Friday 24 October 2014

Coconut and Gula Melaka Pumpkin Pie


I can't believe I spent half the morning at 1-Utama looking for a tart pan. Me. Tart pan. Who would have thought? I am still shaking my head in disbelief.


My first stop was Cold Storage. Nope no tart pan. Then I zoomed to Aeon. I remembered seeing lots of tart pans there. That was when tart pans were the furthest thing from my mind. As usual, when I want something, it's not there. Let's try Parkson. Worse. Their baking section is so pathetic.

I was about to give up when I remembered a shop on the same floor as Cold Storage that sold household items. I don't know the name of this shop in spite of having walked past it many times. Fingers crossed, I walked in and when I was about to give up, there it was.



Tart pans in a set of three. This was how much it cost.


The stingy madam actually paid for this.

One more reason to add to my top ten list of why I have to work even though I am burnt out. The motivation to buy a tart pan was to bake an apple tart but that did not happen.

But all was not lost as I have used one of the tart pans to bake this very delicious Coconut and Palm Sugar Pumpkin Pie. My maiden journey into tart/pie territory was fraught with many mishaps :( I am actually very embarrassed to publish this post but what the heck!


You can see spots of butter which means that my dough was not properly mixed.

This is my first time making shortcrust pastry. Naturally, I was nervous but the only way to learn is to forge ahead and get your feet wet. I have watched countless videos on how to do this and the easiest method seems to be to dump the whole thing into a food processor. Since I don't have this gadget, I used two forks (please don't laugh) to cut the butter into the flour.



It was not that bad as I managed to get a mixture resembling breadcrumbs. I added water two tablespoons at a time and continued mixing until I produced a pliable dough. Hmmm... looking good :) Then I wrapped the dough in cling wrap and left it to rest in the fridge. For a few hours because I had to go do my grocery shopping.


Looks encouraging but my dough was too thick.

When I came home, I was ready to get started on the pie crust. I was very naive. When I took the dough out of the fridge, it was soooo... hard. Like stone. I tried rolling it every 10 minutes (again, please don't laugh). It was finally pliable after 20 minutes. I took my virgin rolling pin out and rolled away.

The dough kept cracking and I had to keep patching it and finally I managed to roll a sheet of dough. The recipe said to use an 18cm (7") x 4cm (1.5") tart ring. My smallest tart pan is 8" with a height of 1 1/8". And looking at the dough, it looks like quite a lot for an 8" pan. It was then that I decided to use the 9" pan. 


Ugliest pie ever.

I gamely rolled the dough around the rolling pin (technique learnt from watching YouTube) and transferred the dough onto the pan. Then I pressed it into the pan. After blind baking the crust, it was then that I realized my mistakes.

My dough was not rolled thinly enough and the crust shrank at certain sectors of the border. And I did not mix the dough evenly as I could see spots of butter when looking at the photo of the raw dough. Haiz..... I even managed to get the filling onto the edge of the crust because I accidentally tilted the pan when attempting to place the pie into the oven :( So clumsy!



After I made the filling, I realized that it was more than enough to fill the 9" pan. There was still quite a bit leftover after I poured the filling into the pan. In order not to waste, I used the leftover dough to line 2 small disposable aluminum cake tins and made 3 (last one had no crust hah..hah...) mini pies. They were also very ugly. Look.


I need more practice.

Another challenge I faced was slicing the pie. I was so scared of breaking the crust (the edge of the pie) and sure enough, I did not get neat cuts. 



But at the end of the day, how the pie tasted was more important. What can I say? Pumpkin+Santan+Gula Melaka - how could this not taste good? It was lovely but my pie crust spoiled the show. It was underbaked :( It is my first time and I shouldn't be too upset. As they say, practice makes perfect and I ought to be churning out more pies and tarts soon, eh?










Coconut and Palm Sugar Pumpkin Pie
Recipe source : Adapted from Flavours (October 2014 issue page 55)
Note : The pastry dough and pumpkin filling is more than enough for an 8" tart pan.

