Monday 26 January 2015

Spaghetti With Pork Chops and Tomatoes


I was craving for pasta. Gimme my carbs!! To borrow a terminology from Dexter, I gave in to my Dark Passenger. Dexter's Dark Passenger kills but mine eats.


So spaghetti it was and a quick and simple one. I marinated a bunch of pork chops (actually they are shoulder loin) and set one aside for my pasta. This is how I cooked the pork chop and cherry tomatoes. 


I lined a round stainless steel tray with aluminum foil and placed a handful of cherry tomatoes on the lined tray. On goes a wire rack (yup, my cake cooling rack) and on the rack I placed a piece of pork chop. Before I did that, I made sure to rub the pork with some olive oil. The tray went into the oven at 180C for 16 minutes and once done it was left in there for another 10 minutes to continue cooking on residual heat. While all that was going on, I cooked the spaghetti.


This is how my grilled pork chop and tomatoes looked like when they came out of the oven. I let the meat rest for 10 minutes before slicing it into bite sized pieces.


After I drained the spaghetti, I tossed it in some onion and garlic oil which I made earlier. Then I threw in the pork piece and tomatoes and mixed everything together.


Ohhh....it was sooooo good!! I thought the marinated pork was particularly tasty and everything went so well together. 


Since I enjoyed the spaghetti so much, I thought I should share the recipe here. I marinated 4 pieces of pork chops and I basically eye balled the recipe. So, by all means make your own adjustments according to taste. My Dark Passenger now rests in peace.











Spaghetti with Pork Chops and Tomatoes
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients for pork chops :
- 1 piece of pork loin, pound with a meat tenderizer hammer

Ingredients for marinade :
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon tomato sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon Lea & Perrins sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- 1 clove garlic finely pounded
- 1 tsp tapioca starch
- some pepper

- spaghetti, as much as you like
- cherry tomatoes, as many as you like

Method :
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients together and marinate pork chop for 1 hour.
2. Line a stainless steel tray or baking tray with aluminium foil.
3. Place cherry tomatoes on the lined tray.
4. Put a baking rack on the tray.
5. Rub pork chop with oil and place on top of the baking tray. Sprinkle with pepper.
6. Cook in the oven at 180C for 16 minutes and leave to cook further for another 10 minutes on residual heat.
7. Rest the meat for 10 minutes before slicing.
8. Cook spaghetti as per packet instruction. Once cooked, drain and toss on onion and garlic oil.
9. Add sliced pork chops and tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and toss to mix. Eat!


Photobucket

This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Anne of My Bare Cupboard.

48 comments:

  1. nice!!! anything pork chop would be nice to me, muahahaha!! and I like the way you cook your spaghetti with onions and garlic oil, that already sounds so aromatic and tasty to me.. together with the pork chop and tomatoes to balance the taste.. ah, I like, of course minus the spring onions on top, hehe~~ :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SK, I knew you would have an issue with the spring onions :) These days whenever I see spring onions I think of you hah..hah....

      Delete
  2. The name sounds so yummy already.. I love spaghetti, I love pork chops, so yeah, I love your post today.. Mum makes the best pork chops in the world too, and she uses her secret ingredient - Lea & Perrin's sauce.. And I see you use the same ingredients in your recipe, wah, then you are a good good cook too :) Mum uses Lea & Perrin's in lamb/beef and pork, she says taste nicer.. And I bet your spaghetti is the best spaghetti in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louiz, you make me so happy :) The spaghetti was good due to the pork chops. It is true what your mum said. Lea & Perrins sauce makes a difference.

      Delete
  3. Love it when you say...recipe source: Phong Hong :D That's an ingenious idea...putting the pork chop on a rack over your tomatoes! Never thought of that...now your pork chop drippings can also help to flavour the tomatoes. I'm definitely going to make this one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kris, that method came about because I needed a speedy and fuss free way of cooking a packed lunch. I will post that up hopefully soon.

