Monday 5 October 2015

Ayam Masak Lemak Cili Padi


Well, I had to do cook it again. This is the proper Masak Lemak Cili Padi (MLCP), a second attempt after the first one here. It was definitely an improvement because I used fresh ingredients.



The highlight of this curry has to be the cili padi. It calls for 20 cili padi for half a chicken. That's a lot of cili padi if you ask me. This time, I went for the suicidal version. I added an extra 10 cili padi, just to finish up whatever fresh supply of cili padi I had. No waste. Just the risk of a big "kaboom" in the toilet the next day muahahaha!!!



This time, all went well.  In fact I used fresh santan (thin santan) and water to simmer the chicken and added my favorite brand of santan at the end of the cooking process. I also added potatoes this time. 



The MLCP was superb! The combination of ginger, fresh turmeric, turmeric leaf and lemongrass was so fragrant. Add coconut milk to the equation and you have an aromatic and creamy curry which is very appetizing.

This is good stuff I tell you. And of course if you are one of those people who enjoy burning your tongue with cili padi until smoke comes out your ears, this is one fiery curry for you.



Just for the record, this MLCP was cooked some weeks ago, way before I was advised or rather, forced, to abstain from hot fiery food. I had to put this disclaimer in case my mum freaks out and thinks that I am indulging in forbidden food.

I have a medical condition, of which I cannot speak of, simply because it is unspeakable muahahahaha!!! I do hope that my hiatus from chilies is a temporary one. Life without chilies is like breathing with no air. Sounds corny but true :(










Ayam Masak Lemak Cili Padi

Recipe source : Adapted from Senangnya Memasak Ayam (page 15)

Ingredients :
- 5 chicken legs, thighs and drumsticks separated
- 2 Russet potatoes, halved and quartered
- 1 turmeric leaf (torn and knotted)
- 20 cili padi
- Thumb sized turmeric
- Thumb sized ginger
- 2 stalks of lemongrass, lightly smashed
- 200ml thin santan
- enough water to cover the chicken
- 1 packet thick santan (I used Harmuni brand because it is thick)

Method :
1. Pound the cili padi, turmeric and ginger until fine.
2. Put chicken, potatoes, pounded ingredients, lemongrass, turmeric leaf, thin santan and enough water to cover the ingredients.
3. Bring to a boil and then lower heat to simmer until chicken is cooked and potatoes are tender.
4. Add thick santan and bring to a boil while stirring the gravy.
5. Season with salt to taste.




Photobucket

This post is linked to the event, Little Thumbs Up organised by Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids and Doreen of My Little Favourite DIY and hosted by Jess of Bakericious.


This post is also linked to Cook-Your-Books #27 hosted by Joyce of Kitchen Flavours.

42 comments:

  1. I like this, but never cook myself before, usually eat from outside...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, I like your word proper.. Proper pulak.. Eh, previous one also proper la, colour+picture looks similar, I bet taste boobalicious also.. I usually see this in Malay chap farn stalls and also my office cafe.. Mum and mil never cook this before, kalau ada pon, I think they use packet one, then just add whatever "liew" inside.. Like you said previously, your ingredients look simple, just need to gather all of them, blend only.. I want mine with LOADED potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louiz, this one no need packet ingredients because it is very simple. Can use blender to grind the ingredients. Sedap to the max!

      Delete
  3. i would want to put some daun kadok in it... ok ka?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aiyo, I don't like the smell lah... Can put if you like :D

      Delete
  4. Your ingredients wrong lah, should be: 20 + 10 cili padi hahaha...

    I do enjoy spicy food, but I value my tongue too much to try this. I notice you all from the east coast are all crazy when it comes to cili... @.@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..I must not mislead other people to put 30 cili padi :D By the way, this is a Negeri Sembilan dish. They eat lots of cili padi.

      Delete
  5. I agree....not having chillies in our lives will be quite dull. I tend to eat more rice if there's some spicy dish involved (not sure if that's good or bad, hehe) but I wouldn't want to have "blow the roof off the top of my mouth" kind of hot though. Wah, you can take so spicy, if you go to Crab Factory, then you should go for the "Death Valley" level of spiciness....but don't blame me wor if you really end up in death valley....wakakaka! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah..hah... Death Valley sounds exciting :D

      Delete
  6. Alamak!!! That is what I would love to the max...our own Malaysian stuff! No western, no Japanese, No Korean, no Italian, none of those that the classy, sangat bergaya people would go for and flaunt for all to see...all those can step aside, take a back seat. This is the one that I want! Yum yum yum!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Phong Hong, don't judge a book by its cover. I believe this curry is fiery hot with the extra chilli padi. My hubby will like this if he 'sweats' out while eating it. I know he loves curries cos' he bought me a book '500 curries of the world' from the ship library recently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kimmy, I do remember you mentioned that your hubby loves his curry hot! So I guess we will be seeing some of the 500 curries in your blog soon hee..hee...

