Monday 6 July 2015

A Stinky Cheesecake


So? Durian Cheesecake, like or not? Obviously, the only people who would take a bite are the durian lovers. The durian-phobics would not touch this with a 10 foot pole nor come anywhere within a 20 feet radius of this cake.


You can tell that I love durians or else who in her right mind would want her oven stinking of durians? Or the refrigerator perfumed for the next few days with the reek of durians?


This here my friends, was my lunch on Sunday. A platter of durians. A slice of durian cheesecake. Heaven!


My mum is not amused. Not at all. She has conquered her fear of cheesecakes. But no, she will not come near this one. Durian is banned from the house. The smell gives her a headache. She is glad to be safe and sound in Kuala Terengganu. Away from her duriany daughter muahahaha!


Two Saturdays ago, the brother and I went for a lunch date. He asked me if I was interested in buying durians. Of course I said yes. We went to Taman Tun Dr Ismail and bought 4 durians (2 each). It was the Musang King variety, very rich and very creamy. It has a bittersweet taste which I found quite strong. But I liked it. 


Then I remembered this recipe I printed from Kuali.com. I removed the durian flesh and kept them in the freezer for use the following week. I forgot to take a picture of the lovely durians because I was comatose from the curry fish head lunch hah..hah..


This cheesecake is a very rich one, containing 500g cream cheese, 500g durians, 200g sour cream and 150g whipping cream. Very lemak (creamy) I tell you. I omitted the sour cream simply because I did not have any. Besides, I felt that it was already creamy enough.


Verdict? Like I said, this is strictly for the durian lovers. The rest of you will either gag or faint in a heap. For me, of course I enjoyed this cheesecake. But still, I feel that durian is best eaten as is. So will I bake this again? Yes, but only if I happen to have extra durians. 











Baked Durian Cheesecake
Adapted from : Kuali.com

Ingredients :
For the biscuite base :
- 200g digestive biscuits (finely crushed)
- 100g melted butter

For the cheesecake filling :
- 500g cream cheese
- 100g caster sugar
- 20g cornflour
- 200ml whipping cream
- 4 eggs
- 500g durians (finely blended)

Method :
1. Grease a 9" springform pan and wrap the outside of the pan with 2 layers of aluminium foil.
2. In a mixing bowl, mix crushed biscuits with melted butter.
3. Pour the mixture into the pan and press the biscuits onto the bottom of the pan. Seat aside in the fridge.
4. Beat cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
5. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
6. Add cornflour and whipping cream and beat until just combined.
7. Stir in durians and beat until well mixed.
8. Pour mixture into the springform pan and bake in a water bath at 140C for 60 minutes of until the cheesecake is set but still wobbly at the centre.
9. Leave the cake in the oven to cool for 30 minutes.
10. Remove from the oven to cool completely and then chill if the fridge overnight.


44 comments:

  1. despite how lovely the cheesecake looks, and frankly, it does look very lovely with the color, I will not go near.. not even with a 10ft pole to touch nor enter the 20ft radius like you mentioned, hahaha!!

    your mum has banned durians at home?? meaning you did not get to taste them at home while you were still staying with her?? so I can imagine you had to fix your durian cravings outside and then make sure you wash your hands and rinse your mouth clean before you can go home?? haha..

    glad you have a brother who is so "ngum" with you.. musang king the king of all durians huh?? just two and you could have them for lunch, make into cheesecake and store the extra in the fridge?? I wonder if your partner so joins in your feast??

    okay, i am those durian-phobics you described.. but I do like the "angmoh durian" aka the soursop.. I wonder if you could bake a soursop cheesecake?? haha.. then I would not be holding a pole to push it away, but probably a fork to pull it over.. hahaha!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah...I knew you would run away from this cheesecake lah :D Actually the one I had for lunch is another batch that my partner bought for me. The Musang King, I ate only a bit (I found the bitter taste too strong) and freeze the rest for the cheesecake.

      Soursop is better as a drink lah. Dunno if got people make into cheesecake. Anyway, after this cheesecake, I still feel that durians are best left alone to be savored as it is.

      Delete
  2. SK might not like this. Haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi 5, i loves durians too... Hi 5....

    ReplyDelete
  4. They say SR's are good but cheesecake, I'd pass. I'd go for their tall sponge with durian cream. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sponge cake with durian cream is very good, had that many years ago. Maybe if I have extra durians, can attempt that :)

      Delete
  5. WalauEh!!! This chef diva bake durian cheesecakes and I love them! I always ordered from Secret Recipe which is expensive but okay. Next time can order from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... I have yet to taste Secret Recipes durian cake!

      Delete
  6. Oh dear, PH, you've got two of the things I don't like to eat on one plate....rich cheesecake & durians!! But I'm sure durian and cheesecake lovers will swoon over your one.....it does look very well made ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry, there are many people like you hee..hee... Personally, I still prefer to eat durians as they are and not in a cake.

