Friday 17 April 2015

Orange Cheesecake


I baked this cheesecake so that I could use up the remaining half of the chocolate sponge cake the first time I made Peanut Butter Banana Cake.


Besides, there was quite a bit of ganache leftover and that served as the cake topping. By itself, the cake looked so plain.



The sponge cake could not fill up the 8" cake pan due to shrinkage. And as I mentioned before in an earlier post,there was a gap between the cake and the pan which meant that the cheesecake filling would spillover into the gap.



That's when some chocolate biscuits came in handy and I crushed them and lined the base of the pan. Problem solved! This cheesecake filling uses the egg separation method which yields a lighter texture.


To make the plain looking cake look fierce, I drizzled ganache all over it and sprinkled the top with chopped up Godiva chocolates. Whoever gave me the expensive chocolates would not be too happy.


I liked the soft texture of the cheesecake and the sponge cake made a good base. There was this nice melt-in-your-mouth feeling which was really nice. But the orange flavour was a bit strong for me. Perhaps some chocolate in the filling would have made it better. Or I should reduce the amount of orange zest. As they say, too much of a good thing can be bad.










Orange Cheesecake
Recipe source : Baking Code (page 58)
(My adaptations in red)

Ingredients :
- Prepare a 23cm chocolate sponge layer, 2cm in thickness.
(I used half of one 8" chocolate sponge cake)

Ingredients A
- 250g cream cheese
- 20g sugar
- zest of 1 orange (I would use half in future as I found it too strong)

Ingredient B
- 3 egg yolks

Ingredient C
- 30g orange juice (I used juice from 1 orange)
- 80g sour cream (I used 1 tub 135g Greek Yogurt)

Ingredient D
- 25g plain flour

Ingredient E
- 3 egg whites
- 55g sugar

Method :
1. Grease and line a sides and bottom of a 23cm round mould (I used 8" pan). Line the base with greaseproof paper. Wrap the outside of the mould with aluminium foil (I used 3 layers of heavy duty aluminum foil)
2. Cream ingredients A until light. Add ingredients B, cream until smooth.
3. Add in ingredients C, cream well until well blended. Add in ingredients D, mix until well combined.
4. Whip ingredients E until the soft peak stage.
5. Mix the whipped egg white with the above cheese mixture until well incorporated.
6. Place a layer of sponge at the bottom of the mould. Pour the cheese mixture over the cake. (I used 130g of crushed chocolate digestive biscuits mixed with 60g of melted butter to line the bottom of the pan before placing the sponge on top).
7. Bake in water bath at 160C for 1 hour (My cake was baked at 140C and was done after 50 minutes)





This post is also linked to Cook-Your-Books #22 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.

50 comments:

  1. I always think orange and chocolate go very well together.. And now got cheese somemore.. Orange cheesecake with chocolate topping, ooooo, fierce, I like! Ohhh they are Godiva chocolates? Look like nuts at first.. Oooo if I have Godiva chocolates, I'd munch on them one by one in front of the tv jor, hehe.. Your cake looks so so good, no need say la, I cam finish the whole cake, no need ganache, no need chopped chocolates also can..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, orange and chocolate go hand in hand. I think next time I will make half chocolate and half orange batter and swirl it. That way it will taste better.

      Delete
  2. at first glance, I would not have thought that is an orange cheesecake.. and when I saw the title orange cheesecake, I did not expect to see something like this, haha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Didn't see orange that's why. But the taste is orange :)

      Delete
  3. okay, I was actually expecting something just very simple and orangey and of course probably with two slices of oranges on top as decor.. but hey, I guess you are more creative and not commonly mainstream so you did not do what I have in mind.. muahaha, forgive this "tau makan aje" baking novice, or shall I say "baking dumb", hehehe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't think of decorating with orange wedges. Yeah, it would have been nice but too lazy to peel the membrane.

      Delete
  4. first of all I was very excited to see the topping, I love how you drizzle the chocolate on top, really looks like a piece of art.. though it's just kind of random but random also need skills to make it looks nice and professional right?? haha..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just simply hentam drizzle here and drizzle there. The result was not bad hee..hee...

