Tuesday 1 January 2013

Avocado Milkshake with Chocolate Sauce



Happy New Year to all my friends and readers! It is now 2013 and it seems like only yesterday when the Y2K issue became such a hoohah back in year 2000. It has been 13 years since then, that's how fast time flies by.

Although the pessimist in me says "What's there to be happy about?", I resolve to be a more positive person this year. Looking back to 2012, I would say that my most significant achievement was learning how to bake. And of course, the creation of this blog, which has brought me much joy and introduced me to so many wonderful friends! Without further ado, lets get on to my first post for the new year.

If you haven't tasted this avocado milkshake, you don't know what you are missing. Thanks to my cousin SuperWeightKoalabear, I am now addicted to this evil concoction. When he left a comment on my Avocado and Chicken Salad post, he asked me if I have tried avocado with chocolate and gave me this link. I immediately checked it out and as usual, not being adventurous, I thought this was a weird drink. Avocado with milk and chocolate? Eeuuwww!!



But curiosity got the better of me. When I had dinner at Waterlily Bistro (you must go there!) I ordered the avocado milkshake and gingerly sipped it. Whoah!!! Power I tell you! It was creamy and yummy and yummy and yummy. So there! An instant convert and if I drink this too often I will be "superweight" too :)



For the chocolate sauce, you can use the store bought one or use your own favorite recipe. I basically made the chocolate sauce from scratch by melting some chocolate with whipped cream and adding some water. Please be generous with the chocolate sauce when serving. The second time I had the milkshake at the restaurant, there was not enough chocolate in it and it did not taste as good as the first time :(

Top the milkshake with a scoop of vanilla or chocolate ice-cream for a more luxurious effect. I did not have any ice-cream on hand but I'll be sure to try that the next time.










Avocado Milkshake with Chocolate Sauce
Recipe source : Adapted from Resipi Citrasawan
Makes 2 servings

Ingredients
- 2 ripe avocados (I kept it in the fridge to make it cold, but it is not necessary to do that)
- 240 ml milk (cold from the fridge)
- 1 cup ice cubes
- Chocolate sauce
- Vanilla or chocolate ice-cream

Method :
1. Cut avocados into halves, remove seeds and scrape flesh into blender.
2. Add milk and ice cubes.
3. Blend until ice cubes are finely crushed.
4. Pour into serving glass and drizzle chocolate sauce generously.
5. Top with a scoop of vanilla or chocolate ice-cream .

Too bad I didn't have ice-cream.

62 comments:

  1. Hi PH! FIrst of all, wishing you a great year ahead!

    I can understand why you were an immediate convert, Avocado milkshake is my favourite too but I have not tried it with chocolate sauce.

    Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Alvin, Happy New Year! So how do you make your avocado milkshake without the chocolate sauce? You add sugar? It is a great discovery for me :)

      Delete
  2. Happy new year Phong Hong! Ah.....avocado is your favourite right. Having it as milkshake is so refreshing and nutritious and with add chocolate sauce makes it real more yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Mel! It is so yummy lah, you must try it!

      Delete
  3. Hi Phong Hong, I am such a big fan of avocado, I would love this! Wishing you a very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Mich! Hope you try it :)

      Delete
  4. tambah aiskrim summore... PAHWER!!! what they do over there is to 'draw' the side of the tall glass with choco sauce for the 'artistic' effect, and pour the avocado in it... As u stir, the choco sauce will get mixed up properly... Good to hear u enjoy that... Well, not too much...

    Happy New Year 2013 and keep on cooking...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy 2013! I only thought about swirling the chocolate sauce on the sides AFTER I poured in the avocado :( If I had extra avocados, I would have made a second attempt ahem...

      Delete
  5. Ooooo...looks so good! Hey!!! I did not get to eat avocadoes in NZ!!!! I like!!! Hmmm...looks like I will have to go again then... LOL!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all fantastic food Shereen was feeding you, who cares about avocados? Hee..hee...