      Delete
  4. good recipe...wanna try this when have time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meow, the pork chops turned out pretty good, so please try!

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful pasta meal which set my eyes drooling at the baked tomatoes! I must try it since your photos are so detailed and looks easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TM, do try as it is an easy fuss free way of cooking pork chops and tomatoes at the same time.

      Delete
  6. This simple steps recipe is just nice for me...hope to try it soon. Thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, you will love this method of cooking as it is hassle free.

      Delete
  7. Ooooh PH, I like the look of your pasta dish - sounds really delicious. Those pork juices dripping onto the tomatoes while roasting... yum!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yen, I love cooking this way now hee..hee...

      Delete
  8. Rest in peace? That's not gonna happen. The Dark Passenger is like a vampire. It can only be temporarily sated, 2 days and it will come back again! :D

    Okay lah your pasta, got tomatoes, garlic and olive oil, healthy also lah ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right because this morning Dark Passenger found a chocolate banana mousse in the fridge and had it for breakfast. LOL!

      Delete
  9. Hi Phong Hong, I loved the way you grilled your pork chops over the tomatoes, brilliant! Your bowl of pasta sure looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Veronica! I devised that cooking method out of a need to cook simply and quickly :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Phong Hong, Love your way of cooking, simple and fuss free which i like!! Your pasta dish looks so yummy too. Look forward to more hassle free recipes from you cos i hate to mop the kitchen after cooking :P Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Madeline! I like to keep it simple and yes, will definitely share more :)

      Delete
  11. My daughter would love this. We had pasta....and pizza when she was home for the weekend. Post on that coming soon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am looking forwards to see the pasta you had :)

      Delete
  12. Looks yummy, restaurant quality ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah really? Thanks Hayley heee..heee...

      Delete
  13. Hohoho! Phong Hong, this must be yummy, yummy. I have some Angel Hair left. Thanks for the sharing this recipe. Now I can just cook it this way to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, I also like Angel Hair, It is nice and fine. I think I also have a packet. Hope you enjoy the pasta, my style hee..hee...

      Delete
  14. Oh Phong Hong! Dexter ??? Well, CSI was my "ang moh" series many many moons ago ... I hardly watch series nowadays as still trying to catch up HK & K drama.
    This spaghetti with pork chops and tomatoes is definitely very yummy-licious. .. looking at all the pictures. .. Wow ! Drooling !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I also love CSI! I don't know why I love all this murder murder shows LOL!

      Delete
  15. Your dish looks like those served by Nana Green tea. Not only can you open a bakery to sell cakes, now you can open a cafe to see spaghetti too. Your partner is so lucky to be eating restaurant grade meals at home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mun, thank you so much for your very generous compliments! I feel so happy hee..hee..

      Delete
  16. Just looking at it I know it's good already:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jeannie! I like your comment hah..hah...

      Delete
  17. Hi Phong Hong,

    I like your dark passenger... Yours is the one who can appreciate good food :D This pasta with pork chops and baked tomatoes looks awesome!

    Happy passenger = Happy you??? Can't help to see the connection :p

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe! Yes, my dark passenger is my alter ego. I have someone to blame when I overeat LOL! Thanks to Dexter for the idea :)

      Delete
  18. Wah ...your pasta looks so much better than those I had in pastamania.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Indeed your pasta looks good! My kids will simply love this too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Phong Hong, wow.... look so appetizing and awesome. You sure can cook very well. All your dishes and bakes look superb. 2 thumbs up for you.

    Have a nice week ahead,regards.
    Amelia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amelia! You are very generous with your compliments and I accept them gratefully hee..hee...

      Delete
  21. Your pasta dish is making my mouth water! Looks really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Phonghong , can't help but grin re your dark passenger ! Love your pasta , the baked pork chop is delicious on its own , I'm pretty sure your pasta tastes as wonderful as it looks !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Anne! My dark passenger is hassling me again for another round of pasta hah..hah...

      Delete