      Delete
  5. okay, you call it ganache and I call it chocolate, you see the difference between us?? muahaha.. anyway, crushed GODIVA chocolate truffles on top!!! aiyoh, even not savoring the cotton-like cheesecake, the chocolates are already to die for.. me jakun lah, have never had Godiva chocolate before leh..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a gift that's why lah got Godiva chocolate. This auntie will not spend money to buy expensive chocolates :)

      Delete
  6. okay back to the cake, orange and chocolate is always a good combination.. I love the richness of chocolates and with the hint of the orangey zest, it surely tastes like heaven!! okay, now the moment of truth, did you walloped the whole cake on your own, or probably you just had 8/10 of it and left 2/10 for your partner?? muahahaha xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time, I will mix chocolate into the batter. That way there will be more chocolaty and orangey flavour. Aiyo, no lah. I ate only one slice and the rest I gave away. My partner doesn't eat cheesecake.

      Delete
  7. Hi Phong Hong. Nampaknya macam you dah 'insaf' from dieting ke? Hahahaha... But your cake sure looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I belum bertaubat lagi, Mama. hee..hee..

      Delete
  8. The chocolate drizzle is a work of art....and then Godiva chocolates on top....ooh..la...la! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you! I just simply drizzled it all over and I quite like the result :)

      Delete
  9. Orange juice is rich in vitamin C, and digestive biscuits are rich in fiber. Okay lah, your cake is a healthy cake! XD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for making up the excuses for me hah..hah..hah...

      Delete
  10. Hi Phong Hong,
    You are the queen of cheesecakes! Haha! Your cheesecake looks divine! Absolutely mouth watering!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyce! I love cheesecakes!

      Delete
  11. Phong Hong,
    I'm with Joyce, all your cheesecakes are so delish. This orange & chocolate cheesecake definitely paired well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen! Cheesecakes are so easy to bake.

      Delete
  12. Hi Phong Hong, this cheesecake looks so amazing and delicious! Orange chocolate is a delicious combination and you've paired it really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jasline! It would be better with more chocolate in the batter.

      Delete
  13. I am so impressed with your design on top of the cheesecake. It looks like those European mosaics on the historical windows! I had never tasted orange flavour. *Hint *Hint

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TM, it was simply random drizzling of chocolate and somehow it turned out quite nice :)

      Delete
  14. You're sure you're not into this professionally? It sure looks good...though I am not into this kind of cheesecakes, too rich for me. I'd go for the lighter Japanese cotton ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, not into this professionally. I take it as a compliment that you asked again hee..hee..

      Delete
  15. This cake with its decoration really look fantastic! You can really start taking in orders for your cakes or maybe start a coffee corner.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like the topping of this cheesecake, rustic!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Phong Hong, Your cheesecake looks beautiful with the chocolate topping. Sounds very delicious too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. The topping decorations is unique!
    Really wanna make use of my oven but too bad, just too lazy now~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hayley, you have many things to do first especially now that your baby is arriving soon!

      Delete
  19. Yummy.... I want to go cakes and coffee later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go ahead, Chris! I am sure you have burnt lots of calories from your training :)

      Delete
  20. So delicious and looks so pretty. May I order a cake from you? Reading your cake makes me want to eat cake and SR cakes are not as good as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mun, you are too generous with your compliments lah. hee..hee.. I happen to like SR cakes a lot :D

      Delete
  21. Looks gorgeous and decadent and oh so sinful! I thought you are on a diet? lol !

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness!!! That is so tempting... Yes, like mun, I want to order too.. but I know I wont have a chance... too far away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, I don't dare to sell anyway hah..hah...

      Delete
  23. Hi Phong Hong,

    I reckon that you set very high standard for your bakes... I think that the cake itself can be nice or maybe it is just an excuse for you to eat the cake with chocolate :p

    Having said that, I'm with you... I like the cake more with chocolate :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, I want to bake well and try to improve :) So far so good but I do have my bad cake days. This cake definitely needs chocolate!

      Delete
  24. Phong Hong!!! Ur post made me crave for cheesecake. Yummy looking cheesecake!! And you also reminded me I have blocks of creamcheese lying in my fridge. I should get down to baking cheesecake soon :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janice! Yes, bake a cheesecake soon!

      Delete
  25. Hi Phong Hong,
    This cheesecake does look fierce with chocolate topping. Cool!
    I'm with you, can I have a bigger piece of your cheesecake with more chocolate :p
    mui

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, mui mui! More chocolate sauce for you :)

      Delete