Wednesday 10 February 2016

Chinese New Year Day 2 : Lunch@Serai


Today is day 3 of Chinese New Year and I am one day behind in updating my post. By the time I got home yesterday, it was already late (9:30pm is late by my standards). Besides, my tummy was upset and I was feeling all bloated due to the overeating.



For lunch, my brother and I planned to take my parents to Serai. We were there last year and we thoroughly enjoyed our lunch experience. I was not only impressed with the food, but also with the decor and ambiance. It warranted a second visit (a third for my brother).

Desserts counter.

Unfortunately, my dad was unwell, so he stayed home. So, it was just me, my brother and my mum.

The last time we came here, my brother and I had the Middle Eastern Medley.

This was from my first visit. It was awesome!
It was a lamb shank cooked in a tomato based sauce with spices served with rice (pretty much like Nasi Tomato), cucumber raita and a Turkish relish. It was magnificent! My brother recommended this dish because he had it during a company function.

Since it was so so good, we wanted our mum to try it. Even though I would have loved to order this again, I thought I should give the other items on the menu a chance. 

I ordered the Nasi Ulam Ayam Bakar. I am afraid that there was hardly any ulam in the nasi ulam. It was served with a fried chicken leg which was covered with rempah.


There was also a piece of fried tempeh, mango sambal and keropok accompanied by a sambal and a kicap manis dip. The chicken was on the dry side and the rempah was alright. Since there wasn't much ulam in the rice, it was just like ordinary white rice with hardly a hint of the ulam. I wished I had ordered the lamb shank.

My brother had the Nasi Kerabu. The kitchen must have run out of bunga telang hence the rice was pale instead of blue. But it doesn't really matter. Overall the dish looks pretty good doesn't it?


My brother didn't say much about his Nasi Kerabu and I'm guessing that he was underwhelmed too. This probably wasn't the best Nasi Kerabu he has eaten.

My mum of course went with our recommendation and came away very impressed.


The lamb shank was cooked to perfection with meat falling off the bone. Mum said that the rice tasted like good biryani and I could see that she enjoyed her meal very much.

For drinks, my brother ordered his favorite, the Minted Calamansi Soda.


My mum and I, not being fans of sweet drinks, chose mineral water. 


We didn't order desserts since we were quite full. Besides we had to save some space for dinner.

My conclusion after this second visit to Serai is that I will only order the Middle Eastern Medley whenever I return. 

24 comments:

  1. Hi Phong Hong, since I don't eat lamb, I'll choose the Nasi Kerabu instead of Nasi Ulam. Hardly any ulam and the mango salad too little.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! Yes, there was not enough ulam and mango salad. I feel that they could be a bit more generous with the condiments.

      Delete
  2. Just popping by to wish you & family a Happy CNY, dear! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gong Xi Fa Cai, Shirley! You are always so sweet <3

      Delete
  3. Maybe it is because of CNY, they don't have much ingredients available kot. Maybe next time the nasi ulam will have more ulam...

    Why you stress about being behind with updating the blog? You plan to update daily even during CNY like me ar??? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee...I planned to update everyday sempena Chinese New Year. But it's very hard to do that haiz....

      Delete
  4. I love lamb shank cooked to perfection. I will surely order the lamb shank!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, the lamb shank is the best. No need to think about the other dishes hah..hah...

      Delete
  5. Those cakes caught my attention!

    Hope you are having a great CNY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was also very attracted to the cakes hee..hee... I'm having a great new year, thank you!

      Delete
  6. I would also choose the lamb!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see the name I like it already. Bet I would love most if not all of the food here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you would, especially the lamb shank :)

      Delete
  8. I will go for the Nasi Kerabu since i don't take lamb...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you finally sat down for a meal.....and enjoyed yourself without having to cook it...haha! ;D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am sold! I have not been to Serai before though I have stood outside the outlet in the new Jaya a few times looking through its menu wondering what to eat. Now I know, order this lamb shank dish! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You MUST eat the lamb shank! It is heavenly :)

      Delete
  11. ooh, it's CNY and it's all about gathering and eating huh?? great looking dishes in Serai.. the Middle Eastern Medley looks absolutely good.. too bad i am not a fans of lamb, i wonder if they have other choices of meat.. the nasi briyani looks good with generous raisins and cashew nuts, and i like the cucumber raita served as one of the sides..

    too bad the two dishes that you and your brother "explored" did not quite meet your expectation from the Middle Eastern Medley.. so we all now know that we all should only order "what" dish when we go to Serai, thanks for the heads-up.. ooopsss, the "Baking Queen" did not order any cake to eat?? or you actually don't eat cakes outside but only your own baking?? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one and only Middle Eastern Medley is THE dish to order. Can forget about the rest. I wanted to try the cake but we were quite full and also got to reserve space for dinner that evening :)

      Delete
  12. I love dining at Serai. Their menu is very good with pricey tags but always full house lah. Good food is not cheap anymore. I also love all their desserts and cakes. Looked like everyone over ate during CNY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pricey but worth it especially for the lamb shank.

      Delete