Thursday 22 October 2015

Beef and Bacon Loaded Potato Skins


Continuing with my buttermilk saga......

When I made Ranch Dressing, it was because I wanted to finish up my buttermilk. And once I made Ranch Dressing, I had to find ways to finish it hah...hah... It never ends does it?



That was when I stumbled upon Chicken Bacon Ranch Loaded Potato Skins. But I wasn't too keen on chicken because it is so.....common. Sorry, chicken. I had some minced beef in the freezer, so beef it was! The recipe called for ranch seasoning which I couldn't get. Instead, I used this :


I tasted a bit of the seasoning and it was good. I guess it doesn't matter what seasoning I used. After all, it was for me and what tastes good to me is all that mattered.

The first thing I did was to roast the potatoes at 200C for 35 minutes.


While the potatoes were baking, I cooked the minced beef. This was set aside to cool.


When the potatoes were cool enough to handle, I scooped out the flesh.


These were then set aside, all ready to be filled.


The next step is to fry the bacon. Ah! Bacon!


Once they were crispy (I may have over fried them), drain them on paper towels. Then crumble the bacon. 


Then fill the potatoes with the minced beef, sprinkle with cheese (I used pasta cheese), drizzle with Ranch Dressing and top off with the glorious bacon. Then bake for about 10-15 minutes until the cheese has melted.


Serve these loaded potatoes with more Ranch Dressing. Eat them like this :

Banjir with Ranch Dressing.
Gawd! It was soooooo goooood!!!! As you may know, I am not partial to cheese. Before I topped the potatoes, I took a whiff of the cheese (Gouda and Maasdam cheese) and the expression on my face was probably more sour than buttermilk. But in spite of myself, I topped the potatoes quite generously with the cheese.


No regrets as the cheese was not overpowering and I survived. In fact I demolished all 6 potato skins and finished up all of the Ranch Dressing. Well, mission accomplished!









Beef and Bacon Loaded Potato Skins
Recipe source : Adapted from Will Cook for Smiles

Ingredients :
- 3 Russet Potatoes
-  1 big onion, finely minced
- 300g minced beef (this amount makes more than enough filling)
- 1/2 packet McCormick Fajita seasoning
- Ranch Dressing
- 8 rashers streaky bacon, fried till crispy and crumbled
- grated cheese (I used ready grated Pasta Cheese)

Method :
1. Preheat oven to 200C.
2. Rub potatoes with olive oil.
3. Place potatoes on a lined baking tray and bake for 35 minutes or until tender (poke with toothpick or knife to test)
4. While the potatoes are baking, prepare the filling.
5. Heat oil in a pan and fry the onions until wilted and slightly brown.
6. Add minced beef and fry until the meat is no longer red.
7. Add the Fajita seasoning and continue to fry, ensuring that the seasoning is evenly mixed into the meat.
8. Add water if the meat is too dry (I did not need to do this because there was enough moisture from the mined beef)
9. Keep cooking until mixture is dry. Set aside to cool.
10. Once the potatoes are done, remove from oven and leave to cool.
11. When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them into two and scoop out the flesh.
12 Fill the potato skins with the minced beef.
13. Sprinkle with cheese and drizzle with Ranch Dressing.
14. Top with bacon and bake at 200C for 10-15 minutes or until cheese has melted.
15. Serve immediately with extra Ranch Dressing.

Note : For a crispier potato skin, once you remove the flesh, brush them with oil inside and out. Then bake them again for about 3-5 minutes each side before filling them up.

46 comments:

  1. Bacon? I'm in!!! Gimme...gimme...gimme!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww beef and bacon potato skins!! so you have the moo-moo and oink-oink fighting on the farm!! or probably they stay harmoniously together?? hehe~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are friendly and tasty parties hah..hah...

