Thursday 30 April 2015

A Korean Pig Out


The brother and I were at it again last weekend. This outing was actually to buy some computer hardware at the IT mall situated in Section 14 (where Metrojaya used to be). Since the Korean restaurant was in the vicinity, we decided to make that our pig out venue. 

We were a bit early, arriving at 11:30 am, both brother and sister very hungry. In spite of already eating breakfast, we were raring to go.


Since the restaurant was not opened yet, we decided to cross the road to Jaya 33. In search of junk food. My brother tells me that Jaya Grocer stocks a good variety of imported junk food. We like junk food for stress relief which is actually very bad. In fact, I gave him a bit of sisterly advice to go slow on the potato chips and munchies.


But all my sagely advice went out the window when I got there. Look at that! So many choices of munchies and crunchies. 


I saw my favorite Smokin BBQ Doritos. I used to eat one whole packet of that after dinner because it made me happy. And it also made me fat.

That's my brother going for the Doritos. But he changed his mind.

To cut to the chase, me and the brother left Jaya Grocer with 2 packets of junk food each. Yeah, me and my sisterly advice. The pot calling the kettle black.

We made our way back to the restaurant. Earlier on the drive there, my brother asked me "Can we get 3 meat? I'm very hungry. Would that be too much?". I assured my brother that 3 meat is no big deal for the two of us. I think we did 3 meat before.

Once we were comfortably seated at Daejanggum, we perused the menu briefly and decided on pork, beef and lamb.


We have been here many times and it's our go to restaurant for Korean food. We like it here because it is quiet and service is efficient. Besides it nearer to our homes. We used to venture out to Ampang for our Korean fix and it's a bit out of the way.


The lamb came first. And the server got busy with the grill.


Our condiments were served together with side dishes. That's what I like. A bit of this and a bit of that.


Soon the lamb was cooked. I couldn't wait to taste it.


It was so good! Well marinated and cooked just right. Next was the pork. It was also good but not as exciting as the lamb. We eat pork quite often so it was nothing unusual.


The server then got busy with the beef. She asked how we would like it done and of course, we requested for medium rare. 



She gave us one piece each to taste and upon receiving our thumbs up, she stopped cooking and transferred all the juicy beef to a serving dish. It was good, though not as tender as we expected.


I was right. Having 3 meat was not too much for us at all. It was about right. We did feel quite full and did not ask for any refills of the side dishes. This salad came in the middle of our meal.


So there you have it, our 3 types very tasty protein.


The aftermath. Everything totally demolished.


On the way down, I snapped this pic. A pictorial of the dishes served here. So far on all our visits we had the barbecue. It's time to try other things like bibimbap.


With our bellies full, we made our way to the IT mall for a good workout hah..hah.. Yeah going up and down the mall. My brother took the lead as I am completely useless when it comes to computers and computer accessories. All I know is CPU, monitor, keyboard and mouse. OK, maybe HDMI cable and router. And that's it hah..hah... I felt quite lost in there. I reckon my brother feels the same way when he accompanies me  to Bake with Yen.

This is my brother's choice of junk food. Photo taken when he was busy moving the computer stuff. And no, I am quite well behaved these last few days and my Doritos is still intact hee..hee...until God knows when.

The one at the back is Sweet Chilli and Sour Cream. I hope it doesn't taste weird because I also took a packet.

46 comments:

  1. Amboi, Korean food this time.. I know they serve more then 5-6 types of side dishes for appetizer.. I think different restaurants serve different types of sides.. I tried before mashed potatoes, mashed egg (something like egg mayo), fried potato strips, some ikan bilis, kimchi, a few more la, but forgotten what.. Some is nice, some is not (maybe it's just me).. Oh yes, BBQ meat is something not to be missed too.. But bet your hair and clothes got BBQ smell la after that, hehe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya lah, must tukar selera eat something different. This time I did not notice the smell hah..hah... Actually with those side dishes alone, can be quite filling especially of request for refills.

      Delete
  2. Nowadays when I hit AEON, I will avoid walking into the snacks aisle, also known as hell aisle to me... >.<

    I seldom have BBQ meats in Korean restaurant, mainly because I usually go with colleagues during lunch time and BBQing leaves a "wonderful" odour to our clothes. But I think 3 meat servings is not too much also lah for 2 people, if the servings are similar for all Korean restaurants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, best to avoid temptation but I always purposely go there hah..hah... During work days I usually avoid eating like that. You know lah, sure fall asleep in the afternoon :D

      Delete
  3. Hi Phong Hong,

    The red rock sweet potato chips are my FAV!!!! I can't live without them :p

    Nice food at this restaurant. I don't think it is a real pigging out as the food come in very small portions... Don't you think?

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe! Small portions but there a many of them hah..hah...

      Delete
  4. Wahhhhhhh, so syioknya makan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Phong Hong, we can shake hand and hug each other, me also cannot resist junk foods, hahaha....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that a charcoal grill? My favourites are always the beef and seafood. The side dishes...all quite common except I spot one that looks like cut fruits or vege in mayo? If you like kimchi, then you'd probably like bibimbap...I don't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, charcoal grill. The cut fruits and vege was made up of apples, potatoes and carrots. Quite a nice combination. I don't really like kimchi but I can tolerate it.

      Delete
  7. Have not tried any Korean crisps though there is one Korean mini mart near my workplace. Things sold there are pricey and I always restrain myself & my kids from having crips to avoid sore throat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agnes, it's best to avoid crisps. But I like it too much hah..hah..

