Wednesday 10 October 2012

Bentng (Three Layer Egg Custard Cake)


I don't know what Bentng means or why this is called Bentng. It is made from only 3 main ingredients - eggs, coconut milk and sugar. Of course there is a little bit of flour to bind the custard and pandan juice for fragrance and coloring. In terms of taste, imagine how kaya (coconut jam) tastes like. It is very similar tasting as the ingredients are the same as kaya. And the texture is soft and smooth. Totally yummy!



As far as measurements are concerned, it is pretty simple too. One bowl of eggs, one bowl of sugar and one bowl of coconut milk. To cut down on sugar, my Aunt reduces it to three quarters of a bowl. You could cut down more if you like.



The Bentng sold in town these days are not as tasty as the ones I used to eat when I was a child. This is due to cost cutting whereby the vendors use less eggs and more flour. So it would be more worthwhile to make Bentng at home. 




This recipe was given to me by my Aunt and I was very fortunate to learn the method from her a few months ago.

Bentng (Three Layer Egg Custard Cake)

Ingredients :
- 1 bowl eggs
- 1 bowl coconut milk
- 1 bowl sugar (I scaled this to 1/2 bowl)
- 4 tablespoons flour (see notes below)
- 7 to 8 pandan leaves blended in some water to extract juice
- some yellow coloring (optional)
- some green coloring (optional)

Method :
- Beat eggs and gradually add sugar while beating.
- Beat until sugar dissolves.
- Add coconut milk and stir to evenly mix the batter.
- Add flour and mix.
- Strain the batter and divide into 3 equal portions.
- For the green batter, add 1 teaspoon of flour into the pandan juice first (I forgot to do this step) and then add to the batter and stir. You can add a bit of green coloring to get a more intense color.
- Add a bit of yellow coloring to the other two bowls of batter (if using coloring).
- Oil the baking pan and pour in the first layer of yellow batter. Steam for about 10-12 minutes
- When the yellow batter is almost firm, gently pour in the green batter and steam for about 10-12 minutes.
- Repeat with the last yellow batter.
- When to batter is fully cooked, remove pan from steamer and cool.
- Cut into diagonal shape and serve.
- May be chilled in the fridge before serving.

Notes :
- the bowl I used is about 200ml in volume each.
- you need to adjust the amount of flour according to the volume of the batter. In my case, if I use a bigger bowl, I would most likely add another 1 or 2 tablespoons of flour. Don't put too much flour or else the kuih will be hard.
- before pouring in the 2nd batter, ensure that the first layer is almost firm. If you pour in too early before it firms up, the batter will bleed into each other (see photo below). And if you wait too long until the batter is fully cooked, then the layers won't stick together and will separate when you slice the kuih.
- there is no necessity to use coloring. It is just to intensify the color as natural pandan will give you a very light green and the yellow of the eggs will depend on the intensity of the yolk's color.
- if you use a removable bottom or springform pan, it would be easier to remove the kuih.

I was impatient and poured the yellow batter too soon. The green batter bled into it :(

This batch is better but still there were some green spots.

This is how it looks like in the pan. Quite messy, I will use removable bottom or springform next time.

This kuih is also nice eaten cold from the fridge.

I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest, Terengganu Month hosted by Lena of frozen wings.


44 comments:

  1. so many batches ....siapo yang tukang makang?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mek hok tukang masok lah, siape lagi? Nok bagi oghang takok tok sedak :)

      Delete
  2. It sure look yummy though. I loves to eat kuih once in awhile but I am not good in making kuih. Sometimes I am impatient too this is why the cakes end ups not pretty and failure. I really wish I could have a piece of your kuih now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, this kuih is easy to make except that it is tricky when adding the layers. Your cakes look very good to me :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Phong Hong, I think this kuih texture is similar to the Nyonya kuih which we called as Kuih Bingka [usually in white, purple or brown and with a baked crust]. I cannot remember when was the last time I have made this kuih. Very tasty and yummy..and the colour is so sweet and delicate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, kuih bingka is the one that is baked, right? I also love kuih bingka. The texture of this bentng is softer compared to kuih bingka.