      Delete
  3. nice one, this is surely loaded with lots of meats!! protein and protein and less carbs, surely a suitable dish for your carbless diet huh?? and BACON!!! who doesn't love it?? hahahaha~~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, this is a low carb meal. hah..hah...betul ke?

      Delete
  4. so nice and after you splat the dressing on them, I guess they taste even better right?? that's the miracle of dressings, they complement the food and enhance the flavor.. slurps slurps!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the dressing made it even more oh la la...

      Delete
  5. did you say you wallop all 6 of them?? hmmm, count count and count.. there isn't any photo with 6 but I can only see the most 5!! where is that missing one?? must have been swimming in gastric pool inside you already when you finally setup things for the photoshoot~~ :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wah, you count some more? The missing one was senget, it couldn't stand up properly so I set is aside hah..hah...

      Delete
  6. LOL, glad you survived eating the cheese!!! Your stuffed potato skins would be a hit around here, too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lizzy, I have a love hate relationship with cheese!

      Delete
  7. Ahh....my husband's favourite starter whenever we have western food outside. I see more bacon than minced beef in your potato skins (did you manage to use up all the minced beef). You sure enjoy your carbs, finishing 3 large potatoes. I love potatoes very much too but I doubt I could finish 6 halves...kekeke! :D I've not baked potatoes in their skins before, did the skin come out crisp? I could try this but minus the cheese, can?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love my carbs and by the way, the potatoes were hollowed out, so very little carbs hah..hah... Yup, there were leftover beef which I used in something else. That will be coming up soon :) The skin was not as crisp as I would like and therefore I added a note on how to make them crisp. Sure, you can try this without cheese. They will be just as good!

      Delete
  8. Ahhh, loaded potato skins again, I like !! I can finish everything in one mouth, no problem.. Especially with that ranch dressing somemore.. Reminds me of Chilis la, yumyum.. So itu scrapped potatoes you made mash later? Or just eat like that with more ranch dressing? Hehe..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louiz! The potato flesh is still in the freezer hah..hah...

      Delete
  9. Hi Phong Hong,

    I can tell that you like your cheesy bacon potatoes skins with ranch dressing. You must be thinking "Shall I buy more buttermilk?" I know. I'm sure the cycle of wanting to finish up more buttermilk will keep looping... LOL!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, guess what? I bought another carton of buttremilk! ***faints***

      Delete
  10. Next will be "the other day I bought bacon to make the potato skins, so now I have to finish it"... and the story continues... :P

    You just reminded me that I have not attempted to make my own potato skins!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This reminds me of jacket potatoes..
    Have not been buying bacon for a while now...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agnes, I just had bacon a while ago hah...hah....

      Delete
  12. Oh my!!! PH, this is my favourite. I can definitely finish that whole lot by myself!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beef and cheese? I am sold. Count me in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, Mun! You will love these potato skins then :)

      Delete
  14. Must be fery rich...yummsss... By tge way, what did you do with the potato fkesh? Keep for another recipe, I suppose... 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I kept the flesh in the freezer. It's still there hah..hah...

      Delete
  15. Love loaded potato skins!! Time to get another bottle of ranch dressing... haha just kidding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yen, I got another carton of buttermilk hah...hah...

      Delete
  16. Phong Hong, please count me in the next time you make this beef and bacon loaded potato skins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure thing, Nancy! I will make extra :)

      Delete
  17. Sedap sedap! I like baked potatoes! These are really look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Eh very creative! I can substitute the beef with chicken, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hayley, yes can use minced chicken too.

      Delete
  19. Oh my ! I wanna make these yummy-licious loaded potato skin again ! With beef + bacon with Ranch Dressing! Oh + cheese ... hee hee!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, make! make! Your kids will love them :)

      Delete
  20. I love to eat potato skins and had no idea that we need to scoop out some potato meat out. Thanks Guru Diva Dapur PH! I will try it this weekend and surprise my busy wifey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love potato skins then you should really give it a go in your kitchen!

      Delete