      Delete
  6. Your Jus AlPukat would be so good now that' it's summer here, the season for cheap avocados. I like mine with evaporated and condensed milk. Unhealthy I know but oh, so sinfully rich and yummy:)) Happy New Year to you and family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shereen, Happy New Year! Oh, then I must try it with condensed milk, sweet and sinful :)

      Delete
  7. My neighbor just gave me a big bag of homegrown avocados. I should use it to make some smoothies once it is soft. Happy new year to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, lucky you! Make this smoothie, guarantee a winner at home! And Happy 2013 to you and family too :)

      Delete
  8. Wow! this looks delicious and awesome. happy new year dear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Swasthi, it is out of this world! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  9. Looks so delicious.. Healthy too.. Happy New year Phong

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vimitha, I hope it is healthy :) Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  10. Happy New Year to you and your family Pong Hong.
    Very refreshing and delicious milkshake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Vidya! You must try this milkshake :)

      Delete
  11. Yes, it sounds a bit odd at first, but I can see how this milkshake would be extra creamy and delish!!! Happy, happy New Year, my friend!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Lizzy! Sometimes odd things do turn out pretty good after all :)

      Delete
  12. Hi PH, yes that's how they have it in Indonesia, and its very sweet! Wen we were in Bandung, we had this all the time, but i usually ask them to omit the chocolate sauce so its less damaging to the waistline haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, if you make this milkshake, use plain milk. The you can have all the sweetness from the chocolate sauce and ice-cream!

      Delete
  13. It looks like a rich and sinful drink! But since it's made with avocado, it's healthy too!

    Happy New Year to u too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, we find ways to make it healthy! Happy New Year!

      Delete
  14. Happy New Year to you and your family, Phong Hong! Your milkshake looks very inviting & yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, DG! You must make this milkshake :)

      Delete
  15. if i asked you what type of lover are you?
    the answer must be:avocado lover.
    am i right? hahaha....

    you just can make it fantastic in so many ways.
    looks so yummy~,love it :p

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, avocado lover it is! I cannot stop drinking this milkshake!

      Delete
  16. Auguri cari, Buon Anno 2013 a presto

    ReplyDelete
  17. so yummy! =) happy new year my dear PH =*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cik Wan mesti cuba, tau? Happy New Year!

      Delete
  18. Hi Phong Hong,
    I have never tried avocado shake before! Looks so good, and I agree with more chocolate sauce!
    Happy New Year!
    Best wishes for a wonderful 2013!
    And another year of delicious recipes from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Joyce! Then you must try this milkshake. I guarantee you will love it!

      Delete
  19. Sounds good, looks good! With chocolate sauce and ice-cream too? Wow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a very luxurious drink, once you try you must have it again!

      Delete
  20. Okay, my first impression was the same as yours. I rarely see avocado as a sweet ingredient. It does look good, though...

    Maybe this is the thing to try to change my mind on that...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Toby, you have got to try it, alright? You will change your mind like I did :)

      Delete
  21. Oh! and I almost forgot..
    Well, I did forget and had to come back - A happiest of New Years to you! May this year bring you the prosperity, joy, and just enough thrills that we all rightly deserve!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i havent tried avocado milkshake before but sounds good leh. With that evil chocolate, i know why it's triple yumminess!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, hah! hah! since you have recently tried it, I know it won't be your last time :)

      Delete
  23. Happy New Year darling!! All the best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy New Year PH!! Whoa.. I tried avocado shake in Waterlily too, but was not daring enough to order one cup to myself. My friend was kind enough to urge me to try it. Boy was I surprised with the taste. Definitely goes well with the chocolate sauce. Here's to another year of fabulous food blogging!! ♥ Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Jo! Oh, next time you order the whole thing for yourself, ok? Sometimes they are a bit stingy with the chocolate sauce.

      Delete
  25. Wow! This is such a new combination of ingredients to me! I am super intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathleen, next time you get your hands on some avocados, you have got to try this!

      Delete
  26. Happy New YEar to u PH... very d tempting u...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Ogyep! Try lah, very sedap milkshake :)

      Delete
  27. Replies
    1. Ya lah, Jess. Most yummy foods are fatty too, so sad....

      Delete
  28. Eh , why I have missed this post, hehehe.. This drink is very famous in Bali, very creamy and special !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sonia, I'm sure you like it very much :)

      Delete
  29. Wow, this looks fantastic. And thank you too for featuring Carole's Chatter in your sidebar. Much appreciated. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year, Carole! Get some avocados and give yourself a nice milkshake treat!

      Delete
  30. Tasted this concoction once...that was so long ago. forgotten how it taste like.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Finally I made this when the avocado were on sales. Here's my post: http://belachan2.blogspot.com/2013/01/avocado-milkshake.html

    Thanks for the recipe, love the rich and creamy taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just came back from your post and I'm really glad you love it! Will try your variation and put some nutella next time :)

      Delete