Ingredients :

For shortcrust pastry :
- 250g flour
- 45g caster sugar
- a pinch of salt
- 125g cold butter, cubed
- 50ml water
- 1 egg yolk (reserve egg white to brush pastry)

For custard filling :
- 300ml coconut milk (I used 200ml packet santan and added 100ml water as the santan is thick)
- 100g palm sugar (gula Melaka), grated
- 300g pumpkin flesh, steamed till soft (I used homemade frozen roasted pumpkin puree)
- cinnamon powder to taste (I used 1 teaspoon)
- 3 eggs

For Sugar Crust (optional)(I skipped this step because I don't have a blowtorch)
- superfine sugar

Method :

For shortcrust pastry :
1. Mix flour, sugar and salt.
2. Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. (I used two forks)
3. Add water a little at water and mix till it becomes a soft, pliable dough (I added the yolk first and then added water two tablespoons at a time. I did not use all the water)
4. Wrap dough in cling film and refrigerate for about 1 hour.
5. Preheat oven to 150C.
6. Roll the dough into a 3 to 4mm thick sheet then place it into a 18cm x 4cm tart ring (I used an 9" tart ring)
7. Fill the mould with baking beans or dried pulses and blind bake for 15 minutes.
8. Remove from oven and brush pastry with the egg white.
9. Bake for another 10 minutes. 
10. Remove from oven and set aside.

For custard :
1. In a saucepan, heat the coconut milk and palm sugar over low heat and stir until palm sugar dissolves.
2. Remove from heat, then add the pumpkin, cinnamon and eggs.
3. Process with a hand held blender or stand blender until smooth (I did not do this, I just mixed with a whisk till everything was well mixed).

To bake :
1. Preheat oven to 150C.
2. Pour the custard into the tart mould base and bake for around 45 minutes or until custard sets. (Mine took 40 minutes).
3. Remove from oven and leave to cool.

To make sugar crust (I skipped this step)
1. Sprinkle top of pie generously with sugar.
2. Blow-torch the sugar, caramelizing it to a golden brown.
3. Set aside to cool and harden.
4. Repeat this step, then serve.




Photobucket

This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Eileen of Eileen's Diary.



This post is also linked to Cook-Your-Books #17 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.

61 comments:

  1. Pengsan sekejap at the price. LOL.

    But since you are using it instead of leaving it as white elephant then okay la /

    Even skipping a step , the pie still looks very delicious. wish can sink my teeth in them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meow, I was so desperate for a tart pan, so lantaklah! This one is imported brand so I guess the price pun imported LOL!

      Delete
  2. What!!! RM133 for a tart pan. I will never pat that kind of money for it but that is just me :) great looking tart by the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gertrude, under normal circumstances I wouldn't either but I don't know why I was so determined to get the tart pan and hence willing to pay the price. It is in a set of 3 and being branded (Wilton), I guess it is pricey over here. The quality is very good. Worth it lah :)

      Delete
  3. Oh dear, you orang kaya lah, I looked at the price I nearly pengsan already. I don't think I will ever pay so much for tart pan, hahaha! If I live near to you, you can borrow from me, haha. I have extra large rectangle shape(never been used), a square shape(again, never been used), a standard round shape and mini round & rectangle shapes. Oops,got distracted liao. I want to say that your pumpkin tart was baked to perfection. Silky smooth on the top, no cracks at all. The colour is so nice, made me think of lemon tart for a reason. Look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessie, where got kaya? I was too desperate that's why I paid for it. It comes in a set of 3 so should be considered OK lah for Wilton brand. I think I will be happy with just these 3 tart pans. Better not buy anymore, no place to keep liao. I better bake more tarts and pies so that it is worth my money spent on the pans LOL!

      Delete
  4. Hi Phong Hong
    You are so determine to bake a pie and even go all way out to purchase the tart pans in a set of 3!! But Im glad to see that this pumpkin pie looks gorgeous and perfect. Looks so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel! Yes, so determined and therefore eyes also blinded :D No regrets as the pan is of good quality and my pie turned out not bad lah hee..hee...

      Delete
  5. Wow, I really mean double wow, your pumpkin tart looks so so so good.. Yep, Murphy's Law, when you want something desperately, you can't get it.. But when you don't want it, they're everywhere.. Duh.. Call me jakun, I didn't know tart pans cost so expensive.. Errr, I thought they're like RM9.90 for a small one? My sis has tart trays, not pans, made of porcelain, those kinda thingy, cost like only RM5.90 from the local mart.. But yeah, I know you want a good quality tart pan coz you are a great home-baker..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya lah, Louiz. Always happens to me like that. Actually these tart pans are expensive because it is branded (Wilton), if not I don't think it should be that expensive. Since I got no choice I just close my eyes and buy. For small tarts I think I will buy those disposable pans. Thinking of baking egg tarts hee..hee..

