Friday 6 March 2015

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins


What? Pumpkin again?? Please excuse me while I finish up my stock of frozen pumpkin puree. And mind you, there are two more tubs in the freezer hee..hee...



I simply had to find something to do with the excess pumpkin and hence this recipe which I sourced from Joy of Baking. I did not use that particular recipe but tweaked another one just because I had to use up some buttermilk too. Yup, another case of overstocking. 


As you can see, my decorating skills need improvement as the chocolate chips are all "tunggang langgang" (helter skelter) because I was in a hurry to put the muffins into the oven. Besides, fat fingers are not very nimble in handling small items like choc chips. Those fancy food stylists probably use tweezers to get the job done.


So do pumpkin go well with chocolate? They sure do in this muffin. Pumpkins do a great job in making bakes all nice and moist, so what we have here is a very moist and tender muffin with a rich chocolaty taste. Hershey's chocolate chips, no less. 


See that? So what say you if I bake another batch of these? hee..hee...









Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins
Recipe source : Adapted from Joy of Baking

Ingredients :
- 200g pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 120ml buttermilk or plain yogurt
- 120ml grapeseed oil
- 230g self-raising flour
- 60g sugar (this is very much reduced on account of the sweetness of the pumpkin and chocolate chips)
- 1tsp cinnamon powder
- 140g chocolate chips (mix with a tablespoon of flour to prevent them from sinking in the batter)

Method :
1. In a mixing bowl combine flour, sugar and cinnamon powder.
2. In another mixing bowl combine pumpkin puree, eggs, buttermilk and oil.
3. Pour the wet mixture into the flour mixture and fold until just combined.
4. Fold in chocolate chips
5. Scoop batter into muffin pan lined with muffin liners. 
6. Bake at 160C for 22-25 minutes or until skewer inserted into center of the muffin comes out clean.

38 comments:

  1. Haha I'm laughing la when you say fat fingers.. Aiyoyoama, please la.. I don't bother to use tweezers also la, I just mix all the chocolate chips into the batter and then scoop into the tray to bake, senang.. Love love your butterless pumpkin chocolate chip muffins, healthy yummy, and it's made by Phong Hong, sure best la!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Louiz for your confidence in my muffins hah..hah...

      Delete
  2. You makes me craving for it, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee... you can bake also mah...

      Delete
  3. Yummy looking muffins! The last time I made any pumpkin chocolate muffins was ages and ages ago! Lovely treat for snacking!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, I still have a few of the muffins stashed in my freezer LOL!

      Delete
  4. hahaha, thank you for answering that million-dollar question in advance.. now we know that you still have two tubs of pumpkin puree in your fridge and we will be expecting more pumpkin cakes to make us drool in this virtual world, hehehe!!

    hmmm, i supposed you baked this cake during CNY?? wah, golden yellow and it's such an auspiciously ONG color lah, haha.. should have used something red like cranberries to make it even more ONG!! but who cares about the chocolate chips?? you ain't going to use tweezers to arrange them perfectly on the cake, are you?? that you be too tedious unless you are going to give or sell the cakes to others.. else, it's just going to be walloped into your hungry stomach and you won't bother to even care how they are arranged right?? haha..

    the more i look at this pumpkin cake, the more i want to eat it.. like it's whispering to me, "okay, i know CNY was just officially over yesterday, and you have told yourself to resist all other snacks because you have had too much during CNY.. but then look at me, look at me!!! am i too sexy to be forgotten?? am i too delicious to be missed?? am i too moist to be given a pass?? forget about getting back in shape for another one more day, just one more day.. oh, come, come eat me!!!"~~

    and now, i wonder if Phong Hong actually heard the same thing, muahahahaha!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SK, your comment is so panjang lebar LOL! Yes, I baked this during CNY. The muffins can talk but I think you are the only one who can hear them LOL!

      Delete
  5. These muffins look simply adorable! I'm surprised there's no butter in it and the chocolate chips didn't melt when baked. I once saw a tip from Giada at Home to mix the chocolate chips into the dry ingredients, this way the chocolate chips won't sink to the bottom (much like what you did with the extra tbsp of flour).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The chocolate chips actually melt but they keep their shape. Some muffin recipes just use vegetable oil and they are just as good as the ones with butter.

      Delete
  6. Pretty cup cakes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Phong Hong, yes pls do bake another batch and then send some over to me...lol...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, Nancy! I send by express post hah..hah...

      Delete
  8. I just used my store of frozen pumpkin too!! But I made cookies instead. Probably because I didn't see these! Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I Love pumpkin cakes. These muffins were beautiful.

    Kiss,
    Clarinha

    http://receitasetruquesdaclarinha.blogspot.pt/2015/03/velvet-de-limao.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. I actually didn't notice that your chocolate chips are spread messily on the muffins.... until you mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Phong Hong, I'm way behind time of you with baking muffins. You have so many lovely posts on cupcakes and muffins that I have bookmarked to do, but just can't find the time yet. BTW, how to cos' I'm going on holiday again next week. Will try my best when I'm back, hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! Don't worry, enjoy your holiday first!

      Delete
  12. Read through the recipe, sounds easy but three quarter of the ingredients need to be bought! So better KIV first... hahaha... I cakap only.. never do any baking for a long long time already.. oven also rusty liow.. must get a new one... small ovenette can do this type of muffins or not, PH?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, if the ovenette has temperature control, I'm sure it can be done. So when? hah..hah...

      Delete
  13. Phong Hong, your pumpkin muffins are loaded with lots of chocolate chips! Yummy.
    Last week I baked a batch of chocolate chip muffins too but could count the chocolate chips as I used only 60g ... should have dumped more !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! Next time put more chocolate chips. They are my favorite addition to muffins :)

      Delete
  14. You are an expert muffin baker! I can tell that they are very tasty just by looking at your photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mun! I won't say an expert but perhaps an enthusiast :)

      Delete
  15. Time for you to open shop and take online orders. I am the first client!

    ReplyDelete
  16. how come your choc chip never melt one? Mine if like that melted liao :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It actually melted but still keep its shape.

      Delete
  17. Phong Hong, I love this recipe and my girls will love it too because of putting so much chocolate chips. By the way, I see no whisking or beating was done here, only mixing ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yannie! Yes, only mixing. So easy!

      Delete