Friday 25 July 2014

Bergedil (Potato and Meat Patties)


There were some questions as to what happened to the potatoes that I dug out when I made potato skins. These people are a curious lot aren't they? Of course I did not throw the potato flesh away as that would have been a waste of perfectly good food.

I made them into Bergedil using Sonia's recipe as a guide. 




I did not make the bergedil on the same day but kept the potatoes in the freezer. I know that cooked potatoes and carrots become mushy when frozen. I have frozen them before when I made extra beef stew. To me, the mushiness is acceptable. Not a good mouth feel but edible. I was not certain if the mushy potatoes would be suitable to make bergedil. There's only one way to find out, right?



I mashed the potatoes once they were thawed and mixed them with minced meat, fried shallots, minced Chinese parsley, salt and pepper. Since the mixture was mushy, I added some tapioca flour to bind the mix. I formed them into patties, dipped in beaten egg and fried till golden brown.

The patties tasted pretty good, very much like what a bergedil should taste like. I made 13 all together, ate one (I am on restricted carbo diet) and the rest disappeared very quickly. Now I know what to do with my potatoes should I make potato skins again. I have a feeling it will happen pretty soon. hah..hah..



Please go to Sonia for the proper Bergedil recipe and also check out her methodology for making fried shallots.

I also want to take this opportunity to wish all my Muslim friends and readers


Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Fitri!

Have a wonderful celebration with your family and friends! I'll be taking a short break. See you next week :)





Bergedil (Potato and Meat Patties)
Recipe source : Inspired by Nasi Lemak Lover

Ingredients :
- 150g baked potatoes, mashed (these were my frozen leftover baked potatoes)
- 200g minced meat
- 3 tbsp fried shallots
- 3 tbsp minced Chinese parsley (daun sup)
- 2-3 tbsp tapioca flour (or cornflour, adjust accordingly)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 egg, beaten
- oil for deep frying

Method :

- Mash the potatoes and add minced meat, fried shallots, minced parsley, salt and pepper. Mix until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Add tapioca flour to bind the mixture together.
- Shape into patties and dip in beaten egg.
- Deep fry until golden brown.


Photobucket

This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Jasline of Foodie Baker.

44 comments:

  1. My daughter's favourite! One week off for Raya...and I'm so gonna make these. Thanks for sharing. Yum! Yummmm!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm...I wonder if you have made any already hee..hee...

      Delete
  2. Your bergedil must be delicious! Never crossed my mind even once that the potatoes flesh would be thrown away. Who in their right mind would throw away edible items in good conditions. And yes people who blog hops are very curious people.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mun, I was also thinking of making mashed potatoes with them!

      Delete
  3. Hi Phong Hong.. Ahhh, so you used the potatoes flesh to make these.. Oh, it's called bergedil? I thought begedil, so the correct word is bergedil.. I see this dish everyday in my canteen when I go buy "chap farn", and I always take 2 pieces.. Eh, I thought mashed potatoes are supposed to be mushy? I like mushy wor.. The musshier (is this a word?), the better..Ingredients look simple, I think can do.. Of course outside stalls do not put a lot of minced meat inside, I think none.. Just mashed potatoes and spices..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louiz! There are many variations to the name. Some call it pegedil. The frozen potatoes are mushy as in quite watery. But not really a problem because after adding flour it was ok. Yah, those selling outside don't contain any meat.

      Delete
  4. I will make pegedil when I cook soto ayam. They go together really well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lina! That's really nice. I must cook soto ayam one day :)

      Delete
  5. Hi friend,
    For me you not a "kiam siap" aunty as you always said but is a smart "jimat" auntylah. See! how you pandai pandai use up the potato flesh and turn it into delicious bergedil instead of throw way.
    So....when are you going to make potato skin again, don't forget to let me know, I looking forward to have some pls :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aunty Young! Waste not! I think I put on some weight :( So have to postpone the potato skins project.......

      Delete
  6. It is like one ingredient but out in came for two dishes, isnt it great? With potato skin, one dish, and potato flesh out another dish. Begedil sounds absolute wonderful .... I know I love it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel! I really like it when one ingredient gives me two dishes. Very convenient.

      Delete
  7. I think I never tried this before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chris, you can get it at Malay nasi campur stall sometimes.

      Delete
  8. I loves this, one of my favourite...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Phong Hong,
    Nobody would say no if offered this delicious patties. Looks yummy, a good way of using leftover mashed potaotes!
    Enjoy your break! Have a good one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Joyce! Can't wait to eat them again:)

      Delete
  10. Senang dibuat, sedap dimakan!! hahahaa.. Yes, I would love to do this too... one day.... when there is more sound in my house.... :)
    Selamat Bercuti!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire! Make these for your kids!

      Delete
  11. Hi Phong Hong, yummy ... crisp golden browned! Enjoy your holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Spuds cooked two ways! Brilliant idea PH . I love your potato patties, look scrumptious. Have a nice break.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Veronica! I love potatoes a lot!

      Delete
  13. Your bergedil looks tasty to me....I always "freeze" my food as well...hahaha...may be I have used to the "mushiness" taste.. .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jozelyn! I want to buy a freezer. hah..hah...

      Delete
  14. Another yummy creation from PH's kitchen!

    Happy holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Selamat Raya PH, hehehe!! You have made good use of leftover potato, Thanks for the mentioned. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Selamat Hari Raya, Sonia! I think make bergedil got Hari Raya mood :)

      Delete
  16. Oh why why why Phong Hong do you always makes the things I like? I am salivatinggggggggggggggggggggg!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Diana, want to exchange with your cakes? hee..hee...

      Delete
  17. Hi Phong Hong, I actually wanted to make these for the LTU theme but have to drop it because of my condition. Luckily my GTT was acceptable and I'm not pronounced as diabetic. Now I have to watch my diet. I will make these one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy!I am glad to hear that your GTT is acceptable and you are not diabetic. Just eat less sugary and starchy stuff and I am sure you'll be OK. If you make bergedil, maybe you can add more meat portion and less potatoes.

      Delete
  18. Did you make soto ayam to go with this too? ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen! No, I didn't. I don't know how to make soto ayam ayam yet. hee...hee...

      Delete
  19. Time really flies, I keep telling myself I need to post a potato recipe but keep procrastinating and now it's almost over! I have seen this bergedil at Sonia's too and yours looks just as good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie! I find it hard to keep up with blog events too. But you can always make this bergedil another time.

      Delete
  20. hi phong hong, i hv never eaten a bergedil before..they sounds really good to snack on...enjoy your holidays!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lena! Try bergedil one day. They are delicious!

      Delete
  21. LOL I haven't seen this word bergedil for 10 or 15 years. The last time I saw it being used is in one episode of Under One Roof (old old Singaporean sitcom).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi RealGunners! Actually I had forgotten all about bergedil until I saw it ion Sonia's blog. I'm glad that I got reacquainted with it again :)

    ReplyDelete