I am not saying that this Peri-Peri Chicken is the same as the one served at a fast food outlet. But what I will honestly say is that, when I tried their Peri-Peri chicken, I didn't get it. I could not appreciate the flavors. I must have left my taste buds at home.
After that maiden trip, I have since eaten at the outlet another one or 2 times. Again, the flavors did not make an impression on me. I am not saying that it is not good, it is just a matter of my own taste.
So when I came across this Easy Grilled Peri-Peri Chicken, I was quite keen to try only because it looked so good hah..hah... I can't even remember what the other chicken tasted like to make a comparison. But there is no need to compare. This one is way better.
The marinade is made up of smoked paprika, chilli powder, lemon juice, garlic, ginger and salt. Very basic. And best of all, I had all the ingredients on hand.
I used one whole chicken and I even took the trouble to place the chicken on a wire rack to grill. Yup, I dreaded the cleaning up but as it turns out, it was quite easy to clean.
The smell of the smoked paprika was awesome and this Peri-Peri chicken rocks! If you are like me, not impressed with the chicken you ate at the fast food outlet, try this.
Recipe source : Adapted from The Domestic Goddess Wannabe
- 1 whole chicken, butterflied
- 4 tbsp smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp Cayenne powder (chilli powder)
- Juice from one lemon
- 4 cloves garlic, finely crushed (I used a garlic crush)
- 1 thumb sized ginger, finely crushed (I used garlic crush)
- 2 tsp sea salt
- Mix smoked paprika, Cayenne powder, lemon juice, garlic, ginger and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Place chicken into freezer bag and pour marinade into the bag.
- Squish the bag to distribute the marinade evenly obver the chicken.
- Leave to marinate in the fridge overnight.
- Before grilling, bring the chicken to room temperature.
- Place chicken on a wire rack over a lined baking tray.
- Grill at 180C for 45 minutes until chicken is cooked.