Tuesday 24 February 2015

Sriracha Chicken Wings


So I guess we are all done with the Chinese New Year festivities. Or are we? For us Chinese the celebration ain't over yet until Chap Goh Meh (which falls on 5th March) but for me it is over and I'll be back to work tomorrow. Did you eat something good?


I did. In fact I ate something so good on new year eve that it gave me a stomachache on new year day. LOL! Not that it was bad food but because of the killer chilli sauce. I am talking about Sriracha, a Thai hot chilli sauce. When I say hot, I mean HOT! Super duper hot! Which explains the stomach upset.

Notice the word "EXTRA" on the left of HOT?

I read about Sriracha from the cookbook Nom Nom Paleo and from Mummy, I Can Cook. Shu Han mentioned that she only first saw Sriracha when she moved to London. I looked up and down the supermarket aisles for this mysterious sauce but to no avail. And then one day I saw it at Tesco. But I dare not buy it for fear that I might not like the taste.


Then Ping put up her Hot Sauce (Sriracha) Chicken Wings and that got me curious again. When I asked her, she said that it's a normal tasting hot sauce. She even offered to give me her bottle to save me from buying one. But I didn't want to trouble Ping. So when I went to Tesco, I grabbed a bottle.


On new year eve, I went to Aeon early. I was hoping that all the mad aunties (I am one of them) were already done with their grocery shopping and that the supermarket would be peaceful again. I was there the previous Sunday and it was utter chaos. The place was packed and the queue at the weighing station was a few miles long. I couldn't take it and ended up standing at the fresh coconut section waiting for my partner who was too busy choosing oranges to notice my text message.

Anyway, I was so wrong. This was what greeted me that morning.


There were already uncles and aunties lingering outside the entrance with the grim faced security guard making sure nobody made a quick dash before opening. When it was time, some customers actually ran in and another big crowd poured in from the other entrance. Arrrghh!!!! I quickly grabbed the salmon, salad mix and cucumbers and made it to the cashier all within 5 minutes and got the hell out of there.


But mind you, I wasn't done yet. I needed chicken wings! And I sure was not going to endure the suffocating crowd at Aeon. So the next best thing was to nip over to Cold Storage where it is always nice and quiet (at least during the times when I was there previously). Sure enough, I could shop peacefully and best of all the chicken wings were fresh.

This is an easy recipe which calls for chicken wings, Sriracha, honey, lime juice, kaffir lime leaves and oil (Ping used butter). If you are like me and cannot believe that anything could taste good without garlic, go ahead and add garlic. The end result? Gorgeous and very tasty and aromatic chicken wings. But I warn you, it is super hot. So if you can't tolerate too much heat, it is best to use some other type of chili sauce but the taste may not come out the same.


I recommend that you add extra kaffir lime leaves to the marinade as it really makes the wings so tasty and full of aroma. Despite the tongue stinging Sriracha, I dipped the wings in extra sauce when eating hence my "suffering" the next day hah..hah... Yeah, I am a glutton for punishment.


When pouring the Sriracha, take care because it is runny even when stored in the fridge unlike most other chilli sauces that are thickened. In case you are curious, Sriracha besides being super hot, is pungent, salty, slightly sweetish and sourish. I'm glad I bought this sauce because I love it and will be buying a second bottle soon.










Sriracha Chicken Wings
Recipe source : Adapted from Ping's Pickings

Ingredients :
- 8 chicken wings
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha
- 1 big clove of garlic, finely minced or crushed using a garlic press
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- extra shredded kaffir lime leaves for garnishing

Method :
1. Mix honey, Sriracha, garlic, oil and kaffir lime leaves to make the marinade.
2. Put chicken wings into a freezer bag or big mixing bowl and pour marinade over the wings. Mix thoroughly to coat. Leave in the fridge for 2 hours or more.
3. Preheat oven to 180C and place chicken wings in one single layer on a lined baking tray  and pour the marinade over the wings.
4. Roast for about 35-40 minutes, basting every 10 minutes until the wings are nicely browned and the marinade becomes thick and sticky.
5. Garnish with extra shredded kaffir lime leaves and serve.




