Monday 11 January 2016

Hot and Spicy Chicken Wings


Korean again. This time I decided it was time I opened the Korean chili paste that I bought from Cold Storage. Why? Because I happened to be looking at my blog list and I saw Shannon's Spicy Baked Chicken Wings from 2 months ago. 

When I read Shannon's post, I was amused and delighted to learn that she also loves to chew and gnaw on bones and cartilage. LOL! That is a habit I picked up from my dad.

Some years ago when my molar broke (which led to a root canal, I have been tortured 3 times so far), I had to reveal to my dentist that I liked to crunch on bones. Yeah, that was super embarrassing. The good man shook his head and told me that I have to break that habit. But old habits die hard and I still chew on bones.....


So anyway, back to the chili paste. After I prepared the other marinade ingredients, I opened the packaging and took a sniff. It smelt peculiar. Not like chili.

I mean, I was comparing to the chili paste that I make using dried chilies. That one, one sniff and off you go sneezing like a machine gun. This Korean one is different. Then I had a taste. Geez, it was sweet. And of course it was hot.


Is this the correct thing that I bought? The top label says "Sunchang Gojuchang (Hot Pepper Paste). Then I looked at another label.


Uiks! Hot Pepper Bean Paste? But when I looked at the ingredients, I don't see any beans. Aiyah...what is going on? Then I inspected the packaging again.


Yeah, it clearly says Hot Pepper Paste. So it must be Hot Pepper Paste then. I am on the right track after all. So I proceeded to add a generous tablespoon of the red hot stuff to my marinade. In went the wings and it stayed in the fridge for a good 4 hours or so.


And there you go. All of my 6 wings (separated into drumettes and wingettes). What? Only 6? Enough or not??? I know, you are mortified that I cooked only 6 wings because you know that I can down 12 in a single sitting. Right? I have a reputation, I know.

But I am serious about losing weight. Dead serious. Have you seen any cakes or cookies in my blog lately? None. I have temporarily stopped baking in order to stay on track. That is how serious I am. In keeping with my determination, I am eating smaller portions too. Is it working? Yes. I'll keep you posted on my progress. 


So now you ask, did PH eat all 6 wings in one go? No my lovelies, I did not. I ate only half and I was OK. The other half I kept for my dinner. I am very pleased with myself for such exemplary behavior hah..hah..hah..

Were the wings good? Well, in the beginning I thought the taste of the gochujang was a bit strong (maybe I put too much). It was not a bad thing and after a few bites, I was enjoying the flavors. Yes, this is tasty. Perhaps next time, less is more.









Hot and Spicy Chicken Wings
Recipe source : Adapted from Just As Delish

Ingredients :
- 6 chicken wings, separated into drumettes and wingettes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely crushed (I used a garlic press)
- 1/2 inch ginger, cut into smaller pieces and finely crushed (I used a garlic press)
- 2 tsp sesame oil (I forgot to add this!)
- 1 tablesoon honey
- 1 tablespoon light soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon Korean red chili paste (gochujang)

Method :
1. Mix everything together and leave to marinate in the fridge for about 4 hours.
2. Remove from fridge to come to room temperature before baking.
3. Place drumettes and wingettes in a single layer on a lined baking sheet and bake at 180C for 30 minutes (turning at half time and basting with remaining marinade).

42 comments:

  1. I love baked chicken wings, missus does that quite often. Healthier than fried and just as nice or even nicer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. See your post, i do not know whether if i should go buy the Korean red chilli paste and do it as it's so tempting, but on 2nd thought, i'm a lazy person, should be used one time, then left in the shelf collect dust, keke...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Better don't buy if you are not going to use it often.

      Delete
  3. I bought you are making buffalo wings but it's the same, right ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not the same hah..hah.. Buffalo wings the seasoning is different.

      Delete
  4. Phong Hong cheh cheh....3 wings only, mana cukup??? i see corn syrup in the paste plus honey in your concoction, hows the taste? Korean right, must sprinkle toasted sesame seeds to berkorean-korean ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. cheh cheh need to lose weight mah.... It was quite sweet. I did not know that the chili paste is salty and sweet, so I will have to adjust seasonings for my next batch. Ya lah, must sprinkle sesame seeds. I was too lazy to toast them.

