these veggie chips are sure to be a lot healthier than the fried nga goo.. if not mistaken, these veggie chips are dehydrated ones instead of deep fried.. they look good indeed as snacks, and if, i say IF, you cannot finish them at once, probably you can keep them in the fridge and then steam them.. i guess you will have fresh veggie again after steaming them!! muahahahaha..

    ooopsss, one is never enough!!! i just know that, haha.. errr, but that potato chips is rather more "harmful" than the fried nga goo i guess, hehe.. nvm lah, it's CNY (and still is, remember we have 15 days??) and let it be.. enjoy yourself, pamper yourself and be happy!!

    anyway, i like these veggie chips actually!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... I never thought of steaming them to get fresh veggies again LOL! Maybe can put inside Maggi mee. The thing is, they are not as syiok as potato chips. Must not buy anymore!

      Delete
  9. It makes me happy too, PH!! So you are not alone! I love the snacks you have above, in fact I still have one small packet in Ipoh... waiting for me to open once i go back.. hahahaa.. we are snacky people!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, high 5! I love to snack while watching TV. It is so nice but not good for my weight!

      Delete
  10. Hahahaha 99 Speedmart should thank u for promoting them. I have to say they're always well-stocked and way too convenient for grabbing snacks (I admit I sometimes grab some potato chips when I go in there to buy eggs and bread).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen! The price of certain goods there is also cheaper than at the supermarket.

      Delete
  11. What a funny post! I thoroughly enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Phong Hong, honest post about snacking. My friend kept asking me why she puts on weight eventhough she exercises daily and didn't eat fried foods. I asked her whether she has snacks in between meals. The answer is 'YES' but not much ma....while watching TV,lol.. So to snack or not to snack... is up to oneself, hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! Snacks are a sure fire way to put on weight! We don't realise how much we have eaten until it is too late. Best not to keep snacks in the house because there will be too much temptation and most of the time, I surrender LOL!

      Delete
  13. Hi Phong Hong, my eyes cannot see snacks in my house. If I see, I must eat. I stop buying snacks....but only once in a while...like you say cannot suppress the craving for snacks. After eating I regret.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I feel your pain hah..hah... That's why I refrain from keeping any at home. But once in a while, I do indulge :)

      Delete
  14. Do you wear the sarong when you cook? Just wondering cos sarong is long and kitchen is oily so don't think the combination works that well.

    I like to eat snack like this but don't dare to because whenever I eat, I will cut the insides of my mouth with the dry snacks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mun! Yes, I wear sarong when I cook. The length can be adjusted too :) I am used to it and it is comfortable. I get cuts inside my mouth when I eat too much keropok.

      Delete
  15. Hee hee, Phong Hong, I munch lots of nuts during this festival period. ... Seeing these chips made me wanna grab some too. Aiyoh! I must control :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, nuts and potato chips are very nice to eat while watching TV or surfing the internet hah..hah... but very dangerous for the waistline LOL!

      Delete
  16. Hi Phong Hong,

    I know these vegie chips!!! They look innocently good but they are super addictive... Having said that, they are very satisfying munchies :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, I do like them especially the pumpkin chips. I wish they had one with just the pumpkin.

      Delete
  17. These are healthy chips ,funny and a useful post

    ReplyDelete
  18. I didn't stop working out at all during Chinese New Year, I spent 1 hour in the gym almost during Chinese New Year (Normal days, I spend 2 hours). But I still put on 3 kg after 1 week. I back to my 2 hours work out in the gym, now, I lost 2 kg, I still have 1 kg to return to the weight before Chinese New Year. You can see how the impact of snacking during Chinese New Year. If i didn't go to gym at all, I could easily put on 5 kg. Scary huh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good for you, Yannie! I used CNY as a good excuse not to exercise hah..hah... It is quite normal to put on weight during CNY. I used to put on 5kg due to my non-stop eating. But this year I was more controlled, so it was less than 5 hah..hah... Don't worry, I am sure you can lose the excess weights once you hit the gym!

      Delete