Thursday 18 October 2012

Terengganu Lor Mee (Noodles with Gravy)


Lor Mee is another one of my grandmother's specialities. It is basically yellow noodles with a thick gravy made with sliced pork, prawns and crabmeat and garnished with cucumbers, beansprouts and fried shallots. And it is accompanied with a chilli sauce made with fresh chillies, shallots, garlic, sugar and vinegar.

The only hard work involved in making the gravy is peeling the prawns and yikes...the crabs. These days we are a lucky lot because frozen crabmeat is available in most supermarkets. And so are the prawns. However, do refrain from using the frozen prawns because you do need the prawns shells and heads to make the soup stock.

A tip I learnt from my Aunt is to make the gravy a bit thicker or else it will become watered down once added to the noodles as the vegetables will bleed water and dilute it.

I don't have exact measurements for the recipe below but will give you my best estimates :)










 Lor Mee

Ingredients :
- Yellow noodles (blanched and drained)

For the gravy
- 1 pork belly
- 30 prawns (shelled and keep shells and heads to make stock)
- 300g crab meat 
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed and finely diced
- salt to taste
- sugar to taste
- light soya sauce to taste
- Kayciap or Sweet Soya Sauce/ABC Sauce for colour
- About 1 litre water (adjust for consistency of gravy, can use more or less)
- 1 tablespoon Tapioca flour mixed with a little bit of water to make a paste to thicken the gravy
- Cooking oil

For chilli sauce
- 5 red chillies
- 3 shallots
- 1 clove garlic
- Vinegar
- Salt and sugar to taste
- kayciap or kicap manis (optional)

For garnishing :
- 10 shallots, peeled, sliced and fried until golden brown
- Cucumber and beansprouts

Method :
For the gravy
- Boil pork belly until 3/4 cooked, slice and set aside.
- Bring water in a pot to boil and put in all the prawn shells. Boil for about 45 minutes.
- Strain the soup stock and set aside.
- In a pot, heat oil and saute garlic or a few seconds.
- Add sliced pork belly and fry for about 5 minutes.
- Add prawns and fry until cooked
- Add crab meat and pour the strained stock into the pot.
- Bring to a boil and then lower the heat to a simmer.
- Add soya sauce, kayciap/sweet soya sauce, salt and sugar to taste.
- In a small bowl mix the tapioca flour with water to make a paste.
- Bring gravy to a boil and add the tapioca flour. Stir to thicken the gravy. If it is not thick enough, add more tapioca flour.
- Remove from heat.

For the chilli sauce :
- pound the chillies, shallots and garlic (need not be too fine)
- add vinegar, salt and sugar to taste.
- can also add some kayciap or kicap manis for extra oomph!

To serve :
- put noodles into a serving bowl.
- add gravy and garnish with cucumbers, beansprouts and fried shallots.
- eat with chilli sauce.


The gravy.

All the components of the delicious Lor Mee.

The very addictive chilli sauce. This one is without the kayciap/kicap manis.
A satisfying meal.

I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest, Terengganu Month hosted by Lena of frozen wings.


39 comments:

  1. Earlier I thought I could have something to cook to join in the Terengganu food feat but I can't think of any Terengganu specialty other than the roti paun. Guess I still have much to learn about of our country and state food. I loves lor mee but this got to eat it while it still hot or else it is like so glueee. I really would like to give you a pat on your shoulder for educating us of the food from Terengganu.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your support, Mel! The lor mee gravy is not so gluee if you put less tapica starch. But I find that when I add the cucumbers and beansprouts, water from the vege tend to make the gravy more diluted so I prefer to make the gravy a bit thicker :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds so delicious, just like your Kay hong.....will try this.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds so delicious, just like your Kay hong.....will try this.
    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, the gravy is very flavourful due to the prawns and crabs. Yes, please try it!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks, dear! Will check out your menu in a bit.

      Delete
  5. oh, love lor mee..i like to order the lor mee when i go to one particular coffee shop here but most of the time i take lo shu fun. Very special terengganu style lor mee that comes with crab meat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, the TGG lor mee is very different from west coast. I prefer the TGG one hee..hee..

      Delete
  6. This dish looks simple to prepare! Hopefully can try this soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peng, it is easy. Just need to be rajin a bit to peel teh prawns :)

      Delete
  7. Oh, please pass me a big bowl, I prefer to eat "lor mee" than soup noodles as I can finish them faster, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't forget to reserve a bowl for me too:D So much condiments! You'll go bankrupt if you are selling this lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannie, hah..hah...I got a bit carried away. Sure, will reserve one bowl for you, extra condiments ok?

      Delete
  9. the type of food I like but due to my husband's preferences I cannot cook it everyday:)
    Blog about life and travelling
    Blog about cooking

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ola, enjoy it on the days that you can :)

      Delete
  10. I am drooling already just looking at your Lor Mee. Must be very delicious. Wish I am your neighbour, Phong Hong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica, it is delicious. If you were my neighbour, I'll share some with you!

      Delete
  11. Aiyoo, lor mee pun ada Teregganu style, lagi apa ada Terengganu style lagi, hahaha ..Quite difference from Hokkien lor me but similar like Hailan mee..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, Terengganu style came out earlier than Gangnam style hee..hee...hee....Wait lah, got some more coming :)

      Delete
  12. PH, I have a deep connection with Lor Mee and my Ah Ma. If you have read my self-introduction page on my blog, you would have known how my grandma took care of me when my mum passed away and I grew up helping out at my grandma's Lor Mee stall. As such, I simply LOVE Lor Mee!

    Your version is slightly different from the Lor Mee I am familiar with but it still looks good. Any fat yellow noodle with thick gravy and lots of fried shallot makes me a very happy man. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I did read your intro. It made me feel sad. I also spent my early years being brought up by grandma and grandpa. So, have you cooked lor mee? If not, why not give it a go and bring back childhood memories :)

      Delete
  13. Phong Hong, I love this lor mee very very much... Your lor mee reminds me a lot of my home town. It looks soooooo yummy! Thanks for sharing. I keep this in my list to do already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Li Shuan, I am looking forwards to your lor mee post :)

      Delete
  14. Drooling!!! Absolutely Love this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice, PH :) something homey and comforting, hope to try making this this weekend or so. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Esther, if you cook this, do submit to Lena :) Would be nice to see your version.

      Delete
  16. Interestingly different from those that I have had. Would love to try this one... I have a soft spot for noodles...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur, you must try it then. I think you and your missus would love this version a lot :)

      Delete
  17. Looks so delicious! I have not eaten lor mee for ages! More taugeh for me please!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, I love having more taugeh too! On second thoughts I should have gone easy on the taugeh and cucumbers when taking the photo. Should have shown more prawns and noodles :)

      Delete
  18. Hi Phong Hong,your lor mee look so delicious. Can make mine with extra taugeh and chilli sauce? Thank you.

    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, can, can! Can tambah more ingredients for you :)

      Delete
  19. Mmmmm....I love Asian noodle dishes and this looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lizzy! If you tried this, I kinda have a feeling you will love it :)

      Delete
  20. oh so, TGG's version is with crab meat, very luxurious leh!

    ReplyDelete