Friday 23 November 2012

Korma Daging Perlis (Perlis Beef Korma)



This is not a visually appealing dish. Looks like something that came up from the swamp. Hence the impromptu carved chillies. Trying to sex it up a bit didn't help much. It was all grey and blah. The picture in the cookbook was pretty though, a nice orangey and warm colour. I wonder where did I go wrong. But taste wise, ah...it was anything but dull. It was aromatic and tasty. The sort of dish that would pair well with Nasi Minyak or Nasi Tomato. Or just plain white rice. And a nice tangy acar.




The only deviation from the recipe was I omitted the grated coconut from the blended spice paste. This was simply because I couldn't get grated coconut from Jusco (It's actually  now known as Aeon but I like the old name). And I must gripe about something here. Jusco, not the recipe. I noted that when I walk in just after 10:00am (they open at 10:00am) on Saturday or Sunday (I like to shop early to avoid the crowd), the perishable section is not fully stocked up yet.

At 10:20am, that's the time when the staff would start wheeling out the huge carts to replenish the stock. By 10:30 to 10:45am the crowd would have built up and we would be jostling with fellow shoppers and the stock carts. It can get really clumsy and uncomfortable. And I would imagine it would be uncomfortable for the staff too, trying to do their job while customers keep poking in and out grabbing stuff. If you want to ensure that the shelves are properly stocked up, don't go too early. Go after 11:00am when it is so crowded and uncomfortable to shop. This is what I can't understand. Aren't the shelves supposed to be stocked up before they open for business? Malaysia Boleh!

Back to the beef korma. Not a difficult dish to cook. Just marinate the beef slices with the spice paste, then saute shallots, garlic and ginger with the dry spices. When fragrant, add marinated beef, coconut milk and simmer away.









Korma Daging Perlis (Perlis Beef Korma)
Recipe source : Rasa Malaysia by Betty Saw (page 241)(Bahasa Malaysia Edition)

Ingredients :
- 600g beef
- 3 tablespoons korma powder
- 125ml cooking oil
- 250ml thick santan
- 1 liter thin santan
- 1 piece asam gelugur
- 2 big onions, peeled and cut onto quarters
- 1.5 teaspoon salt (or to taste)

Blended Spice Paste :
- 10 shallots
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2.5cm lengkuas
- 2.5cm ginger
- 1.25cm tumeric
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 4 tablespoons grated coconut

Ingredients to be sauteed :
- 4 shallots, finely sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 2.5cm ginger, finely sliced

Dry spices :
- 3 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 1.25cm cinnamon 

Method :
- Slice beef thinly.
- Marinate beef with korma powder and blended ingredients for 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan and saute sliced shallots, garlic, ginger and dry spices until fragrant.
- Add marinated beef and fry for a few minutes.
- Add thin santan and asam gelugur.
- Simmer until beef is tender.
- Add big onions and salt.
- Add thick santan and simmer for another 5 minutes.


Beef marinated in blended spice paste.
Ingredients to saute.
Fry the beef before adding coconut milk.


I am submitting this post to Malaysian Food Fest, Kedah and Perlis Month hosted by WendyinKK of Table for 2.....or More.

51 comments:

  1. Oooo...your korma looks really good! I usually buy from my regular Malay food stall at the kampung here - their korma's very good too. Just buy a few pieces, around RM10...enough for two meals for two or three. Easier. Hehehehehe!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Arthur! It's not bad, and I guess sometimes buying is easier. Saves a lot of hassle :)

      Delete
  2. I like anything with coconut, the gravy seem full of coconut and sure to be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, it's quite a rich dish. Lots of nice flavours and very appetizing.

      Delete
  3. Beauty comes from within even for a dish! :) It's the taste that matters at the end, and this is one delish dish! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, dear! Yes, it tastes better than it looks :)

      Delete
  4. Since this is a home cooked dish, so the taste is more important than the look..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya lah, Sonia. As long as sedap it doesn't matter :)

      Delete
  5. Looks delicious, Phong Hong! Who cares about the look! Most cookbook has the photos being "touch-up" and the lightings makes a lot of difference. As long as it is delicious, you would be sure everyone will go for seconds, as homecooks, that makes all the efforts worthwhile! I don't eat beef, but I think this would be just as delicious with chi-yok!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chi-yok korma! Joyce, that would would work really well. I think addition of potatoes would be nice too :)

      Delete
  6. hi phong hong, doesnt look the same as in the book?? maybe some ingredients are missing again from the book..hehehe..this sounds like a very lemak dish, i guess just the curry itself will make ma tambah rice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lena, I think they put make up for the korma in the book. Hah! Hah! It's very tasty, definitely can tambah nasi :)

