Wednesday 17 September 2014

Broccoli Bagna What?


Bagna Cauda. Broccoli Bagna Cauda. As I say this, I imagine the folks back home in Terengganu saying "hamik ua koh kueh?" (what on earth is that?).


This recipe comes from the book Nom Nom Paleo : Food for Humans.  When I first saw the recipe, I was like "hmm... funny...". You see, this recipe involves roasting some broccoli and tossing it in some kind of anchovy based sauce. I skipped the page and forgot all about it until Shannon posted her Roasted Broccoli Salad.


When I saw that, I said to myself "Hey, I've seen something like that before!". But I couldn't remember the name. What I know is it rhymed with Cowabunga. Then I remembered the Nom Nom Paleo recipe. I don't know why I was so motivated. I immediately went to Cold Storage to get a can of anchovies and thus ventured into the unknown with this Bagna Cauda thingy.


I had thought it strange to roast broccoli because I have only had it steamed or stir fried. I love broccoli but I can't remember when I had my first taste. Definitely when I was already an adult and loving all kinds of vegetables. At wedding dinners, I am at the ready to pounce on the broccoli with mushrooms dish. That is how much I love broccoli.


This is quite a simple recipe. Roast up some broccoli and while it is in the oven, prepare the Bagna Cauda. It is simply made by cooking some anchovies with olive oil until the anchovies melt into the oil. Then take it off the heat and add minced garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice and red pepper flakes.

Meanwhile, check on the broccoli and toss them around on the baking tray for even roasting. And don't panic when you see some browning on the florets. That is the yummiest part. Roast the broccoli until just tender and toasty, do not overcook!

Once done, transfer the roasted broccoli into a large bowl and toss with the Bagna Cauda sauce. Oh, take my word for it. It is very good! Very, very good! Tangy and salty and garlicky. Love it. Love  it. Love it. If you love broccoli give this a try. If you hate broccoli, this might just change your mind :)









Broccoli Bagna Cauda
Recipe source : Adapted from Nom Nom Paleo : Food for Humans

Ingredients :
- 2 bunches broccoli (about 2lbs/900g), cut into florets with stems peeled and cut into uniform pieces.
- 2 tablespoons macadamia nut oil or fat of choice (I used grapeseed oil)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 anchovy fillets packed in olive oil (about half of a 2oz/56g can), drained and minced. (Confession : I bought a small can and I used the whole thing including the oil because it is very flavourful. I did not bother to mince the anchovies but broke them up using a spoon while heating with the olive oil)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil (I used less due to the bad oily thing I did above)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (I used 4. Garlic breath hah!)
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (I omitted because I did not have any)
- Finely grated zest and juice from 1 medium lemon

Method :
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. In a large bowl, toss together the broccoli and oil and season generously with salt and pepper. (I held back on the salt because anchovies are salty).
3. Arrange the broccoli in a single layer on a foil-lined baking tray.
4. Roast for 30-35 minutes or until tender and toasty, tossing the broccoli and turning the baking tray halfway through cooking time.
5. In the meantime, make the bagna cauda.
6. Cooked the minced anchovies and olive oil in a small saucepan over low heat.
7. Stir until the anchovies melt into the oil, about 3-5 minutes.
8. Remove from the heat and stir in the garlic and red pepper flakes. (I also added the lemon zest and lemon juice at this point).
9. When the broccoli is done roasting, transfer it to a large bowl and mix it with the garlic-anchovy sauce, lemon zest and lemon juice.
10. Serve immediately.

Note : This is best served immediately but there were leftovers. I ate them at room temperature and still enjoyed it very much.



This post is also linked to Cook-Your-Books #16 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.

46 comments:

  1. Hi! Blog hppping from Louiz's blog.

    Lovely recipe. I can imagine the fragrance and taste if garlic in this dish. I love broccoli. Very healthy veggie dish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rose! If you love broccoli, then I highly recommend this dish to you!

      Delete
  2. Hahaha, I suspect the Hokkien speaking people will see the picture and ask: "Bagna Cauda? Is it banyak chao da?" XD
    I roast my broccoli quite frequently, basically because I'm lazy, when I roast my chicken breast, I just add the broccoli into the same aluminium foil packet. And oh yes, the slightly burnt part is what makes it so delishhhhh!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..hah...yeah, the broccoli is a bot "chao da" :D So roasting broccoli is not new to you. I should do that too when I roast my chicken.

      Delete
  3. I loves this, but never cook myself before, usually buy from the mixed rice stall...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sharon, quite hard to get broccoli from mixed rice stall here. Maybe because it is expensive.