This post is linked to Cook and Celebrate Chinese New Year 2015 organised by Yen of Eat Your Heart OutDiana of The Domestic Goddess Wannabe and Zoe of Bake for Happy Kids.

46 comments:

  1. Ahhhhhhh!!!! Welcome back! Hope you had a great Chinese New Year! Don't think we have that sauce here, sure would love to try. The closest we have is probably Maggi's Thai chili sauce. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss me, eh? hee..hee.. This sriracha sauce is quite new here I think. Also very hard to find over here. I hope Tesco still has stock.

      Delete
  2. In Singapore, this sauce is tough to get hold of. Will def try it if I get this sauce. :) Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Edith! Here to it is not easy to get. I hope to buy some more.

      Delete
  3. First time I hear sriracha, so I straight away scroll and see the picture, oooo cili sauce la? Ingredients look simple, except for that sriracha sauce.. The wings look really yummy and juicy.. On chor3, I also baked chicken wings with Kikkoman soy sauce + Italian herbs, everybody "sik dou liam liam lei" (finger lickin' good)... Nice..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Louiz! I think I have some Italian mixed herbs somewhere in my cupboard. Must try your wings recipe hee..hee..

      Delete
  4. PH, you can get the Sriracha sauce (with the green top one if u google it) at Jaya Grocer. I almost grabbed a bottle the other day but then changed my mind as my family cant really eat super hot stuff. :P

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know we can find Sriracha here! I have always only saw it in the US. It is the only decent hot sauce in that part of the world, and it wasn't that hot either. Maybe the ones in the US are watered down versions..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is only just recently that Sriracha appeared on the shelves here. I couldn't even get it from Cold Storage. Hope that Tesco still has stock because I finished my bottle today!

      Delete
  6. Usually Sun, supermarket already a lot of people, the Sun before CNY, passed by a supermarket, extremely long Q in the checkout counter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yah, it was terrible. I cannot stand big crowds.

      Delete
  7. Hi Phong Hong,

    Seeing your previous post enjoying your CNY eve meal in a restaurant, I thought that you are the not stressed type of person who don't really dash and grab on CNY eve. I remember my mum was the one who did heaps of things and had many sleepless night preparing for the CNY to happen... Lucky I don't have to do that :p

    ok... seeing that you are waiting for Aeon to open, I guess you are not actually relaxing much before CNY :p

    Nice sriracha wings! We love sriracha too and love the US kind with a green cap and has an image of a rooster on the bottle. Check out that one if you can find it in Malaysia... I have tried many and still love this brand the most.

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zoe, I am actually the stressed up type hah..hah... I'll try to find the green cap Sriracha. Yen did mention that in her comment.

      Delete
  8. Hi Sis, drop here to wish u a Happy Chinese New Year. May this year brings you an abundant of joy prosperity and blessed with a good health.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I like these types of simple recipes....put everything in and bake :D Since I love hot stuff, I can give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you love hot stuff, you will love sriracha. I just finished my bottle :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Phong Hong, sounds interesting and very tasty. Have not heard of this chili sauce, I will have to look out for it the next time I go shopping. Definitely will want to try out this yummy recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, hope you can find this sauce in Ipoh. It's really good!

