Monday 1 September 2014

Mummy's Easy Meat, Carrots and Potatoes


My partner referred to this dish as Babi Pongteh. In fact any porky dish I cook, he calls it Babi Pongteh. Haiyah, this fellow ah...


It does look like one of those kiddy dishes, right? I mean the sort of dish that little kids might like. Which I think is true because I loved this a lot when I was in school. It was one of my Mum's dishes that made its regular rounds on our dinner table. It is simple but good food.



I cooked this dish because I had some extra potatoes sitting in the fridge. My vegetable drawer was quite full and I wanted to clear off my stocks before any of it went bad. There were some carrots too and while they were still firm, I better use them. I've had a few instances when my carrots went all soft and were no longer usable. All I needed was meat, onions and garlic, all of which I have on hand.

It was very nostalgic eating a dish from my childhood. And the best part was, it tasted exactly like my Mum's!











Meat, Carrots and Potatoes
Recipe source : Phong Hong

Ingredients :
- 500g pork, cut into bite sizes
- 4 potatoes, sliced
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 big onion, sliced (if it is small, use 2 or 3, more onions make for a tastier dish)
- 4 cloves garlic, finely minced

Seasoning (adjust to your own taste) :
- 2 tablespoons light soya sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian oyster sauce

For thickening the gravy  :
- mix 1 tsp tapioca flour/cornflour with 2 tbsp water

Method :
- Heat wok and saute 1/2 of the sliced onions till slightly browned.
- Add garlic and saute until fragrant and lightly browned.
- Add pork and stir fry until it changes colour.
- Add some water to simmer the pork for about 20 minutes.
- Add potatoes, carrots and seasoning. Add some water to simmer (more if you want more gravy).
- When the meat and vegetables are almost tender, add the remaining big onions and continue to simmer until the onions are wilted.
- Add the tapioca flour/cornflour mixture to thicken the gravy.
- Add pepper and adjust seasoning to taste.

40 comments:

  1. my mum always cooked similar dish for us when we were young, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, looks like this is a favourite dish among the mums!

      Delete
  2. wow, potatoes and meat!! can never get tired of this lah, i don't what it's called, pongteh or phonghong, whatever, as long as the dish taste good hehehe!! i remember we had this dish when i was young, but don't remember there were carrots though, with or without carrot also taste as good i supposed?? and i can scoop just this dish onto my rice and then happily finish the whole plate, no need other dish also can.. i actually do not mind if the gravy is starchy or watery, because both taste equally delicious and so good to go with rice.. yummy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SK! Yah, this dish got no name hah..hah... But taste good whether with or without carrots, But for sure must have the potatoes and onions!

      Delete
  3. Hehehe.....funny partner of yours. I love dishes like this....potato, carrot and meat together; simple and easy as I dont need to cook other dishes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, I think I will cook this dish often especially when I am feeling lazy hah..hah...

      Delete
  4. Hi Phong Hong, indeed truly it's mummy's dish. I used to have this when I was young and now I used to (or rather often) cook this for my kids too. Yummy-licious !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, this is such a mummy's favourite dish to cook!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks, Sharon! It tastes very good too.

      Delete
  6. Exactly like the way I use to cook this. Apalah, this is so not pongteh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... Just like when people say Colgate, they mean toothpaste :)

      Delete
  7. My girl would love this. Anything with potatoes - her favourite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, potatoes can't go wrong and everyone seems to love it!

      Delete
  8. I am not a schoolgirl anymore but I would eat it with pleasure:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My.mother cooks this too but she uses thick.dark sweet soy sauce so the dish looks darker. potatoes taste the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mun, I wanted to put some dark sauce too but somehow I didn't.

      Delete
  10. My grandma used to cook this dish when I was a little girl and I also cooked this dish for my kids too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann! This seems to be a popular dish among mums and their mums too!

      Delete
  11. Hi Phong Hong,
    My mother used to cook this too, and now I cook it for my children, they love it too! I cook without the carrots but with lots and lots of potatoes! This is good with rice, and for me, with a condiment of some sliced chilli padi and see yau, syiok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! Oh yes, cili padi and see yau is a must for me too!

      Delete
  12. I can relate to this dish, I cook it all the time, even now when I have to do the cooking, one of the easiest I can think of:P

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUmmss! I always cook this dish for my kids when they were young.. didn't know the name pongteh then.. they like potatoes with chicken or minced meat...I put in some tomatoes if cooked with minced meat.. yes, they love it! One of this dish and one greens, that's one meal of the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, everyone know this dish. So yummy!

      Delete
  14. I will have no problem wallop all the potatoes and carrots! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Phong Hong,

    At some stage of my life, I think that I'm beginning to be more like my grandma or my mum :p I feel like a fusion of my grandma and mum. Do you feel the same?

    You have cooked your mum's recipe so well. So heart warming to see what you wrote :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, Zoe. We are turning into our mums. Arrghhh....

      Delete
  16. Hi Phong Hong,
    My boys love this dish with nasi . And they can sapu the whole dish with 2 plate of rice each or more sometimes . Great comforting dish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kit, mothers seem to love cooking this dish! But the kids don't mind, all sapu habis LOL!

      Delete
  17. Love this comforting pork dish, Phong Hong! The potatoes and carrots go so well with the tender, moist, and delicious pork. A heart warming story indeed, about your Mum! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elisabeth! I love potatoes, I would have them everyday if I could! But they make me put on weight sobs...sobs.... I love the dishes that my mum cooks and there are a few more which I have not shared yet!

      Delete
  18. This is comfort food which my kids love!

    ReplyDelete