      Delete
  8. I love grilled meat but that always leave some odor on our clothes and hair. The sides dishes also yummy. Junk food also my favourite but have now lessen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, somehow this time I didn't notice the smell hah..hah..

      Delete
  9. eih that was indeed a very interesting outing with your brother.. you got to go to the supermarket and then a nice Korean BBQ and then you work it all out at the IT mall.. I must tell you I love these activities!! haha.. especially shopping inside a supermarket, call me auntie but for a person that doesn't cook but only eat, I love browsing through all the things in a supermarket, raw or cooked or readily packed.. I guess the main reason of that is: FOOD!! muahaha.. especially those supermarkets that sell imported stuffs, I will be very interested to see what others have got but we don't in the local market.. and then I can also learn the names of the different types of fish and veggie and cheese by studying the tags, of course I trust they have labeled them correctly.. you know I am one who doesn't know how to differentiate the different fish and veggie.. and lastly the snacks!! aiyoh I tell you, better don't get me started, like you, those chips can be such tempting to me, and also the biscuits and cookies.. many times I have to tell myself they are fattening, they are expensive to make myself leave empty handed.. but once I go crazy I can really get crazy, hehehe!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too love browsing at the supermarket but I am an auntie hah..hah... Especially at Cold Storage because they have many interesting imported stuff. I once spotted a 1kg can of ox tongue! As for the snacks, there are so many to choose. Wish I could sample each one :)

      Delete
  10. Drool! Drool! Waiting for one Korean BBQ place here to open - sure will go and give it a try. In the meantime, I guess I will just have to drool.. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Then you must go for Korean in your next visit over here :)

      Delete
  11. have not been to a Korean restaurant for quite some times.. the one I used to patronize is the one in Taman Danau Desa, it's a restaurant on the 1st floor of a shoplot called Seoul Korea.. and it is just opposite where our blogger friend TM used to stay last time!! I think both these restaurants are operated by native Korean and serve very authentic food.. the BBQ looks good, though I am not a fans of mutton, haha, would have ordered pork most of the time.. and actually when it comes to Korean, I like those small dishes, or what they called banchan, more.. how much they give judges how sincere they are.. the Seoul Korea I used to patronize would give like 15 different types, what about this Daejanggum?? I think more or less.. I actually find just eating the banchan is so enjoyable already I don't actually need to have other things, hahaha!! that's why I heard the boss say, business is tough bcos they have to serve those banchan for free and yet some customers only order a bowl of noodles.. oh, I miss Korean BBQ and wish to have it now!!! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The restaurant I went to in Ampang gives more variety of banchan and is run by a Korean husband and wife team. But I can't remember the name. Maybe one day I should go back there.

      Delete
    2. Oh My Gawd! I am shocked that SK remembers that I lived in that condo some 10 years ago. I used to eat at that restaurant very often and I swear that they serve the best Kimchi Jigae besides other dishes and Barbeque sets. This is the only Korean restaurant in KL that still enjoys long queues of customers nightly. Friday's and Saturdays need bookings otherwise can forget it.
      I always believe that I was a Korean warrior in my past life as I love Korean food like crazy and have this daily chat room with my ex Korean college mates in US. You really surprised me that i am not alone in snacking potato chips and tortillas.

      Delete
    3. TM, I love Korean food very much too! I am sure many people love snacking on potato chips hah..hah...

      Delete
  12. I seldom go to Korean BBQ nowadays due to the smell it leaves on our clothes. Is the lamb tender? I like the meat to be tender. Sounds like a more than satisfying meal for you and your brother. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lamb was very tender and so delicious!

      Delete
  13. I never buy junk food but sweets are my obsessio😄

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love Korean Kimchi and BBQ, just had Korean BBQ chicken on Wed

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimchi is not my favourite hah..hah...

      Delete
  15. I seldom eat chips, don't have craving for them

    ReplyDelete
  16. Phong Hong,
    I have not have Korean BBQ (authentic ones) for such a loooong time. Drooling ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, one day you should have Korean!

      Delete
  17. Yes, I love Doritos too!My favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Phong Hong, whenever I read your post on dieting and the food you consumed [type and quantity], I shook my head first, then I smiled to myself. You are very lucky and gutsy enough forty something to enjoy them first then 'belakang kira', hehehe! I didn't do this during the same era. Do you think a fifty something can follow your way? Maybe can but must have someone else beside me to clean up whatever remains. BTW, I realised that grilled or fried meat tasted good with sliced onions [raw or cooked].

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, hah...hah..better don't follow what I do :D Yes, I also love raw onions with fried or grilled meat. Especially when eating satay!

      Delete
  19. Hi Phong Hong, I look look only....LOL cos I don't know how to eat Korean food. But I don't mind to have he potato chips..:))

    Have a wonderful weekend,regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, never mind. You can enjoy other types of cuisine :)

      Delete
  20. I love snacks, Phong Hong! I'm drooling at your food post now. Lol! Looks like you're having a fun time pigging out, dear. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shirley, pigging out is my hobby hah..hah...

      Delete
  21. hi phong hong, me too hv very little knowledge about computers and tech..that why some friends call me suaku.....hehehe..it has been a long time since i last had korean food....after reading your post, think i will go one of these days! btw, i always hv a packet of twisties at home :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, at one time I was addicted to Twisties hah..hah... I like the tomato sauce flavour :)

      Delete
  22. I love snacks too, Phong Hong. I mean who don't, even Zoe loves sweet potatoes chips :p
    I like the 3rd last picture, the food must be really delicious!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. mui mui, the food was very good! Haiz...cannot slim down if snack too much hee..hee..

      Delete