      Delete
  11. yeah, all done, in fact i've already gone back to work yesterday - the most auspicious day for this year to start work.. hopefully with an auspicious start, it will be smooth-sailing whole year long.. :)

    the chicken looks good!! but frankly, i will think some people will be slightly jelak when they see chicken again.. because they must have been eating chicken and chicken and chicken for many meals and many days during the CNY feasting.. hahaha!! me no problem at all, because for the past 20 over years, it has been steamboat and steamboat starting from the reunion dinner - and the next couple of days to "clear stock" of the leftovers.. so rather, i would say i have phobia towards steamboat than chicken, hahahaha!! instead, look at the glazing on the chicken, it's already so tempting, and i cannot imagine how nice the meat will be with all the marinates, awww..

    i bet this chicken taste even nicer to PH, since she's like "supermarket sweeping" during CNY for the ingredients!! hahaha, whatever that comes tough seems to be better, agree?? :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to have a smooth start to work tomorrow too, though I don't look forwards to it hah..hah... Chicken is so common but I love chicken! Any kind of baked or fried chicken gets my thumbs up. Steamboat is actually very nice as I don't have it very often. Yup, agree that whatever comes after the tough times seems better. Like my chicken wings hah..hah...

      Delete
  12. Hi phong hong, may good health n prosperity "kambing" yr way.
    Yr Sriracha wings look delicious :). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Madeline! Happy "kambing" year to you too LOL!

      Delete
  13. Alamak... now I'm drooling thinking about the sauce lah...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee..hee... you can get at Jaya Grocer or Tesco.

      Delete
  14. I have heard of this famous Mae Pranom Brand since my growing up days in Thailand. Nowadays one might get confused to find many similar looking Mae (Mother) bottles sold in Thai supermarkets. I must try this Sriracha sauce since you mentioned it's fiery hot. I LIKE!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TM, this sriracha is up your alley! I love Thai food and Thai sauces.

      Delete
  15. Hi Phong Hong,
    These chicken wings definitely tasted GREAT & HOT .... really looked so yummy-licious. Think I've seen this hot chilli sauce Sriracha in hypermarket like Giant.

    ReplyDelete
  16. For me, CNY consider over la since hubby started working and friends/relatives are back to their homes...

    Anyway this chicken wings looks yummy, imagine having them with some beers and a few good friends! ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hayley, I must consider the beer next CNY!

      Delete
  17. Happy CNY still.... Hmmm.... Sriracha is the US is very mild, everyone uses it like ketchup. I guess Sriracha that made in Thailand must be super duper hot!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine! Yup it is still on until Chap Goh Meh. This sriracha that I bought is really hot, even by my cili padi standards!

      Delete
  18. You are the QUEEN of chicken recipes! These wings look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Cathleen! I love chicken :)

      Delete
  19. Hi Phong Hong, my CNY has just began. I was able to sleep well the last 2 nights and I really enjoyed our first peaceful meal in the comfort of my own kitchen eventhough the dishes were so homey and simple [Coca Cola Chicken, a soup and a vegetable dish]. Your 'hot' chicken would be good if you can share some with me. Looks finger licking good. I would rather have this hot chicken than the expensive stuff like abalone, sea cucumber, fish maw, big prawns etc....which I cooked for my MIL during the 4-5 days there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! Good to hear that you are finally enjoying your CNY in the comfort of your home. Yeah, me too prefer simple meals and I do wish that I could let you have some of these hot wings! I don't know if you can get sriracha in Penang but hey, if you go to Thailand again, maybe you can buy from there :)

      Delete
  20. Hi Phong Hong,
    Your chicken wing looks delish! And with the sriracha sauce, making me drool already!
    Wishing you and your family Gong Xi Fa Cai! Hope you have a wonderful goat year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Joyce! Gong Xi fa Cai to you too :) The wings were good but the stomach ache wasn't hah..hah...

      Delete
  21. Hi Phong Hong, Gong Xi Fa Cai to you! Love the look of this chicken wings and I can imagine the tummy ache because I got it too from eating rojak lol! Something different from the usual fare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gong Xi Fa Cai, Jeannie! I know...tummy ache is no fun hah..hah...

      Delete
  22. I can't take very spicy food. I think I will die if I eat your chicken wings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hah..hah... Mun, you are funny :D Won't die lah...you'll just scream for water...

      Delete