This steamed chicken marinated with Chicken and Scallop Sauce turned out so delicious. I bought 2 chicken legs for lunch and wanted a simple and hassle free recipe for the weekend. What could be simpler than steamed chicken? I marinated the chicken with Chicken and Scallop sauce (just because I had a bottle in the fridge, oyster sauce would do just fine), light soya sauce, thick soya sauce, garlic, ginger, a hint of sesame oil and Chinese cooking wine.
Instead of wrapping the chicken in aluminum foil, I put them into a corningware, covered and placed the dish into the steamer. I covered the dish because I hate having lots of liquid at the end of steaming. I reckon that since it is covered, it would take a longer time to cook so I steamed the chicken for 45 minutes.
After 35 minutes, I turned off the flame and let the chicken cook for another 10 minutes using residual heat (stingy accountant trying to save gas). I was very pleased because the chicken was cooked perfectly. It was tender, juicy and very tasty. Definitely a dish worth repeating in the future.
Simple Steamed Chicken
Recipe source : Phong Hong
- 2 chicken legs, cleaned and pat dry
- 2 tbsp Chicken and Scallop Sauce (or Oyster Sauce)
- 1 tbsp light soya sauce
- 1 tsp thick dark soya sauce (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tbsp finely minced ginger
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tsp cornstarch
1. Mix all the marinade ingredients together.
2. Put chicken legs in a mixing bowl and pour in marinade.
3. Coat the chicken with marinade and let stand for 1 hour.
4. Place the marinated chicken legs in a covered heatproof dish and steam over high heat for 45 minutes.
5. Garnish with spring onions and serve.