      Delete
  6. If you got use it, ok lor, if me, not worth to buy as i only use once in a very very very blue moon...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, I hope that I will be hardworking enough to bake another pie or tart. If not, my money wasted liao...

      Delete
  7. the Halloween mood is here!! we see pumpkins here and pumpkins there, hahahaha!! but seriously, this is kind of fusion to put gula melaka with pumpkin together in a pie, sounds interesting and also exotic too.. now let me imagine, perhaps this coconut + gula melaka + pumpkin taste something like our kuih talam?? hahaha.. call me *jakun*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SK, you are right. Taste like kuih talam, so soft and lemak and fragrant. I like!!

      Delete
  8. wow RM133.90!! but i think once it comes to something you like, i guess you will not hesitate to buy it.. okaylah, can use this for at least 10 years i guess, and not like something you just wallop and gone and then the next day flush down the toilet.. so divide RM133.90 into 10 years or into how many times you are using it, then it would actually sound a lot cheaper and economical huh?? hehehe~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree because these tart pans are imported and are of good quality. I shall make it a point to use them often though I am quite lazy to make the dough hah..hah... Actually if I have found those cheaper ones, I would not have spent so much. But maybe fated lah....

      Delete
  9. For yourself, worth investing!! As for me, don't even think about it!! hahahaha... Since you are such a good chef, it is really worth buying and utilizing them to the fullest.. if I buy, the money will go into waste.. sigh..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire! If I had found cheaper one, I would not have spent so much. This was the one and only tart pan in 1-Utama hah..hah... and I couldn't wait to source for it elsewhere.

      Delete
  10. By the way, your pumpkin pie looks droolinglicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is money well spent...coz your tart looks beautiful (although you'd probably prefer if the pan was sold individually...who makes 3 tarts at one go anyway!). And, if you don't tell us that it's underbaked...we wouldn't know ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Well, maybe it was a blessing in disguise that I got three sizes. I can use the 8" to make a tart/pie/quiche for myself and if sharing with others I can use the bigger ones.

      Delete
  12. lovely pie and i always believe the principle of 'value for money', guess this pan will surely come with very good quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen! These Wilton pans are certainly good value for money and I must use them often!

      Delete
  13. Hi Phong Hong, some of the cakes and tarts pan are super expensive in M'sia. But I will feel heart sick to spent RM133.90 on tart pans..LOL

    Anyway your tart look superb, very well baked. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
    Nice click too.

    Have a nice day, regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia! Thanks for compliments :) I don't usually spend so much on baking tools but this was a case of desperado hah..hah... I just couldn't wait to get a tart pan and therefore ended up with 3 LOL!

      Delete
  14. What an adventure to get the tart pan! Hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lina, it was tiring and that's why I succumbed even though it cost RM133.90 LOL!

      Delete
  15. I think you've made a good investment. You'll never regret getting good quality pans. Treat them well and they last you a lifetime. Besides, your pie looks great! Never mind the underbaked crust .... you learn from mistakes. The next one will be super!
    Oh...you could have tried Aino ... they have some pretty good bake stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ping! Yup, it's a good investment as I can see that the pans are of very good quality. I just need to make sure I make good use of them. I'll check out Aino one of these days. Just hope I don't go crazy and start buying more stuff :)

      Delete
    2. You WILL go crazy! Guaranteed! :)

      Delete
    3. hah..hah...I better lock up my credit card :)

      Delete
  16. Hi Phong Hong, I wanna give you a few big pat on your shoulder ! You've baked a lovely big Pumpkin Pie ! Clap clap ! Well done !
    When I baked my 1st pie, I didn't invest in big pie/tart mould. But I tried out the big disposable aluminium one. I know it's not easy to handle big pie or tart crust. So I bought a few smaller tart cases. As I've storage problem so I cannot have too many 'ka chang'. I don't even have a big rolling pin ... I used glass bottle to roll the dough.
    So, I'll be expecting more sharing of PH's pies and tarts soon ^-^! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! Thank you, thank you... I may have been a bit over ambitious and should have thought of those disposable. Anyway, money spent already hah..hah...

