Last Saturday I marinated two chicken legs with soya sauce, honey and garlic. My intention was to roast the chicken and eat it with a salad. Then on Sunday morning I changed my mind. I am very prone to changing my mind.
I had a few small stalks of leftover celery in the fridge. At the same time, I was gifted with some fresh young baby corn. I wanted to use up these two vegetables and I thought they would be nice roasted with the chicken.
At Aeon, I changed my mind yet again. I went to the salad section hoping to find baby spinach for the salad. Nope, no baby spinach to be found. Then I fell back on the roasted vegetables idea again hah..hah... What a fickle minded auntie I am!
And then I thought, gee...the chicken was marinated with honey. Will that go well with roasted vegetables? Would that be weird? Hello auntie! Who are you cooking for, ah? For me. So what's the issue?
So I went ahead and dumped the vegetables onto a lined baking pan, rubbing them with olive oil and seasoning with salt and pepper. Then I placed the chicken legs in the middle and poured the excess marinade over. I set the oven at 180C to roast for 40 minutes.
Every now and then I basted the chicken with the pan juices and I turned the vegetables for even roasting. They were all nicely done in about 35 minutes.
I was very pleased with the result because the chicken was beautifully browned and it was tender and succulent. The baby corn maintained its crunch while the celery went all soggy with the leafy parts becoming dry and stringy (overcooked hah...hah...). But that was fine by me as I chewed it away. That's good for roughage, isn't it?
The best part was the garlic. It was toasty and creamy and tasted so good with the chicken and vegetables.
And no, it was not weird at all, the honey marinade. I actually quite liked it with the vegetables. I'm rather glad that I changed my mind.
Honey Soy Roasted Chicken with Vegetables
Recipe source : Phong Hong
- 2 whole chicken legs
For the marinade :
- 2 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tbsp dark soya sauce
- 2 cloves garilc, finely minced
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the vegetables :
- a few small stalks of celery
- some baby corn
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 carrot, thinly sliced
- 2 bulbs of garlic, cut across into two
- some olive oil, salt and pepper
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients together.
2. Place chicken legs into a freezer bag and pour marinade into the bag. Squish chicken legs to ensure it is mixed with the marinade.
3. Leave in the fridge overnight or a few hours.
4. Place all vegetables on a roasting pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
5. Using your hands, mix the vegetables to make sure that they are evenly coated with the olive oil and seasoning.
6. Place chicken legs in the middle of the baking tray surrounded by the vegetables. Pour excess marinade onto the chicken.
7. Roast at 180C for 35-40 minutes or until chicken is browned and the vegetables are tender.
Note : Baste the chicken every now and then and turn the vegetables for even roasting.