      Delete
  4. Phong Hong, not to say what does it mean, I even have problem to pronouce it without an "o" in between, hahaha! You have done such a great time in steaming the kuih. I tell you huh, steaming is my weakness, sometimes, I can do it well but sometimes, hai! And the kuih looks so smooth, ok ok, after all this talk talk talk, please share one with me in exchange with my dessert, ok?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Hah! This is how to pronounce : say "bent" and "ng", then say it together on one smooth word "bentng" arrr like that....I was quiet kancheong when steaming, kept opening the cover and checking. Haiya! Like taking forever! Sure, we can share, share, anytime :)

      Delete
  5. Phong Hong,I like the texture of this kuih. It is so yummy. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Veronica, the texture is very smooth and creamy. You will like this kuih!

      Delete
  6. This looks so good! Creamy and has coconut milk! Can you see me drooling? Despite the fact I make more western treats, our local kuih or cakes does have a soft spot in my heart ;). xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo! You will fall in love with this kuih, I guarantee!

      Delete
  7. Hi Phong Hong, this kuih look lovely and the texture is so silky smooth. Have not eaten his but it look extremely good. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    Have a nice week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Amelia! I hope you will try this because I know you will love the taste. Your bear-bears will love this to hah! hah! hah!

      Delete
  8. OMG, looks so yummy. Must try...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Azie! Yah, you must cuba buat!

      Delete
  9. gorgeous to look at… and gorgeous to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yellow & green...nice color :)
    For me, when I do steam cake , I always lined the pan with aluminium floil.The aluminium floil must higher than the pan then I can easily move he cake out from the pan and cut into pieces :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cindy, thanks for the tip! I will do that next time and my cake will come out better looking :)

      Delete
  11. I imagine its like eating kaya cake?! I love kaya, so this would be quite nice to try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, something like that. If you love the taste and smell of kaya, you will love this :)

      Delete
  12. hi phong hong, yes it looks really smooth and if tastes like kaya, i believe it's really fragrant. would really love to have a piece to sample!! thanks so much for your entry again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, it is very smooth and yummy. Try it!

      Delete
  13. The kid in me loves multi-layered custard desserts. This one sounds so good. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nancy, me too! Somehow the layers make it look more exciting :)

      Delete
  14. I've never seen a layered custard like this! So pretty...and certainly yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks so good. What flour you used? Not the green bean or whatever flour sold in cylindrical tubes wrapped in white paper with everything printed on it? I must try this some time...but all in one colour only - I'm so lazy... LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur, I used ordinary flour. Ah, there is another kuih that uses green bean flour. If I have time, I will put that up too. Yeah, go ahead with just one color, it will taste just as good!

      Delete
  16. Hi Phong Hong,

    Your post did remind me of my younger days eating all the cold custard and agar agar in the warm tropical weather...

    I would imagine that your custard will be a priceless enjoyment :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Zoe! You can recreate this at home and I know you will :)

      Delete
  17. I don't think I've eaten this before but as it's made with kaya ingredients, yummm.....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheah, exactly, it is yummmmmmmy!!!!! If I have this kueh around, I can't stop eating it :)

      Delete
  18. I love kaya and I am sure I will love this kuih too, especially chilled. Thanks for sharing Phong Hong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome, Veronica! Every time my aunt makes this, it will all be gone with no leftovers :)

      Delete
  19. Looks yummy! This is similar to the top layer of pulut serimuka but yours is a softer version as it uses less flour! Would be lovely if I could have a few slices,(one is definitely not enough)!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joyce, once you eat one slice, you will reach out for more. That's what happens to me :) Try it, its really simple to make!

      Delete
  20. How is this cute, I don't understand? I'd call it delicious! Sounds simple enough for me not to screw up .. again. I can't seem to work with the local kuihs. I definitely will try this one but with a smaller recipe ... just in case :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ping, my bentng was so astounding, that words simply cannot describe. Hence for want of a better word, "cute" came to mind :) Hey, I like cute! Now you try this, Ping. No failure, except that you might mess up the colors if you are not careful, thats all. Good luck!

      Delete
  21. PH,
    Thanks for kongsi recipe kuih Banteng.
    I've been seaching for banteng recipe & method of baking this elusive recipe for ages. Will give it a try this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joanne! Good luck with the recipe. This is one of my fav Terengganu kueh :)

      Delete