      Delete
  7. You used Musang King to made cheesecake?? OMG! Don't you want to just savor that expensive durian as it is?? @.@

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I basically took the opportunity to bake the cake because I wasn't too sure if I was going to buy anymore durians since it was so expensive. Most likely, I'll just eat durians as they are from now on. Unless if there are extras...

      Delete
  8. I must say I'm not a fan of durian.. But now, during pregnancy, macam ada sikit craving pulak.. I even asked hubby to stop by the roadside and tapau some durians home.. But in the end, tak jadi, coz I was having bad sore throat and flu, but I tell myself I must eat some durians one if these days, haha..If I have to choose, I prefer eating durians just like that (the fruit), than eating durina cheesecake or durian puffs or what-not.. And Phong Hong, you used Musang King for this cheesecake ???!!! Eh, not cheap leh, a small packet cost RM60+ !! But since everything masuk stomach, ok la, won't be wasted..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Louiz, if you eat durians, don't take too much. Very heaty leh. Although the cheesecake tasted good, me too prefer to eat durians just like that. And yes, the Musang King cost me a bomb!

      Delete
  9. Stinky cheesecake??? LOL! You are so cute, Phong Hong.

    I'm not a durian person and so this cheesecake is considered stinky to me too... Sorry!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, that's OK. No durian cheesecake for you hee..hee...

      Delete
  10. I have never tried but heard a lot about this fruit:) I am not sure if I am brave enough to try it:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ola, you'll be surprised that there are non-Asians who love this smelly fruit hah..hah,,,

      Delete
  11. Hi Phong Hong, stinky or not, I love it. Last week, my hubby bought 6 local durians from Balik Pulau for just RM 12.00 from a Chinese Ah Pek. Believe it or not? I wanted to save some to bake cakes but all ended up in our tummy cos' I was too good. Must get him to buy some more for cakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What??!! 6 durians for just RM12! Wah like that can "chiak kah siaw". Here depending of what variety, it is like eating gold. I heard from my partner that the prices in Penang are so much cheaper.

      Delete
  12. I love durians but certainly not now... the weather is just too hot!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Phong Hong, I am a durian lover! Already had 3 rounds of durian. But I prefer fresh durian anytime. If I can't finish them, I kept them in the fridge. I like them cold too. I do eat durian cheesecake but not really crazy about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, I agree with you that durian is best enjoyed fresh as they are. Although I enjoyed the cheesecake, I would still choose to eat durians fresh.

      Delete
  14. I am a durian lover too but can't get it in Texas. If I get it - usually frozen from Thailand - very costly too. When is the durian season in Malaysia and Singapore? I will have to plan a trip to go SE Asia during the durian season and eat durians!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine! Now is the beginning of the season. I have heard about the frozen ones that you can get in US. Nothing beats fresh ones.

      Delete
  15. Hi Phong Hong,
    Oh I love durians ... especially the bitter-sweet ones. Somehow I preferred to eat it than using them in bakes or dessert. So far I've baked durian muffins and made durian with gula melaka dessert (taste good but it looked awful .. hee hee).
    Durian cheesecake. .. nope ... don't think I'll try that as I don’t fancy cheesecake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen, after this cheesecake, my personal preference is to eat the durians fresh as they are.

      Delete
  16. I also love to eat durians as they are but durian cheesecake, I will also sapu. What is the smell like? I would like to take a sniff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mun, it smells of buttery durians hah..hah... The cake was very rich and creamy with strong durian taste. I think you will like it if you are a durian lover.

      Delete
  17. Durian yes yes yes yes...

    cheese cake no no no no

    hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK, got it! Me also now if got durians means I will eat it fresh macam tu and won't make cheesecake unless if really got extra.

      Delete
  18. For some reason, I have never tried durian. Maybe it is the smell for me. ACTUALLY, in a store near where I used to live, someone called 911 after thinking the smell of durian was a gas leak:
    http://www.richmond-news.com/news/notoriously-stinky-fruit-evacuates-richmond-mall-1.494932
    I have tried durian bubble tea, but I'm not sure if that counts...
    Your cheesecake looks perfect (as always!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathleen! hah..hah..that's a funny story. Yes, the smell is strong and is akin to gas or even onions. If you survived durian bubble tea, maybe you can survive the real thing too hee..hee...

      Delete
  19. Hi Phong Hong, I love durian! Let's have tea together :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Ann! Let's do tea and durians hee..hee...

      Delete
  20. Wow, sounds like a very rich cake. Durian puffs will be nice too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very rice and creamy. Too bad I still don'' know how to make puffs :(

      Delete
  21. hmmmmmm....Durian cheesecake ? Very adventurous indeed! hahahah...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Phone Hong, I like, I like and I want, I want. Anymore left? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amy! hah..hah...if I had known earlier I would have saved a slice for you!

      Delete