This Beer Battered Mushrooms came about after I read Kelly Siew's Review on Chicago Rib House and she mentioned that she couldn't stop eating the Beer Battered Mushrooms. That got me curious and I did a search on the recipe. I found the recipes here, here and here.
I have heard about beer batter but I never ventured to try it. I don't have any beer in the house because I can't tolerate alcohol anymore after undergoing a detox. Not for alcohol addiction, mind you! That detox was for health reasons and involves organic coffee. I shall not talk about the coffee bit because most of you might freak out.
I used to be able to down 3 cans of beer without suffering any ill effects but now, half a can will knock me off. Just a cup of red wine and the whole room starts to spin and I feel like passing out. Maybe that's for the better :)
This recipe is really simple. You add 1 cup of beer to 1 cup of flour that has been seasoned with salt, pepper and whatever seasonings that strike your fancy. I chose white and brown button mushrooms for my maiden attempt.
For the flour mix, I added salt, pepper, chilli powder, sweet paprika, garlic powder and Maggi seasoning powder. My batter was a bit to thin and therefore I suggest that you add the beer bit by bit to the flour mixture until you get the right consistency. I followed the method on Youtube here where an egg is mixed with the beer and then poured into the flour mix.
So how did it turn out? Yummy! The batter was light and crispy and the mushrooms meaty and tender. Very addictive! No wonder Kelly couldn't stop eating her mushrooms :) I will definitely repeat this recipe with other combination of seasonings and I will take note to ensure that my batter is of the right consistency. For your information, I fried 12 button mushrooms and had lots of leftover batter. Try this and you will love it! For the beer drinkers, this would make a good snack for your beer sessions :)
Beer Battered Mushrooms
Recipe source : Adapted from The Little Vlog
- 12 button mushrooms (or more)
- 1 cup beer
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons Maggi seasoning powder (or any seasoning of your choice)
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- oil for deep frying
- Wipe off any visible dirt from mushrooms and remove stem. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl mix flour and seasonings.
- In another bowl, mix beer and egg.
- Pour the beer mixture into the flour mixture. Stir to mix. If the batter in too runny, add more flour until you get the right consistency.
- Heat oil in a deep pan.
- Coat mushrooms with batter and deep fry until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve immediately with your favorite dipping sauce.