Thursday 16 March 2017

My Two Day Rendang Tok


Who takes two days to cook rendang? heh..heh... Day one to simmer the meat until tender and day two to stir it until dry. That's me 😜

I love beef rendang but it is quite a time consuming dish which is not difficult to cook.

A blender helps you make the spice paste and as for kerisik, you can easily buy good ready made ones from the shop.

Gone were the days where you had to pound the spice paste by hand and then invest some more energy to make kerisik.


And even better, you can use a pressure cooker or a slow cooker to make your delicious rendang. I basically sauteed the spice paste and then added the beef.

Saute some more until the beef is well coated with the spice paste and then plonk everything into the slow cooker.


Add santan and then let the slow cooker do its job. By the time the beef was tender, it was evening. This auntie must watch CSI, so the rendang was scooped into a corningware, left to cool and then placed in the fridge.

The next day, I transferred the rendang into my trusty wok and  continued to simmer and stir until the rendang was dry.


Then it was time to taste my two-day masterpiece. It better be good. I almost fainted because the rendang was divine. Most divine!

This recipe is a mix and match from Chef Wan and Chef Hanieliza. I could not decide whose version to follow, so I picked and chose what I liked from both recipes. I did not want to buy lengkuas because I hardly use it. So I left it out.

Rendang Tok
Recipe source : Adapted from Simply Sedap by Chef Wan and Senangnya Memasak Daging by Chef Hanieliza

Ingredients :
- 700g beef, cut into cubes (I used chuck beef)
- 200ml santan
- 80g kerisik
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tbsp fennel powder
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 2 star anise
- 4 cloves
-  1 piece tamarind (asam gelugur)
- 2 kafir lime leaves
- 2 turmeric leaves, finely sliced
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 2 tbsp brown sugar or to taste

Blended spices :
- 10 dried chilies, soaked to soften
- 1 big onion
- 8 shallots
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1" ginger
- 4 stalks lemongrass

Method :
1. Add cumin powder, fennel powder and coriander powder into the blend spice paste. Stir to mix.
2. Heat oil in wok and saute the blended spice paste, star anise and cloves until aromatic.
3. Add beef and stir until beef is coated with the spice paste.
4. Transfer into slow cooker (or continue to cook in the wok or pot) and add santan, asam gelugor, kafir lime leaves  and turmeric leaves.
5. Simmer until beef is tender.
6. Add kerisik and season with salt and sugar to taste. Continue to simmer and stir frequently until rendang is fairly dry. (If cooking in slow cooker like I did, transfer rendang to wok and continue to simmer and stir till fairly dry)
7. Serve with rice. Can also be made into a wonderful sandwich filling.

30 comments:

  1. I love to eat the rendang and the dry serunding ones are very expensively sold in shops. They told me that it takes 2 days too. I will stalk where you live and move to your street soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Somehow I don't like serunding :(

      Delete
  2. I love tender beef rendang. All the flavour and spice absorb into the meat, must be good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rendang is packed with wonderful flavors. It was worth the effort.

      Delete
  3. wah your beef rendang is the best! because you did not use any ready mix rendang paste/powder but made your own from scratch! 700g beef can lasts you how many meals?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The amount I cooked is good for 6 meals. Somehow I feel that using ready made paste is like "cheating" and I don't get the satisfaction that I get when making from scratch. No, I'm not against ready made pastes, I think they are a blessing to a busy cook.

      Delete
  4. That would go so well with lemang! Slurpssss!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, lemang! Hari raya is coming soon hee..hee..

      Delete
  5. Oh, thank you for sharing that you can use the slow cooker to cook rendang! This will definitely be helpful in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it helps to use a slow cooker but you still need to finish up in a wok for best results.

      Delete
  6. Your rendang looks divine! Two days of hark work and the rendang would be gone in no time at all! Yup, definitely worth all the effort!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyce :) Worth the time invested when I tasted the delicious rendang.

      Delete
  7. I salute you, if me, I pengsan liao...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love rendang tok. I used to order from my colleague. Now I am craving for rendang but lazy to cook. Maybe I will try with a pressure cooker, can save some time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, pressure cooker will cut down on cooking time.

      Delete
  9. Wuih....rendang pun nampak Leng Looilah...
    Tergoda ai hokey!
    Terus teringat Hari Raya....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee.. Tak lama lagi nak raya, Hainom :)

      Delete
  10. i love rendang, kalau raya memang tak miss buat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kan? Kalau takde rendang macam bukan raya gitu.

      Delete
  11. I love to eat rendang but has never made it at home. Why do you need to transfer to wok to simmer? Can it be left in the slow cooker to cook until it's dry (for lazy woman version)? ;) Also, may I ask how long you cooked it in the slow cooker before transferring to the wok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, I tried to continue simmering (with lid off) in the slow cooker but it was taking too long and the rendang was not taking on the right color. That was why I transferred it into the wok to finish up and that's when I observed the transformation. It dried up quickly and the rendang turned from pale orange to dark brown.

      Delete
  12. Wahhhh!!! Drool over you rending tok~

    ReplyDelete
  13. The other day Gulai Ayam also sedap. This rending is totally delicious..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just chat with a Malay chef regarding this Rendang Tok when I did a review the other day. I know this dish need hours of cooking time but I don't think it need 2 days, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Yelah PH, its long way and long day to have your rendang, i dont think if i cook your way, my rendang is still there, or dah selamat dimakan myanaks, hehheh.
    I salute you, so sabar to have your mabeles rendang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you..thank you...nak makan best2 kena sabar kan, ticer. Rendang ni kira worth it lah. Sedap!

      Delete