Friday 18 March 2016

Honey Soy Roasted Chicken With Vegetables


Last Saturday I marinated two chicken legs with soya sauce, honey and garlic. My intention was to roast the chicken and eat it with a salad. Then on Sunday morning I changed my mind. I am very prone to changing my mind.

I had a few small stalks of leftover celery in the fridge. At the same time, I was gifted with some fresh young baby corn. I wanted to use up these two vegetables and I thought they would be nice roasted with the chicken.


At Aeon, I changed my mind yet again. I went to the salad section hoping to find baby spinach for the salad. Nope, no baby spinach to be found. Then I fell back on the roasted vegetables idea again hah..hah... What a fickle minded auntie I am!


And then I thought, gee...the chicken was marinated with honey. Will that go well with roasted vegetables? Would that be weird? Hello auntie! Who are you cooking for, ah? For me. So what's the issue?


So I went ahead and dumped the vegetables onto a lined baking pan, rubbing them with olive oil and seasoning with salt and pepper. Then I placed the chicken legs in the middle and poured the excess marinade over. I set the oven at 180C to roast for 40 minutes.

Every now and then I basted the chicken with the pan juices and I turned the vegetables for even roasting. They were all nicely done in about 35 minutes. 


I was very pleased with the result because the chicken was beautifully browned and it was tender and succulent. The baby corn maintained its crunch while the celery went all soggy with the leafy parts becoming dry and stringy (overcooked hah...hah...). But that was fine by me as I chewed it away. That's good for roughage, isn't it?

The best part was the garlic. It was toasty and creamy and tasted so good with the chicken and vegetables.

And no, it was not weird at all, the honey marinade. I actually quite liked it with the vegetables. I'm rather glad that I changed my mind. 









Honey Soy Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 2 whole chicken legs

For the marinade :
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 2 cloves garilc, finely minced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil

For the vegetables :
- a few small stalks of celery
- some baby corn
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 bulbs of garlic, cut across into two
- some olive oil, salt and pepper

Method :
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients together.
2. Place chicken legs into a freezer bag and pour marinade into the bag. Squish chicken legs to ensure it is mixed with the marinade.
3. Leave in the fridge overnight or a few hours.
4. Place all vegetables on a roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. 
5. Using your hands, mix the vegetables to make sure that they are evenly coated with the olive oil and seasoning.
6. Place chicken legs in the middle of the baking tray surrounded by the vegetables. Pour excess marinade onto the chicken.
7. Roast at 180C for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is browned and the vegetables are tender.

Note : Baste the chicken every now and then and turn the vegetables for even roasting.


44 comments:

  1. Good morning Phong Hong. Your roasted chicken is beautifully done. Very nice and nicer than mine roasted chicken. Which will be posted next week. This week busy leh... kids want to go for movie and so on. Many things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angeline! I am sure your roasted chicken is just as good if not, better than mine. Important thing is the taste.

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, the roast chicken has a nice browned colour, I love it.. Sometimes I can achieve this colour, sometimes cannot.. I noticed with marinate with honey or oyster sauce, then yes, can achieve.. If marinate with just salt pepper, kikoman and Italian herbs, cannot achieve.. And again, I think depends on the oven temperature.. Old ovens (like mine), turn to 200 degrees, but I think 150 only, not hot enough..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Princess Ribbon, did you baste the chicken every now and then?

      Delete
    2. Mun, yes, I do open the oven door, use a spoon and scoop some gravy/oil onto the chicken to moisten it.. Is this called basting?

      Delete
    3. I think the sugar in honey and also oyster sauce helps in the browning. I have also roasted with just salt, pepper and herbs and the color is very pale. The most important thing is janji sedap.

      Delete
    4. Hi Princess Ribbon, yes, you are right, that is basting. :)

      Delete
  3. So nice the colour, how i wish i could roasted as nice as your's...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where? Where? Show me your roasted chicken.

      Delete
  4. I see that your chicken legs acquired the desired browning....lovely :) It usually does when either honey or soy is used. I cook it at a higher temperature (200C) and it gets done faster (25 - 30 mins)...hehe! And yeah, root vegetables are great for baking and I'd usually throw in some potatoes as well. But, I see a whole bulb of garlic and I've not added that in before. I bet it's great coz it'll be all soft and sweet (must add that in next time).