      Delete
  17. This looks so good ! If my hubby sees this, he is sure to say " When are you making this ?".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... so, when are you making this :)

      Delete
  18. You keep saying ugly, ugly, ugly, but I don't see where is the ugliness at all! It looks super delicious leh!
    I totally understand why you parted with RM133.90. Sometimes we are like that. Suddenly the voice in the heart is very determined. "WANT TO BAKE TARTS! MUST BAKE TARTS!! ARHHH!!!!" :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... RG, you really understand me! That was how it was that day, all the running around just to find a tart pan and then busting my budget. It's a sunk cost now, so all there is to do is to bake more pies and tarts. Hopefully the next ones are more decent looking :)

      Delete
  19. Phong Hong,Your pumpkin tart looks very pretty!
    Don't think too much after all you already got the pans. Just bake "MORE PIRS OR TARTS"!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann hee..hee..very shy lah... Yes, I will bake more pies and tarts to make my money's worth!

      Delete
  20. Hi Phong Hong,t
    Congratulations for getting the Wilton pie pans! Expensive but so worth it! I think your pie looks gorgeous! Your crust looks really nice and the filling is smooth and perfect! Some pie crust do tend to shrink when bake, so that is quite normal.
    Your pie looks really delicious! And now that you have got yourself some pie pans, I can see some pie, tarts and quiches in the future!!
    I'm still waiting for your bread! kakaka!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! Thank you for your compliments and encouraging words! I need more practice. Problem is I tend to get lazy when it comes to anything other than cakes. hah..hah.. yes, my bread......one day I will surprise you LOL!

      Delete
  21. A very good try though I must say the butter is not evenly mix with the flour because it is difficult to do so using 2 forks instead of your fingers. So for your next attempt at short crust pastry will it be forks or fingers?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mun! I always hear that using fingers will melt the butter faster and will not result in a good pastry. Don't know how true that is and maybe I should just try it out and see for myself.

      Delete
    2. If your fingers are hot and sweaty, the butter will melt quicker, yes.

      Delete
  22. Lovely tart pans...but ouch!!! So expensive. Bet the quality is really good. I use some that my missus had before we got married - but they're all pretty out of shape already, so old. Not ugly leh! Your pie looks really good but I do know of some things that do not look all that nice (like one Horlicks madu kek batek here) but they taste great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Arthur! I need more practice with pastry dough. Yes, the tart pans are of good quality and a good investment - that is if I use them often enough! Am thinking of quiche next :)

      Delete
  23. This is gorgeous! I can't believe it took you so long to find a tart pan!! I can even buy one in my local grocery store!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathleen, I wish I had a grocery store around here just like yours!

      Delete
  24. Expensive tart pan! But worth it. You have made a beautiful pumpkin pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Amy! I must bake more pies :)

      Delete
  25. Hey PH, your baked tart sure looks nice.... so smooth top and the combination of coconut, gula melaka and pumpkin sounds mouthwatering. But wah, your tart pans sure are expensive.... but I guess it's Wilton and it should last you at least 10 years :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Yen! I should re-attempt this pie. Need more practice on the pastry dough.

      Delete
  26. Hi Phong Hong, your wilton brand pie pan a bit expensive but good quality. Don't worry just fully utilize them, I dont mind to eat pie or tarts everyday, haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther! If I ate pie or tarts everyday, I will be as big as my house LOL!

      Delete
  27. hey, your pie looks good ! next time if underbake again, try turning the pie upside down and make a cobbler that is the crust on top and filling at the bottom, put it back to the oven and rebake. I nvr tried but read it from internet :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lena! Thanks for the tip. Knowing how clumsy I am, I might destroy the pie in the process of flipping it upside down LOL!

      Delete
  28. Hi Phong Hong, if when in doubt, you can always pre-bake the crust for abt. 15 min. to give it a head start, then add the filling to bake longer, to finish... otherwise, your tart looks beautiful, and the filling is perfect! Love those tart pans!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elisabeth, thank you for the advice! I will do that when I bake my next pie :)

      Delete
  29. Hi there, hope to see this and any other pies/tarts over at Food on Friday - Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete