Monday 29 October 2012

Terengganu Akok


What can I say about Akok? I love it! When I pop one into my mouth, there is no stopping at just one. It is that delicious. Not very good for the waistline, only to be indulged once in a while, unless you are one of those highly controlled people who can eat one or two and then stop. Not me, I am obsessive compulsive and when it comes to eating, my compulsion sky rockets :)

Akok is not difficult to make. After all, there are only 3 main ingredients, eggs, sugar and santan. And the only measuring device is a bowl as you need equal proportions of the 3 ingredients. Your biggest problem would probably be getting the Akok mould. But never fear, the paniyaram pan is here. As I mentioned in this post, the paniyaram pan was the perfect solution.



But I must say that the old method of cooking on hot charcoal is still the best in bringing out that special aroma that cannot be replicated on a stove. But no matter, the Akok would still wow you over and you would not be complaining over that little difference.

The recipe below comes from my Aunt's recipe scrapbook book with my adaptations in red.










Terengganu Akok

Ingredients
- 1 bowl thick coconut milk (I just used one 200ml packet santan)
- 1 bowl eggs (Mine was 7 eggs)
- 1 bowl sugar (I reduced to half a bowl)
- 2 tablespoons rice flour

Note : My bowls were 250ml in volume

Method
- Mix rice flour with some santan and sieve the mixture into the santan (this is to facilitate even mixing of the flour into the batter).
- Beat eggs and gradually add sugar and beat until sugar dissolves completely.
- Add santan to the egg mixture and mix well.
- Sieve the batter.
- Oil mould and heat over low flame on the stove.
- When mould is sufficiently hot, pour in batter and cover.
- Cook for about 8 to 10 minutes and when the top of Akok is firm, flip Akok over to cook for another 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from mould to cool.

These are some of the steps I recorded :


Use measuring cup to pour batter. It's very neat and easy.
I covered using an existing saucepan cover. It didn't fit exactly but it was good enough. Excuse the mess on the stove, pretend it's not there.
I flipped them over after about 8 minutes to cook the other side of the Akok.
Ready to eat!


I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest, Terengganu Month hosted by Lena of frozen wings.

36 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks, Love! They are delicious, thanks to the Indian paniyaram pan.

      Delete
  2. Hi Phong Hong
    I believe this is yet another great and delicious recipe from you. Yes I would like to try this one out one day and like you said the problem would have is to get the mould pan. How much roughly the pan cost? I wish I can try one akok now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel, the pan cost RM60 something before discount. The bigger one is about RM100 plus. It was worth buying the pan! I know you will sure love Akok. Guarantee!

      Delete
  3. Lovely traditional kueh! I am enriched with all the traditional yummies from Terengganu! Anything with santan would indeed be good, forget about the waistline! Wear sarung, remember?? hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! Oh yes, wear sarung! LOL! If I continue eating like mad then I have to permanently wear sarung for good :)

      Delete
  4. Phong Hong Wow-wow your akok looks so yummy you make me feel so hungry.Lain kali bela buat lagi boleh kasi aku satu bakul makang.Pandai mu ni buat kuih kuih trengganu tengok saga tok boleh makang.pugok aku sekagan kerit kerok.taip taip kali I tengok Blog you I selalu gasa lapor.Next boleh dok buat Trengganu punga Payeh sedak makang tapi tok pandai buat.Tema kasek Pang Pooi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. EE, alamak aku tok tahu buak Paih. Your recipe book takde this one lah. Next time must discuss with you because some of your handwriting macam doctor, aku tok boleh baca :)

      Delete
  5. Looks like something my mum used to make but I think she deep-fried them...no chuan needed. Our teatime favourite during our younger days... Too bad nobody makes them anymore. Sobssss!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur, another old kueh gone extinct? Never fear, try this one. You will like it :)

      Delete
  6. another delicious looking thing....do you think it will work on small muffin tins and chuck in the oven? All I want for Christmas is....errrr...making keh-nui kueh or not, tupak & serunding, kong tau-yew ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I think it will work. Cindy of Yummylittlecooks did hers in a normal muffin pan in the oven. But the akok sort of puffed up a lot in the oven and deflated when taken out. So a small muffin pan could be better. Try it and let me know :) On, I also want to make kay nui kueh but my Aunt's recipe is in katis and tahils and use 13 eggs. Must do conversion first.

      Delete
    2. satu kati = enam ratus gram la...no excuse...u gonna beat with hand or machine? can you remember da elderly lady selling kay nui kueh each Friday in Cerung Lanjut?

      Delete
    3. I can't remember her but I remember how much I love kay nui kueh. Oh, beat by hand very tired lah....Thanks for the conversion. I try and if jadi, I put on the blog :)

      Delete
  7. Hi Phong Hong,

    OMG.. Akok & the sweetness.. my GI could jump very high... Sikit2 ok la kan... Love your new pan la... Should get one for myself also..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ogypep! Hope you are feeling better. Ya lah, you cannot eat akok yet because it is sweet. Biar sihat dulu, ok? Yah, you should get that pan. It is very useful and very good quality.

      Delete
  8. Is this anything like apom balik? Not the indian apom ... apom balik in Penang. Sometimes they put some banana slices in between and fold into halves.
    I gotta get that pan. Tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ping, it's not the same. Yeah, get that pan. It's really good and you can make akok. You will love it :)

      Delete
  9. Where you got this pan?tak boleh tahan tengok new kitchen items,hahaha ..Ini makan dengan kopi O, sure sedap!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, I got it from Jusco. During sale some more hah! hah!

      Delete
  10. hi phong hong, nice one! if all of us come to your house, i think you got to prepare many trays of this! eat non stop..wah very dangerous to the waistline indeed..haha..then our body shape will also look like akok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lena! Ya lah, must make a lot if not yo all tak cukup makan. Hah! Hah! I don't want to look like akok :)

      Delete
  11. I went to jusco today and saw this pan, and thought of you straightaway haha. Tis akok looks very tempting, like a small apom balik. Mini sizes are dangerous for us adults, but a good id to get the kids eating. Wuld be nice to make as picnic or party food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, you must try this akok. Very nice to eat, I thinks your kids will love it. My Aunt told me when her kids were small, she used to make and they would eat as soon as the akok came out of the mould. In the end, no akok left!

      Delete
  12. wow...! this looks so yummy! I will love to try this out :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jane, I hope you try it because it is very sedap!

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. Thanks, dear! Oh, I love tortilla, will check it out :)

      Delete
  14. Hi Phong Hong, I missed the train, sorry I'm late in dropping by. Guess your akok habis already. Don't remember eating this kuih but yours look so good. The pan look interesting, where can I get this pan?

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amelia, habis liao :) You can get this pan at Jusco. If you buy the pan, I suggest you make akok. It is very yummy and you will like it.

      Delete
    2. Hi Phong Hong, thanks for the info, will look for it when I next go Jusco. Only 5 mins drive from my house. Actually no good always burn a hole in my pocket. hahaha

      Delete
  15. Hi Phong Hong,
    This Akok looks very interesting. Was wondering how does this taste?
    Is it like 'bee hoon kueh' hee hee
    Love the combined taste of rice flour, egg and santan ^^

    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mui Mui! I have not tasted "bee hoon kueh" hee..hee... If you like kaya, then you will like akok. The taste is lebih kurang. Akok is like a firm custard and because of the browning in the pan, the aroma is fantastic.

      Delete
  16. is it the same as the nyonya apom berkuah? looks similar. was gonna try this tonite but realised it's too dark to steal the neighbour's pandan leaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! No, it is not the same. But do try it because it is delicious! I thought it is better to steal when it is dark :)

      Delete