      Delete
  7. Oo i love korma / kurma dishes, one of myfavourite curry. Must try this one, i totally agree with this irritable thing of the supermarkets just stocking it around 11ish. Its the same with carrefour and tesco too. I used to think going early is good so i get the best pick and avoid crowds, but that never happens. Nw i get it, they only bring out the new stock at about 11. Inefficiency thats what it is, i am griping here too haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Esther, glad you share the same sentiment about these supermarkets. I actually emailed their customer service to tell them about my observation. They of course politely replied that they will look into it but I don't see any improvement :(

      Delete
  8. Phong Hong, I think this is the right colour leh... all the daging kurma I see, all macam ini, grey and blah looking. Even northern Indian restaurants look grey.
    There's no chilli in there, so how can it be orangey?
    The picture in the book might be doctored.
    Don't think too much about it, this is the kurma that I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Wendy! That's what I remember from eating chicken kurma many years ago. Sometimes pictures in cookbooks are misleading :)

      Delete
  9. Girl, the taste is more important than the look. With all the spices used in this dish, I can imagine that it must be good though I don't eat beef, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ya lor, Jessie! It tasted good even though very dull looking.

      Delete
  10. PH, ya agree that it's lacking in the look department. Maybe some coriander leaves will enhance the appearance.

    But the ingredients and the recipe tells me that this is a yummy dish! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alvin, you are right. Corriander goes well with this curry and a sprinkling of the green would definitely perk up the colours.

      Delete
  11. Phong Hong,
    Your beef kurma looks good to me. I use to cook chicken kurma with kurma premix powder. Those all in one only need to add in beef or chicken type, thie colour also like yours. But I tell you it is sedap!
    I can tell yours is SUPER SEDAP because yours is homemade !!!
    mui..^*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mui Mui! I have been wanting to cook chicken kurma but somehow never did it. You are right, this kurma is sedap hee..hee...

      Delete
    2. Phong Hong,
      I have cook this korma of yours..heehee
      But not in time to post to MMF.
      It is really sedap o. One thing, mine does look pretty at all :p
      mui..^^

      Delete
    3. Phong Hong,
      Sorry ah it my typo error!
      I mean 'mine doesn't look pretty at all' :p

      Delete
  12. Hi Phong Hong, your beef korma look delicious. Never mind the color as long as it's tasty, your this dish sure I'll ask for more rice. :)

    All pictures in the cookbooks, they do use special effect and photoshop to enhance the color. That's why they look warm and very beautiful.

    Have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Amelia, I will cook extra rice for you! Thanks for your kind words and do have a nice week ahead.

      Delete
  13. This looks very delicious... This is the way its supposed to look, so never mind the colour, I know I can eat a whole plate of this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! Hah! Thanks, Mich! You need more rice for this :)

      Delete
  14. Hi Phong Hong,

    I love Masak Kurma very much u know... But, I seldom cook this kurma dish, bcos my hubby & kids x suka la.. I tumpang makan rumah u la ya..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can, can, can come to my house and eat kurma! Too bad your family don't like kurma but never mind, you have cooked many other delicious dishes.

      Delete
  15. Don't mind the appearence, this beef must be delicious! I'd like to taste a whole plate right now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Francesca! If you love spicy Asian food, you might like this dish :)

      Delete
  16. It still looks absolutely yummy to me!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Curry dishes and/or brown foods are really hard to style, so didn't give yourself a hard time:) Plus I love the chilie decorations so cute. The recipe certainly does sound scrumptious! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nancy! Gotta learn more styling tricks :)

      Delete
  18. Hi Phong Hong,

    You are always good in cooking Malaysian cuisine. This beef korma looks fantastic!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Zoe! I am so flattered by your compliments :)

      Delete
  19. Ciao, vedo per la prima volta il tuo blog e mi incuriosisce la cucina speziata. Devo ancora imparare molti tipi di spezie che ho letto qui, ma prima o poi lo farò. Ciao ti seguirò Azzurra

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Azzurra! Thanks for coming, hope you can learn from me just as much as I can learn from you :)

      Delete
  20. Phong Hong, some dishes have their certain color, like mushrooms, and any other beef dishes which happen to be beige and brown, is...'what it is'! Your dish looks so mouthwatering, phenominal, love our 'blend spice mix' and your method of preparation. The added chilli pepper with the vivid color for the presentation is all you need, and makes it look so inviting. I don't prepare anything like this dish, and certain appreciate that you shared this wonderful and delicious dish with us:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Elisabeth! This type of dishes are tasty even though their appearance may suggest otherwise :)

      Delete
  21. I think something is missing in this Beef Korma. Chilly powder which makes reddish colour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps, Margaret! I haven't checked with other kurma recipes yet. Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  22. Thank you for this lovely recipe.
    Which part of beef do you use for this recipe and also for the Beef Kuzi recipe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bh Kk! For these sort of dishes, I would use the tough cut. If I am not mistaken it is called chuck. I also like to add another cut which in Malay is called "Daging Tetel". It is tough but when boiled for a long time, it has a gelatinous and chewy texture.

      Delete