Sunday 11 May 2014

Nasi Goreng Kampung (Malay Style Fried Rice)


I have a weakness for fried rice especially fried rice from Chinese restaurants. Whenever I see fried rice on the menu, I am compelled to order it. The "wok hei" aroma of fried rice from restaurants and hawker stalls is quite hard to replicate at home. I wouldn't want to risk burning the house down by turning up the stove at full blast. Besides, I don't have the strength to lift the wok with one hand and toss the rice in the air. Even frying rice on normal mode creates quite a mess on my stove top tsk...tsk...tsk...


Another style of fried rice that I love is the spicy Nasi Goreng Kampung. The spicier the better! But since my partner cannot withstand too much chilli, I had to hold my horses in the chilli department. I used only two red chillis (if I cooked this just for me, I would throw in a few chilli padi) and removed the seeds. And then I forgot I handled chilli and rubbed my nose. Well, for the next 20 minutes I had to endure the hot stinging sensation. Ow! Ow! Ow!


I was quite worried that the sambal I prepared would be too hot for him. But it was already done and if he cannot eat, there'll be more for me (no I did not do it on purpose hee..hee...). After adding in all the other ingredients, the spiciness was toned down by quite a bit and I was relieved. This recipe which comes from Kak Azie is very good and I really enjoyed the delicious Nasi Goreng Kampung. But I pulled my handbrake when I wanted a second helping. PH behave!









Nasi Goreng Kampung
Adapted from : Azie Kitchen

Note : The amount of rice I used is from cooking 2 cups of Basmathi rice. It is enough for 3 persons. Or 2 for me, 1 for him :)

Ingredients :
- Cooked rice (see note above)
- 15 prawns
- 100g chicken fillet, cut into cubes and seasoned with 1 tbsp of fish sauce
- some long beans, cut into small pieces
- some carrots, julliened
- 1 big onion, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp sweet soya sauce (optional)

For the spice paste :
- 2 red chillis (or more if you prefer hotter)
- 1 tbsp belacan (shrimp paste)
- 2 shallots
- 1 handful of ikan bilis, rinsed and pat dry

Method :
1. Pound or blend the spice paste. Set aside.
2. Heat oil in a wok and fry prawns until cooked. Remove and set aside.
3. Then fry the chicken fillet until cooked. Remove and set aside.
4. Fry the thinly sliced onion until translucent. Add chopped garlic and fry briefly.
5. Add spice paste and fry until fragrant.
6. Add carrots and long beans and fry until the long beans are almost done.
7. Add the cooked rice and stir fry until well coated with spice paste.
8. Return the cooked prawns and chicken fillet into the wok and continue to fry the rice until all ingredients and well mixed.
9. Add sweet soya sauce (if using) and taste to adjust for seasoning.
10. Serve immediately.

39 comments:

  1. Mine's a lot simpler...but of course, yours nicer! With prawns and chicken...sure can't go wrong! Best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Arthur, yours is good too! oops...forgot to add eggs!

      Delete
  2. wah, looks so delicious!! i don't care what kind of fried rice that is, as long as it's fried rice, i would love to eat, errrr wallop i should say, it, haha!! can be simple with just egg, or a little bit luxury with chicken or prawns, or maybe like my dad's style with lap cheong and chasiew bits.. and you know what?? one thing i love to have in my fried rice is long beans, and you have got it in there!! ADD 30 marks for that, haha~~ :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi SK! Oh yes, my mum loves fried rice with lap cheong. I should do that next. Oh, thanks for the extra 30 marks hee..hee...

      Delete
  3. Nasi Goreng Kampung! Have you heard the news lately? There's a Singaporean coming over to JB for a meal and ordered a Nasi Goreng Kampung. The Nasi Goreng was way too hot for him and commented that it is burning to the tongue; like ants bitting blah blah blah....and have sue the seller. I read the news with laugh....just wondering who to blame when one knows Nasi Goreng Kampung is usually the hot stuff meal!.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mel! hah..hah...now I remember that news report! I too was wondering how hot was the fried rice. Maybe they used the super hot dried chilli to make the chilli paste. I accidentally bought that dried chilli before and it is really super hot!