    I couldn't help but noticed that you said you're cooking that for yourself. Did you eat both the chicken legs in one sitting? Kekeke! None for your partner? ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was about to ask the same question - did you eat both chicken legs all by yourself? ;p

      Delete
    2. hah..hah...One for lunch and one for dinner. He was out that day hee..hee...

      Delete
  5. This perfect auntie just roasted a perfect chicken! Look at its brown colour that matches the styles of Michellin Chefs. Probably you would put the celery to roast during the last 10 mins to get perfect crisps and crunch in future. I love this meal and could only admire & drool online as I know that no one ever gets invited over! Happy weekend and Happy eating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, will take note on the celery. Happy weekend indeed! Yipee!!

      Delete
  6. Such a long time I have not seen this kind of food. I haven't been cooking properly for months I think! JB, CNY, then Europe! Cannot, this weekend must grab some thighs and roast away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, get back into the cooking routine again :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Phong Hong, I like this. One Dish good enough as a meal. The chicken must be finger licking good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! The chicken was very good. This was a complete meal for me.

      Delete
  8. I like the corns... (since I'm not a big fan of chicken) hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  9. Poor celery. I was straining my eyes looking for them in your photo. They are best eaten raw, sweet and crunchy! But like you say, you still get fiber from them to help with bowel movement. Lucky for them that you did not just bin them for looking so pathetic next to the glorious chicken leg.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were quite tasty though soggy and the leaves were very fibrous. Overall, I enjoyed this meal immensely!

      Delete
  10. That looks like the honey chicken my missus had, tomorrow's post...but I am sure yours is even nicer. Nothing beats own homecooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was very good and so easy to roast! Will look out for your post.

      Delete
  11. I am going to buy 2 chicken legs and roast them like you did. I hope they will turn out nicely like yours. Your roast chicken legs look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I am sure your chicken legs will turn out perfectly!

      Delete
  12. hahaha.. i totally understand that!! sometimes not that we are indecisive, but probably due to us being inspired by what we are seeing!! different ingredients give us different ideas, and that proves how creative we are.. agree?? hehehe.. i like your roast chicken, and i can imagine how aromatic and delicious it is marinated with soy sauce and honey.. and you know what attracts me the most?? those roasted garlic cloves!! wow, would be so yummy rubbing them on the chicken itself!! did you do that?? hehe~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much inspiration could be bad hah...hah... Oh yes, the garlic is really delicious. Next time I want to put a few more garlic bulbs in there.

      Delete
  13. Indeed the changing mind dish looks very good leh, PH! I have honey in the fridge.. but then the oven is still in the storeroom.. I think it seems happier inside than outside, the owner might blacken it once again like what I did last time..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...your oven will remain forever clean! My oven was just cleaned recently and I was quite shocked how dirty it was LOL!

      Delete
  14. Hi Phong Hong - what a yummy creation!! It is always useful to find vegetables in your refrigerator to be uses up. Do you know if you wrap your celery in foil it can last for quite awhile in the refrigerator. I usually only need two stalk of celery and most of them are wasted so with this method it save me trip to the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine! Thanks for the tip on keeping celery fresh. Yes, I usually use only a few stalks too and the rest sometimes go bad. But now I know what to do!

      Delete
  15. Thanks for sharing your recipe, a great meal idea whenever I need to cook for one, or sometimes two ;) I am like you, changing plans the whole day, sometimes, I can only decide at the very last minute on what to cook, lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the club! I also have those days when I do last minute changes hah..hah...

      Delete
  16. Phong Hong,
    I'm drooling over these delish golden roasted chicken!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, I hope you have a chance to try roasting this recipe :)

      Delete
  17. Hi Phong Hong, thanks for linking up with LTU. :)

    I love how beautiful this dish is. I'm sure your family members love every bit of chicken and vege on their plate. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! I enjoy using honey, so it was a pleasure :)

      Delete
  18. Hi Phong Hong, Your roasted chicken looks so good and yummy! Definitely want to add this recipe on my cooking list. Thank you for sharing :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann! I am sure you will love this roasted chicken :)

      Delete
  19. Hi Phong Hong (roasted chicken queen :p)

    As always, your roasted chicken looks awesome! We are baking chicken for our bake-along for next 10 days. Want to join us? :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Zoe! Oh yes, I would be happy to join!

      Delete
  20. Beautiful golden roasted skin~

    ReplyDelete