      Delete
  4. Good morning Phong Hong.. Whoa, fancy name babe! *Scrolls up again* Broccoli Bagna Cauda!
    Ooohh lala, first time I hear.. Sounds like brocolli with bolognaise sauce, but from your first picture, I know it's not, haha.. I read your whole post, and I don't have most of the stuffs you mentioned - anchovies in olive oil, chilli flakes, I don't even have lemons at home..I normally just stir-fry the brocoli in garlic, maybe add some carrots, fish cakes.. I don't like greens, but there's something about broccoli, I can munch on them (not raw of course) one wor, hmm, weird..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louiz! hah..hah.. bolognaise sauce! But yes, it has something similar to bolognaise sauce - it is Italian. I also love broccoli just stir fried with lots of garlic and salt.

      Delete
  5. Haha I know Cowabunga too... lol used to watch Ninja turtles when I was younger :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yen, I also remember Ninja Turtles hah..hah... But I was not a fan :)

      Delete
  6. Banga Cauda!! wow, something new to me, I mean totally!! so what language is this and what does it mean and originate from?? at one glance I thought I saw " Bangla" something, haha!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SK, bagna not banga LOL! It is Italian and it means hot bath. I suppose the hot bath is the sauce lah.

      Delete
  7. and yeah, I've only have broccoli steamed, stir fried or blanched, but never thought of having it roasted.. this sounds interesting, and the Banga Cauda sauce seems to be very flavorful and appetizing, surely goes well drizzled on the broccoli.. and I actually think it goes well too with other vegetables.. some sort like flavored oil to go with salad too?? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this sauce is very flavourful. Can also use it with other roasted vegetables and you are right - it can be a fantastic salad dressing too!

      Delete
  8. Broccoli ~ yes I love eating Broccoli. Bagna what? hmmm.....never heard about it till your post. Nevertheless if I love broccoli, Im sure I love this dish too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, if you have a chance try this. It is very delicious!

      Delete
  9. Broccoli is such a healthy vege! I love it, even if just steamed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, Hayley! I like to steam it together with salmon.

      Delete
  10. First seeing broccoli in this state. I'll be cooking broccoli tonight but in a different way. I asked the same question too, 'hamik ua koh'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... Kimmy, I was so adventurous, I don't know why. But I am so glad I tried this!

      Delete
  11. This looks super fresh and delicious.. I am gonna cook Brocolli this week! Thanks a lot for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice, eh? I love broccoli even if it's just lightly boiled with a pinch of salt added. Nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if cincaluk would make a good substitute for anchovies? hee..hee...

      Delete
  13. Me and my family love broccoli!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love to eat broccoli too. There is one chap fan stall that has this broccoli dish daily that will be finished very early on so I always go there early to get it. I will eat this broccoli bagna wat daily too if someone would cook it for me. LOL! (super lazy mode on).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mun! I always attack the broccoli too whenever I spot it at the chap fan stall.

      Delete
  15. Hi Phong Hong, you mentioned "Love it." 3X ... this roasted broccoli must be super "brocco-licious". Oh I roast broccoli too. Sometimes I just put broccoli, carrot, potatoes & chicken in the pan and roast 1 pan dish ...hee hee ! So, Bagna Cauda ... Italian ! I don't know how to say it rightly ^-^!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! Me just discovered roasted broccoli hah..hah...I would probably do like you do from now on :)

      Delete
  16. I love broccoli too and this looks amazing! Never had it baked so I should try,

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Phong Hong,
    Wow, I already love this dish! Haha! I love broccoli, one of my top favourite veggie, and I really like canned anchovies, but it is very expensive. I have roasted broccoli before but with herby breadcrumbs, have never tried it with canned anchovies, looks yummy! When it comes to wedding dinner, if broccoli is on the menu, I would look forward to it too! Hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! Ah, one more thing we have in common - broccoli! If you like canned anchovies, you might want to try this dish. I am very sure that you will love it!

      Delete
  18. Hi Phong Hong, My family love broccoli. Definitely want to add this recipe in my to do list.
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann! It is really great to know that lots of people love broccoli!

      Delete
  19. I love broccoli too... they look like mini trees to me.. hahahaa... haven't tried baking broccoli before, all I did was blanching each time and then cover it with some sauce...
    By the way, you know Terengganu dialect too? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Claire! You must try roasting broccoli, it is yum! yum! I am from Terengganu :D

      Delete
  20. Oooh You bought Nom Nom Paleo's book! I have been procrastinating about it. This recipe looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Phong Hong, something new to me and very interesting recipe. Thanks for sharing, it look very appetizing.

    Best regards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia! This is good, that is if you like the anchovies hah..hah..

      Delete
  22. Yes, indeed! Phong Hong you gave your roasted broccoli a 'hot bath'...literally, that's what the sauce means. You can add this wonderful sauce to most vegetables, and from what I see...it is mouthwatering and super delicious! You never cease to amaze me with your recipe creations! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Elisabeth! Well, it is great that I can use this sauce fro other veggies too. Will sure try that very soon!

      Delete