      Delete
  8. I like the earlier version and I also like this proper version. Just looking at the picture makes me drool. All I need is a plate of piping hot white rice to go with this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, hope you can take the heat of the cili padi :D

      Delete
  9. Hi Phong Hong,
    I love fiery curry but my family can't, so whenever I cook curry chicken, I need to scale down the chilli paste to accommodate them.
    Wish I could taste some of this fiery curry .... I'm drooling !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, you could cook this with less cili padi and it will still be as good.

      Delete

  10. The food looks yummilicious, very tempting. makes me real hungry!
    would you like to follow each other on google friend connect and google plus? If you follow me,
    I will follow you back after it.

    www.tomntins.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious! I like to eat the potatoes more than the chicken itself but your additional 10 chilies rendered this dish too hot for me to handle. I think I know what medical condition you are talking about - the one that cause one to not be able to sit down comfortable. Hope you feel better soon so that you can continue to eat the hot chilies that you like

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm much better now, Mun. Thanks! I do miss my chillies sobs....

      Delete
  12. again again you are trying to deceive us with this "mild looking" curry but you have, what??!!!, 30 cili padi in that?? you surely were hoping to see a pair of "sausages" stuck on your lips huh?? hahahaha.. now i wonder, you have expected to kaboom your toilet the next day, so did you?? probably it would be interesting if you have actually included that "kaboom" experience in the toilet, muahahahaha!! ooopsss, sorry ah, you know i always love topics of this kind right?? :D

    you had eggs in your first try (if Uncle have not mistaken) and now you are having potatoes in your AMLCP, i wonder if you will be having a third one that you put in both eggs and potatoes?? or that would not be in the near future since i guess you need to let your lips and also bowels to take a breather huh?? and oh, your mom would not allow you to eat spicy food too due to your medical condition.. i hope that will not have any bad effect on your health.. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah,,hah..hah...Surprisingly I survived the 30 cili padi. I'm recovering and looking forwards to eating chillies again, but must eat less. Hmm..next time I cook this, I'll do eggs and potatoes one shot!

      Delete
  13. Anything with lemongrass, I like!! But I am not a super spicy woman.. little bit will do... cannot handle too spicy, burning tongue and ears.. hahaha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Claire, you can put less chillies if you plan to cook :)

      Delete
  14. Me too...anything to do with lemongrass... I will go for it! yummy looking dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But can you take the heat, Chris? hee..hee...

      Delete
  15. Does it taste different from the traditional Chicken Curry meal? They look exactly the same except that it has more herbs on it ^_^
    it looks really great

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's quite different and has a lovely aroma and refreshing taste. And very hot!

      Delete
  16. Hello !
    Welcome. The "Directory Blogspot" it is not a spam, it's not a robot, it is a site like yours done by a person like you.
    The goal is to promote your blog in the world!
    I suggest you to publicize your blog by registering on the "international directory blogspot"
    The "directory" is 24 million visits, 194 countries of the world! and more than 19,000 blogs.
    In comments, please your URL. site name. and your Country
    Activity is only friendly
    Imperative to follow our blog to validate your registration
    We hope that you will know our site with your friends.
    Thank you for your understanding
    I wish you an excellent day
    sincerely
    Chris
    http://world-directory-sweetmelody.blogspot.com/
    Thank you to follow my blog - it is greatly appreciated! O)
    We follow your blog, please follow us in return!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Phong Hong.....
    This is my favourite dish!!! 20 cili padi sound like omigosh.... so hot ... but actually it is not. Yum!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, I agree with you that it does not taste that hot. I think the santan mellows the spiciness.

      Delete
  18. PH. I need a bowl of rice now!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your curry looks perfect and nice. I just need a big bowl of steamed rice to feast on.
    I am drooling as I type this at it is my lunch hour now. Sobs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TM, with this curry you can eat two big bowls of rice!

      Delete
  20. Hi Phong Hong,
    Wow, that is one super delish yummilicious dish! I cannot imagine life without chili!!! I have my chili fix almost daily, even if it is only sliced chlili padi and see yau! I love masak lemak dishes! Makan with sambal belacan also best! Thanks for linking with CYB!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce! High 5! Chilies make our meals a lot more appetizing. I'm hoping to eat chilies again hah..hah,,,

      Delete