Wednesday 30 July 2014

Adobong Antigo : AFF Philippines


After the long Hari Raya weekend, all too soon it is back to work! Really, I wouldn't mind another extra day or two. Sigh.....And it's back to blogging after the short but very sweet break.

Tomorrow is the last day of AFF Philippines and I better put up this post before the deadline. This dish here has got to be my favouritest dish among the Filipino recipes that I tried so far. I know there is no such word as favouritest but I am using it as emphasis of matter.



The intro to the recipe says that "With a combination of rum and buco juice (coconut water), this recipe will produce an exotic abodo taste". Rum and coconut water? Sounds like a nice cocktail :) I happen to have rum in my pantry and mind you, Filipino rum no less.



Coconut water is easily available at the supermarket. I have cooked twice with coconut water and the result was delicious, so no reservations there. Besides, this is a very easy dish to do and you have a choice of either chicken or pork. My choice is of course what else, my favourite pork belly! As instructed, I marinated the meat in a mixture of rum, soya sauce, garlic, pepper and vinegar. The original recipe also uses salt but I decided to go all the way with soya sauce instead.


After that, I drained the meat. The liquids were discarded and I retained the bits of garlic that clung to the meat. All that is left to be done is to heat up the wok, add some oil and fry the meat till brown. Then add in the coconut water and simmer until the meat is tender. I continued to cook off the coconut water until it was syrupy and the dish was fairly dry.



What you get is porky goodness that is salty, sour and sweet with a nice garlicky taste. See how nice and brown the meat is with bits of garlic clinging on to it. The original recipe calls for some extra garlic to to be fried and sprinkled on top. I skipped that step but I think it would be worthwhile to add extra fried garlic if you are a garlic lover. This Adobong Antigo I'll have to say is a keeper!











Adobong Antigo
Recipe source : Adapted from Panlasang Pinoy Meaty Recipes

Ingredients :
- 1kg pork belly
- 1/4 cup rum
- 4 tbsp soya sauce
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed (my garlic cloves were quite big)
- 1 tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup coconut water

Method :
1. Marinate the meat with rum, soya sauce, garlic, pepper and vinegar for at least 2 hours. Drain.
2. Heat oil in wok and stir fry meat till golden brown, pour off excess oil and add coconut water.
3. Simmer till tender and adobo begins to give off oil.
4. The dish should be moist and fairly dry. Serve.



I am submitting this post to Asian Food Fest - Philippines hosted by The Sweet Spot.

45 comments:

  1. This dish must be super tasty. U think we need extra rice to go with this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. With this dish, i can go for 2nd bowl of rice, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rum???? Oooooooo....I want!!! Gimme! Gimme! Gimme!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...Rum makes the world go round :)

      Delete
  4. Ohhhh... these look good... I think I can do this for CNY cos the guys love the fats there!! hahahaa...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can substitute rum with anything else?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lina, I can't think of anything :( I think the coconut water itself is good enough.

      Delete
  6. Wonder if It's also nice with other type of meat

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi and welcome back.. At home now, typing from my phone.. So not gonna be very long.. Tomoro start work.. Today is a forced leave by the way, everyone MUST apply leave! What a drag! Oohh I have to scroll down the post first to find out this dish is chicken, fish or pork, keke.. Actually I guessed it liao in the first picture, but just to scroll further to makesure.. My favourite sam chang bak wor, how would I not know, kan? Fatty pork, I can eat all, no hal! Eh this looks like the braised meat with intestines and hard boiled eggs which my MIL always cooks..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louiz! I don't mind having another day off even if forced leave hee..hee..This fatty pork is really good. I like it a lot! Me too eat this with no issues. Cholesterol belakang kira!

      Delete
  8. Is the rum taste distinctive? Gotta try cooking with coconut water one day.... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen! Yes, can detect the rum aroma though it is not that strong. Must cook with coconut water, you will love it!

      Delete
  9. Hahah ...pinoy food again ! Yuma

    ReplyDelete
  10. looking at the ingredients you used, I must say this dish sure taste fantastic. Gotta try it one day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yea, things are back to normal now, sob sob :(

    This one looks good, I love anything garlicky!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Phong Hong, can't tahan you ! ... always cook delicious dishes that will make me eat more rice ... ha ha! But I may sub it with lean pork cos I have lots of "sam chang bak" on my body liao ^-^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, with lean pork not so nice lah. I also have "sam chan bak" but I still indulge a bit hee..hee...

      Delete
  13. This looks amazing!! I am loving this dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really, Cathleen? You should eat some meat and not just desserts hee..hee..

      Delete
  14. Wow Phong Hong, you really cook the most interesting things!! I shall ask my helper if she knows this dish. It looks so darn good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, if your helper is Pinoy then she must be familiar with this. Get her to cook pronto!

      Delete
  15. Hi Phong Hong,

    Our holiday is miserable here in Melbourne. The last one that we had is in June and the next one is in Nov!!!! Ai yo... I will be happy if I were you :p

    At least, you get to relax and cook this beautiful dish... I don't :p hmmmm....

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, Malaysia has many public holidays. I like! But my company only recognises 15 days in a year, so there are some public holidays where we have to work.

      Delete
  16. Waa...you are cooking with my favorite pork belly also but can't eat too much of those leh, certainly looks tempting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, I cannot resist pork belly. That's why I also have pork belly around my waist LOL!

      Delete
  17. Yum yum......more pui pui nice ...:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ayoh! I don't take fat fat meat leh! But the way you cook very special leh :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Esther! I like the fatty parts hee..hee..

      Delete
  19. My helper told me pork belly is very popular in her country! This looks good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mich! I noticed that the Pinoys love their pork!

      Delete
  20. hmm.....serve this with a glass of rum cocktail, i think i will love it...let's get mabuk :D

    ReplyDelete
  21. This dish must be very tasty cooked in coconut water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mun! Yes, very tasty especially with rum some more :)

      Delete
    2. Coconut water means coconut juice, not coconut milk (santan), right?

      Delete
    3. Yes, coconut water/juice and not santan hah..hah...

      Delete