      Delete
  4. Like Mel thoughts about the Singaporean suing because he found the Nasi Goreng Kg that he had was too spicy came to mind when i saw the title of your post :) Yours look good and not too spicy. Probably, he would be ok with yours but looks can be deceiving huh ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hee...hee...imaging getting sued over fried rice! Mine is quite mild and should be suitable for those with very sensitive tongue :D

      Delete
  5. Oh looks so good! look at those shrimps! I can eat the whole lot if I am allowed, but you can have most of the rice:D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jeannie! Better put more prawns for you, huh? :D

      Delete
  6. Non capisco quello che hai scritto, ma l'apparenza del piatto è molto buona ed io adoro il riso. Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delicious! I loved Malay style fried rice. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. When I see your title: Nasi goreng kampung, I am thinking "My twin substitute with cauliflower again ahh?".. Teehee.. So I faster click & read, ooohh ok, safe! Real rice, not fake rice ~ lol..
    Same here, I always like to order fried rice when I eat out.. You know, there are stuffs like sweet & sour pork rice, "kung po" chicken rice, "foo-yoong" egg rice (all served with white rice), I always ask them to substitute with fried rice, with extra fees charged of course.. The butter chicken rice at our favourite cafe is RM12.90, I once ordered that, asked to substitute with fried rice, plus another telur mata, guess how much? RM19.80! Almost RM20 for a plate of fried rice (with butter chicken & an egg)..
    Our favourite cafe has many types of fried rice too.. So far, I've tried almost all of them.. Nasi goreng kampung, Nasi goreng Cina (yeong-chow fried rice), Nasi goreng Thai, Nasi goreng seafood, Nasi goreng sambal.. I even tried Nasi goreng chicken chop! Haha..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi my twin! This type of fried rice must use the real thing. But I'll fake it one day just to experiment. I also very crazy about fried rice and my favourite combination is always Yong Chow fried rice with sweet and sour pork. Not cheap to eat fried rice outside. I think I will lost appetite to pay RM19.80 for a plate of fried rice hah..hah...kiamsiap lah myself. Better I krong krang krong krang my wok at home :D

      Delete
  9. Yum yum, 好香 ... I love fried rice too. In my younger days, I would always cook more rice and leave some for fried rice the next day. I don’t do that too often now but occasionally as quick & easy dish for my big kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen! You have just given me an idea! Just cook more and keep extras for fried rice. I never thought of that. I always cook the rice the day before specially to make fried rice.

      Delete
    2. BTW Phong Hong, do you make fried rice when the rice is still very cold just taken out from fridge? Or you leave the rice cool to room temperature ? There will be difference.

      Delete
    3. Karen, pray tell, what is the difference? Would love to learn from you! I take out the rice from the fridge before cooking and it is sort of semi-cold when I fry it.

      Delete
  10. We love fried rice too, especially as a quick delicious lunch fix. My hubby likes nasi goreng kampung, once he went to a Malay restaurant and they asked if they wanted it very spicy, and he said yes, and he ended up having to order extra water cos it was realy really spicy! LOL. I actually prefer cooking fried rice at home than having in restaurant cos can put more "liew".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Yen! hah...hah...your poor hubby! He needs more practice in the chili department :D

      Delete
  11. Replies
    1. Tarak kangkung that day but will put kangkung next time :)

      Delete
  12. I also made fried rice, but that was last week & I used grilled salmon, hehe. Your nasi goreng looks delicious, I can finish a big bowl of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jessie! Me can finish two bowls hee..hee...

      Delete
  13. I too have a soft spot for fried rice and yes I agree with you regarding the 'wok hei'... makes the dish more yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cheah! Too bad can't get "wok hei" at home :(

      Delete
  14. Hi Phong Hong, my mom often has left over rice but she never change her style and the only 'liao' she put in is eggs. I prefer yours with some vegetables added and of course the big prawns-lah. Think I must show my mom your recipe, hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kimmy! When I was in US, I went to a Taiwanese restaurant and their fried rice is just with eggs. I thought it was funny hah..hah...Sadly, the food was not good at all.

      Delete
  15. Wow your fried rice is making me hungry!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mich, fried rice tends to do that hah..hah....

      Delete
  16. I like this type of dishes, but make them very rearly as my husband is not a big fan of:( pity for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ola! Just make the fried rice for yourself and fry sausages for him hee..hee...

      Delete
  17. The giant prawns are calling out my name!!! I like all kinds of fried rice. Any style I will makan :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gertrude! You can have the prawns, no problem :)

      Delete
  18. hi PH, this is for sure very tasty, coz got belacan..hehe.. i would like to try this recipe but i have to skip belacan though.. i'm allergic to any fermented/old seafood/seafood products. luckily i can eat fresh seafoods! haha.. this is also a reason why i don't like to eat fried rice outside, always end up with itching nose, throat, skin... ;(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Honey & Butter! Ala...sayang you can't eat belacan! I love belacan hah...hah...but I guess it is not too bad as you can still eat fresh seafood. Fried rice or noodles with fresh seafood is very delicious with or without belacan :)

      Delete
  19. the legendary wok hei is said to be achievable only with cast iron wok ... what type of cookware do you use for this?

    ReplyDelete