      Delete
  5. Bravo....PH!! Clap! Clap! Clap! One, for baking only 12 wings instead of 6 (can eat 12 in one go....*faints*). Two, for eating 3 wings instead of 6 (I can only eat 3 in one go myself). And three, for making it look so good...like Kyochon Korean spicy fried (red) chicken! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! I have always wanted to try Kyochon's fried chicken and I should one of these days. Then can come home and copy cat the recipe.

      Delete
  6. What's the difference between "I ate half for lunch and half for dinner" with "I ate all"??? Same same one!!

    Me too, I also not baking lately as part of my determination to lose weight (masquerading my laziness in actual)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got difference lah. I am eating smaller portions per meal mah...

      Baking is not good for dieting :(

      Delete
  7. oooh, no wonder, hahaha.. so we will have to wait for a while before we can see some cakes or biscuits or cookies or bread baking in this blog huh?? nvm lah, those cooking are equally interesting to me actually.. :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me lose some weight first hah..hah...

      Delete
  8. the chicken wings looks sexy!! hmmm, so it's those Korean chili paste, i supposed they have added in a lot of other ingredients.. and i am surprise to see rice in the ingredients, hmmm, maybe that is something that adds to the kick?? and orion?? i supposed it's onion, hehe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised lah that the chili paste got salty and sweet taste. I thought that it was just plain chili paste. Then I realized that this is the same chili paste that they serve with bibimbap.

      Delete
  9. frankly, i have no problems walloping all those chicken wings in one sitting, they are not actually a lot huh?? and also because they really look very appetising, and i guess the coating alone is very good to go with rice.. looks like the skin is crunchy too, and i can imagine sinking my teeth into the wings, aiyoyo, first the crispy skin gives a slight bounce, and then the coating wraps around, the juice of the chicken spurts and finally the tender meat slip through~~ i want this!!! :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually 6 wings is not a lot lah. I could have eaten all in one go but must learn to discipline mah, right or not? Yes, the wings were slightly crispy on the outside and very juicy inside. Very delicious!

      Delete
  10. Ok, this I can try since I always have gochujang stocked. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah you also peminat Korean chili paste :)

      Delete
  11. Your chicken wings look so much better than those from pizza hut. Ah, everyone is on diet to prepare for CNY so that they can snack on CNY goodies, is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...on diet so that they can fit into their new clothes and look good :D

      Delete
    2. When buy new clothes, just buy bigger size lah. ;p

      Delete
  12. I love baked chicken.. less oil and fats... can wallop them all at one go! Ok, maybe like you, two go-s!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too love baked chicken. It's less hassle compared to frying.

      Delete
  13. Hi Phong Hong, yummy, yummy, yummy. Was telling my hubby that we need to cut down on meat intake cos' of the coming CNY and also we have ate too much during last November/December period. How can we resist these home-baked chicken wings? They are sure much better than those served at the buffet table. I attended a wedding dinner last Friday. Do you believe that all the courses served we cold. The longan dessert was even warmer than the chicken soup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! CNY is coming soon and there will be plenty of eating! Oh dear, too bad the food was cold. Perhaps the caterer couldn't cope with so many dishes and since most are prepped in advance, they got cold. I had the same experience at a Japanese buffet. Even the deep fried foods were cold!

      Delete
  14. 6 for me is not enough lo, hehehee :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually also not enough for me hee..hee...

      Delete
  15. Bravo Phong Hong! If it's me I'll just finish them all haha. I love cooking with gochujang, it's so versatile! I've not tried using them in chicken wings, definitely something to try soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jaseline hah..hah... Yes, do try the gochujang with wings. They are really good.

      Delete
  16. Yes! I love chicken wings and your baked chicken wings look so delicious. I am also trying to lose weight so it is a relief that you are not posting tempting cakes and cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... We must support each other's diet plan!

      Delete
  17. Saw you in Nancy Chan's blog.

    I do hope you be successful in losing weight. Indeed, less is more. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. An Yeong Ha Say Yo!! I would have believed you if you said that plate of wings were from Kyochon's! I always eat there often and could see both the identical Korean colours & texture in your plate! There is nothing that Phong Hong cannot fry or bake! Incredible Kitchen Diva!

    So there should be nothing that can stop Phong Hong from losing weight. Are you sure you are fat?? No photos, no proof and could only be your wild imaginations. Muahahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No need proof lah, take my word for it. If I am successful, I won't be fat anymore :D

      Delete
  19. These wings certainly look good! I love Korean wings too, but never thought of making them at home. This is so brilliant, dear! xoxo

    ReplyDelete