I haven't baked muffins for quite a while have I? I like baking muffins because it is easy. They are a lot less fussy compared to cupcakes. And with a basic recipe, you can make your own adjustments to come up with many variations.
I used to buy muffins from the bakery at Aeon but since baking my own, I don't do that anymore. I find that home made muffins taste a lot better and have a better texture (so fussy these days hah...hah...). These Cranberry Orange Muffins are adapted from Amy Beh's Cranberry Muffins. All I did was to substitute milk for orange juice and I added orange zest to up the orange flavour.
|Hic! Ish today Wenshday...? Hic...|
These muffins have a fluffy and soft texture due to addition of yogurt. And besides, the added rum really made a lot of difference. Imagine having booze in your breakfast muffins to perk you up. These muffins are definitely a pick me up and perfect for those depressing Monday mornings. Or depressing Wednesday mornings for that matter. Like today. Sigh.....
Orange Cranberry Muffins
Recipe source : Adapted from At Home with Amy Beh 3 (page 22)
Makes 12 regular sized muffins
- 230g self raising flour, sifted
- 100g dried cranberries
- Zest from 1 orange
- Juice from 1 orange
- 140ml plain yogurt
- 150g good quality butter (I used Golden Churn)
- 100g brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp rum (optional but recommended)
- 2 eggs
1. Line muffin tin with cupcake or muffin liners.
1. Soak cranberries in orange juice and rum for 15 minutes. Set aside.
2. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
3. Add vanilla extract and eggs, one at a time, beating well in between each additions.
4. Add yogurt, orange zest
5. Add soaked cranberries including the soaking liquid.
6. Add sifted flour and gently fold until just mixed (do not overmix)
7. Spoon batter into muffin liners and bake in preheated oven at 160C for 22 minutes or until skewer inserted into center of the muffin comes out clean.